iMovie '09 just crashed and lost ALL my project work - ****ING ANGRY!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by glossywhite, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

So... I have a 2009 Mac mini, with FRESH Snow Leopard 10.6.1, ALL iLife etc updates... been working on a movie for 1/2 an hour, when... POP!! iMovie decides it has had enough, and quits without warning!. Well done, that's a ****ing ******** of work I cannot be bothered to do AGAIN.

Thanks a lot, I now have to work out why (and yes, I repaired ALL my permissions, it is a FRESH install, as I said).

One thing here is.... WTF?!!

2. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

Does it not autosave?

Also, it was only 30mins - not the end of the world!

3. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Yeah, the condolences really help me, right?. How do YOU know it was not vital work?. It is SUPPOSED to auto-save... but then again, it ISN'T supposed to crash, is it?!.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

It's obviously not important if you can't be bothered to do it again...

These things happen, you need to chill and start again. :)

5. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

While that blows that it happened (and it does happen from time to time), I just try to remember to save the project myself after a few edits. (option + s)

The only sure way.

6. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

If it was that important you wouldn't have said you can't be bothered to do it again.

7. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

"Obviously", yes :rolleyes:

Right, forget it. Thanks for the insightful and inspiring comments as to a fix. Just what I was looking for. Never mind, I'll go and ask somewhere that has answers. So I am supposed to HAVE to be in the mindset to waste time, and not work out WHY it is doing this, and fix the root cause, because that is really a solution, isn't it!.

8. bartelby macrumors Core

You didn't ask for any help or anything. You just ranted about stuff that happens occasionally...

9. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

If you're looking for a "fix" to remedy the one crash you had, you won't find it anywhere. If it keeps happening repeatedly then you might need to do the usual repair disk permissions, re-install of iMovie, etc etc.

Otherwise just boot up iMovie again and start over. It sucks and it's happened to me plenty of times, but on the upside, I've always enjoyed my re-edits much more every time :)

10. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Yes I see your point, but as you see, I have a FRESH SL install. I can see no benefit from using Snow Leopard over Leopard right at the moment - anyone care to show me a few?. I am a diehard Apple & Macintosh evangelist, but I was just frustrated when I ranted in my OP :eek: sorry guys.

I think Leopard offers a better level of stability, and I admit my enthusiasm for becoming an early adopter - I should know better (mind you, it has only cost me £7.95 :D).

Unless someone can come up with a reason why I SHOULD NOT go back to 10.5.8, maybe I'll just move back in, later on today.

11. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

You say that like it's a threat. I can't believe anyone really cares if you downgrade.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's part of the problem. When you move beyond viewing a computer as a tool and start to get fanatical about it, you're setting yourself up for frustration. Nothing on this planet is perfect, including Apple and its products. Stuff happens. Back up frequently. When bad things happen, recover as much as you can, and don't let the rest get to you so much. When put in the context of your whole life, losing 30 minutes of work is pretty trivial.

13. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Well yeah, I'd kinda worked that out - I *know* it is only a computer, and I am not so naive as to blindly assume their products are flawless - thanks for that. I am not fanatical, I do *LOVE* Apple products, but my rose tinted specs are broken as much as lots of parts of Snow Leopard are.

Yep, 30 mins IS trivial, you are right. My Mac is a tool, and I spend about 1% of my time admiring its design, which would indicate that it is transparent to me, and allows me to get on with work instead of drooling haha!.

14. HBOC macrumors 68020

Of course Leopard is going to be more stable at first. Snow Leopard JUST came out. Nothing is perfect at first.

Well, at least you learned a valuable lesson, and it wasn't on a project you had worked on for a week. Just save frequently. I work in AE and PS quite a bit, and I am constantly saving (i try not too when i am working with jpegs:), quality goes down a bit if you save too much, I think...)

I haven't used iMovie, so I cannot comment if it does crash a bit or not with SL...

15. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Okay people. I went into a bit of a mild rant about iMovie, but yes I *KNOW* Snow Leopard is new and buggy, so lets just leave the thread here please. I don't need further advice or even smart comments - I am a grown man and I am no longer worrying about this. :)

Thanks

16. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

17. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Are you the guy who always gets the final word in?. I'm ENDING it, too.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

19. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Just been digging through the crash reports in Console.app - segfaults and bus errors don't look good:

Code:
    13/09/2009 15:42:04	iMovie[844]	ILLogger ILMediaBrowserPathWatcher:  ** Error in ILMediaBrowserPathWatcher startFSEventStream failed to start for paths: (
        "/Users/mattfoot/Library/Preferences"
    ) **
    13/09/2009 16:12:23	iMovie[1014]	ILLogger ILMediaBrowserPathWatcher:  ** Error in ILMediaBrowserPathWatcher startFSEventStream failed to start for paths: (
    ) **
    13/09/2009 16:44:22	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[135]	([0x0-0x2c02c].com.apple.iMovie8[334]) Exited: Terminated
    13/09/2009 17:14:17	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[135]	([0x0-0x3a03a].com.apple.iMovie8[406]) Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault
    13/09/2009 17:14:19	ReportCrash[416]	Saved crash report for iMovie[406] version 8.0.4 (807) to /Users/mattfoot/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/iMovie_2009-09-13-171419_Matt-Foots-Mac-mini.crash
    13/09/2009 17:31:56	iMovie[455]	ILLogger ILMediaBrowserPathWatcher:  ** Error in ILMediaBrowserPathWatcher startFSEventStream failed to start for paths: (
    ) **
    13/09/2009 18:06:02	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[135]	([0x0-0x40040].com.apple.iMovie8[455]) Job appears to have crashed: Bus error
    13/09/2009 18:06:02	ReportCrash[622]	Saved crash report for iMovie[455] version 8.0.4 (807) to /Users/mattfoot/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/iMovie_2009-09-13-180602_Matt-Foots-Mac-mini.crash
    13/09/2009 18:06:07	iMovie[626]	ILLogger ILMediaBrowserPathWatcher:  ** Error in ILMediaBrowserPathWatcher startFSEventStream failed to start for paths: (
    ) **

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No offense but when ever I work on an important document or project, I hit the save button multiple times. While some of my apps may auto-save, I'm not going to rely solely on that. Not because I don't trust it, but rather, I want to know for sure it was saved and be in an updated state when my Time Machine runs.

21. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

I'll pay you $10 if you can find a "SAVE/SAVE AS" menu!

22. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

I experienced similar issues with Photoshop Extended CS3, Pages 09 and several other applications. I wonder if Apple ever exposed Snow Leopard to some serious QA testing.

23. trip1ex macrumors 68000

computer 101: Save when you have done work you don't want to repeat.

But you're right iMovie doesn't have a true manual save option.

The only way you can manually trigger a save is to quit the program.

24. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

The most popular apps would have been tested extensively on Snow Leopard; but given the range of models, the variety of upgrade/install options, the plethora of 3rd party plugins and add-ons and the complexity of most modern apps; it's not certain that any given issue will turn up in testing.

IME, much QA testing is done with clean installs of OS & apps (so as not to invalidate results by introducing bugs from previous builds/other apps); but this to me isn't "real world" testing.

Even if issues are found, Apple aren't likely to delay an OS release unless there's a serious bug readily reproducible in one or more important apps. Anything not completely critical can be fixed in a point update.

IMO, there was a big change in Apple's QA policy around the time of Jobs' return; from a "ship it when it's done" policy to "ship it on time".

25. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I've heard of this problem. Might've found a fix:

Link

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.