iMessages

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tinny the cat, Jun 6, 2011.

1. tinny the cat macrumors member

"you can send text, photos, vid....etc" text, does that mean SMS on the iPad? What we recon? SMS to other phones from the iPad using iMessages?

2. hoanganh macrumors member

from my understanding, it uses internet (3g or wifi) to send messages, so it kind of messenger, not SMS and it only works among iOS devices!

3. jbud72 macrumors member

Kind of sounds like BBM on Blackberries. At any rate, it seems like a neat feature.

4. HoriZon-UK macrumors newbie

Its WhatsApp but now Apple will say they invented it.

5. cloober32 macrumors newbie

different carriers

At&t iPhone and Verizon iPad combo won't make this useless, right? Carriers have nothing to do with it? I just want to make sure I can still receive all my messages on all my devices.

6. kalex macrumors 65816

7. e34guy macrumors member

:D i agree

8. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

I wonder how this is going to detect users. Is it going to use a pin number like BBM? or your iTunes Apple Name? or combination? I have an email set up specifically for my iTunes. would I have to give that info out to friends for them to message me on my wifi only ipad?

9. kalex macrumors 65816

it will use UUID to keep track of messages and will be tied to your itunes account

10. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I hope it's not email related. I really hope it's like BBM where you get a pin. I don't want to start giving out my work/private email to all my friends.

11. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

Whatsapp charges a yearly service fee after a year (at least on android). I say nuts to them. Apple is gonna do it better, integrated and for free.

12. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I assume this means free text/photo/video messaging among iOS devices. No fee to the carrier? I like !

13. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

There's a free app called textie that does this over wifi, but it's nice to have an official one from apple

14. kalex macrumors 65816

Except for one small detail. Whatsapp works with ios, Android and blackberry where ibbm works only on ios. I have Android phone and an iPad.

And don't tell me to get an iPhone :)

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Only as long as you have a data plan (which I can't imagine having an iPhone without one).

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'd imagine they'll follow the Facetime model where you can link it to multiple email addresses. Work friends use your work email, personal friends use your personal email.

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Integrated is the key. I know lots of people with iPhones and not one with whatsapp. BBM is so big because everyone has it, no extra work needed.

18. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

19. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

The least Apple could do for all these people who's apps they've rendered useless is buy them or something, or at least hire the developer like they did with the Notifier guy. What's the guy from Instapaper supposed to do now? I know his service works in other areas, but iOS was HUGE use case for him.

Eh, whatever...

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

I understand, but at the same time that's the risk one takes in providing a derivative product that adds usability features to a platform.

The platform owner can (and likely will) include popular features/capabilities in new product versions, eliminating the market for the derivative product developer.

21. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Apple already made him money. He's going to have to adapt to the existing platform like everyone else.

22. scaredpoet, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

What most good developers do: come up with new ideas and new apps.

It's never a good business model to just stand still and expect to keep making money off a single product forever. Eventually others will compete, and sometimes they'll do it in ways that makes your original, unchanged idea no longer saleable. So, you keep making new things, and staying ahead.

The other option is to patent the idea and become a patent troll.

23. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

It's a shame they didn't integrate this with iChat, and release a version of iChat for windows users

It could have been even more of a killer app then!

24. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

They still could. They are opening up iChat to third-party plugins.