Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

155511-imovie_ios_australia_trip.jpg

With the new fourth-generation iPod touch launching today, Apple has released an update to its iMovie application for iOS, adding compatibility for the new device to the existing support for iPhone 4. The updates also adds several new features, including the ability split video clips, automatic music looping, and more.
What's new

- Compatible with iPod touch (4th generation).
- Ability to split video clips.
- Automatic music looping when video extends beyond music track.
- Scrub to preview clips in Video Browser.
- In-app Tips page that illustrates how to use key features.
- Updated Photos Browser with newest images at top.
- Mute badge to indicate video clips with audio disabled.
- Additional performance and reliability improvements.
iMovie, priced at $4.99, debuted in late June for the iPhone 4, offering users the ability to edit footage shot on their devices without having to transfer it to a computer. A number of filmmakers quickly demonstrated how films could be easily shot and edited entirely on the iPhone 4.

Article Link: iMovie 1.1 for iOS Adds 4th-Generation iPod Touch Compatibility, Video Clip Splitting, and More

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
I love this app. Update was much needed and welcomed. Not surprising that they made it 4.1 only.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
Yes, we can split clips now!!!

Hey, anyone find a way to change the location of the place you're at in the travel theme? It keeps choosing a Boring, OR instead of Multnomah Falls. I then try to input Multnomah Falls but it looks like you're only allowed to show locations from their city/location database. Any way around this?

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Bummer! Requires iOS 4.1.
I was wondering why the update wasn't showing up on my iPhone.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
Anyone know why iMovie isn't available for the iPad?

I have the camera connection kit and my digital camera records h.264 video, so it would be awesome to edit it on my iPad and post my crap to youtube.

Ohh wait, or is it because iPad has iOS 3?

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Excellent. When I bought this I was astonished that it couldn't split clips. It made it completely useless.

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK

Hey, anyone find a way to change the location of the place you're at in the travel theme? It keeps choosing a Boring, OR instead of Multnomah Falls. I then try to input Multnomah Falls but it looks like you're only allowed to show locations from their city/location database. Any way around this?

You've always been able to change the location for the travel and news themes: double tap the clip, type in the location. Done. I have typed in locations that are not in the default database of locations: what happens when you do this?

000111one111000

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2001
DeKalb, IL

I've always been able to tap the text in the clip itself, and then I can edit it and put in any location I want. Using the actual location search has never been correct.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
How about the ability to add more than 1 music clip and split/fade that track? 4.1 only, figures Apple... :rolleyes:

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Ok, so how the heck do I split a clip?

-Kevin

Nevermind.....found the tips section which shows how to do it.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Nice! :)

I am so glad they changed that confusing camera icon to the video camera symbol now! Where were you on that one originally Apple? :rolleyes:

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
I've always been able to tap the text in the clip itself, and then I can edit it and put in any location I want. Using the actual location search has never been correct.

Damn, dumb me. I never knew you could just tap on the location they gave you to edit it. Always thought you had to use their search function to edit the name. Thanks guys, I'm good to go now!

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
It would be nice if Apple updated iLife and iWork on it's macs. God forbid they focus on the computers where the real work gets done. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy about iwork on the iPad and iMovie for the phone, but most of the Mac apps need serious attention, such as going 64-bit and Cocoa with support for more than one core.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
How come whenever I add photos taken with the iPhones 5 megapixel camera it downsizes them they look all crappy? Can you not import hi res photos?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
And now we have confirmed iPod Touch has 256mb of ram, we can finally dispel the myth that the reason iMovie is not available on the iPad was because it had 256mb of ram, and finally come to terms with the truth that it was most likely simply because it has no video camera and therefore Apple see no reason on releasing video editing software for it at this stage.

As for the update itself.. It goes a short way to improving the app certainly, but it needs more :) Splicing footage should have been there from the outset.

MacKeeperFanMod

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Until they add the ability to split a clip, it's a non-starter for me. I downloaded it and was extremely frustrated trying to do a very basic edit. You can only trim from the beginning or end of the clip (which, itself is a bit wonky). It's an OK first try, but really NEEDS the ability to split a clip to be useful.

Oh, sorry for the stupid post. Happens.

ImScaredSarge

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
Until they add the ability to split a clip, it's a non-starter for me. I downloaded it and was extremely frustrated trying to do a very basic edit. You can only trim from the beginning or end of the clip (which, itself is a bit wonky). It's an OK first try, but really NEEDS the ability to split a clip to be useful.

Umm, isn't that this update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.