Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AgentApple

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
Would you mind sharing where this "Tips" section is? I don't see it.

I had no clue how to do it until I touched the question mark in the app.

Touch the clip (select it) position the red line to where u want to split and swipe downwards on the clip/red line

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
And now we have confirmed iPod Touch has 256mb of ram, we can finally dispel the myth that the reason iMovie is not available on the iPad was because it had 256mb of ram, and finally come to terms with the truth that it was most likely simply because it has no video camera and therefore Apple see no reason on releasing video editing software for it at this stage.

As for the update itself.. It goes a short way to improving the app certainly, but it needs more :) Splicing footage should have been there from the outset.

Yep, the myth about the RAM requirement has indeed been dispelled, but not sure I agree with you that the iPad has no iMovie app because of the lack of a camera, particularly with the CCK available for easy importing of iPhone HD video into it. Also, ReelDirector is Universal and works great on iPad with said imported video (aside from the HD part).

I think it's actually an iOS issue, that iMovie was written for the latest iOS4 and iPad is on 3.2... It struck me when I saw this update needs 4.1, or no upgrade to 4.0.1 iPhone 4. I'm expecting iMovie app on iPad once 4.2 hits in November.

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Until they add the ability to split a clip, it's a non-starter for me. I downloaded it and was extremely frustrated trying to do a very basic edit. You can only trim from the beginning or end of the clip (which, itself is a bit wonky). It's an OK first try, but really NEEDS the ability to split a clip to be useful.

You can split a clip.:cool:

NBarnes21

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
Splitting clips was sooooo neeeded and I love how they implemented it! Titling is so much easier now. Now i wish you could remove the transition between split clips to merge them

tjloder

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
It would be nice to be able to have more options when importing photos - like extending the amount of time they are displayed...

sslanchi

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Any reason that this cant run on 4.0 or 4.0.1, other than encouraging me to update?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I think it's actually an iOS issue, that iMovie was written for the latest iOS4 and iPad is on 3.2... It struck me when I saw this update needs 4.1, or no upgrade to 4.0.1 iPhone 4. I'm expecting iMovie app on iPad once 4.2 hits in November.

You may be right :)

citrate

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
We've always been able to clip in a round about way. Version 1.0 had the functionality to trim clips and use the same clip (with a different trim) multiple times in a project. This can give the same results as the new split feature.

jphall

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
what a crock of ****. I have to wait for the update now until the 4.1 jailbreak is released.

And this is different how from Apple's iPhone M.O. now in it's 4th year? Try complaining about something we haven't heard a million times by now. :eek:

Really, you guys crack me up.

sslanchi

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
your right its always the same thing..we have a discussion and you come in and add a totally worthless comment for no reason.

jphall

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
your right its always the same thing..we have a discussion and you come in and add a totally worthless comment for no reason.

This thread is about iMovie 1.1 on IOS 4.1, not about jail broken phones. Do you see anything about jail broken phones in the article?

A "discussion" is not whining about what everyone already knows will happen with an Apple update. Did anyone seriously think either of these updates would work if you'd jail broken? Please. News flash: Apple doesn't care whether this works on your jail broken phone.

Why not start your own thread and whine there?

tdmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
Splitting clips was much needed. Wish I had this when I was messing around with imovie on my family vacation.

There are two other things I wish it did or if it does I am not sure how to do them.

1) Editing Music. I only see the ability to drop a music clip in but then have no ability to indicate where it starts. i.e. trim audio clips. Also, in regular iMovie, you also can set the fade/in or out of the audio clips.

2) Ability to choose transitions between the clips. Also, set the transition time for each transition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.