iMovie for iOS Gains Support for 4K Video, 3D Touch

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 16, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple's iPhone video editing app iMovie was today updated to version 2.2, a major update that adds several new features to make the app compatible with features in the new iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, and iPad Pro.

iMovie now supports 4K videos on the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, allowing 4K video captured by the two devices to be edited within the app. The app has also gained support for 3D Touch, with a new Quick Action gesture that lets users start a new movie directly from the iPhones Home screen.

For the iPad Pro, performance improvements allow the simultaneous editing of multiple 4K video streams. On stage, Apple said the iPad Pro could edit three 4K video streams at one time. There's also an enhanced interface for the iPad Pro with a full-height Media Browser and pixel-for-pixel 1080 HD Viewer.

There are several other design and performance improvements in the updated iMovie app, which are included in the full list of changes below.
    The new device-specific iMovie features will be available on the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus when those devices launch next week, and they'll be available on the iPad Pro when it launches in November.

iMovie for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store for $4.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: iMovie for iOS Gains Support for 4K Video, 3D Touch

2. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

Hey! I posted this first...
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imovie-for-ios-now-supports-4k.1917041/

Gary

3. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

I wonder what editing 4k video on an iPhone will be like? Super laggy?

4. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

It's probably got the hardware graphics power to handle it, but it's probably pretty difficult to see if it's really 4k quality-ish looking...

Gary

5. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I would imagine that all the edits you do are actually on a version of the video that fits your device's screen. Until you attempt to export it, it doesn't actually need to deal with the 4k video.

In other words, it should run as smoothly, if not smoother, than the iPhone 6 does when editing HD video.

Now my question is - when is Apple going to release a 5K external display? I also wonder what it will cost... I feel like $600 would be a reasonable price so hopefully no more than the $1K they charge for their current external screen?

6. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

Do any Apple computers support 5k on an external monitor yet?

If not, I'd think you'll have to wait until then...

Gary

7. jdillings macrumors 68000

I can't wait to watch the 4k videos I created on my new Apple TV

8. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

It's on my iTunes on my computer, but it's not showing up on my iPhone updates yet...

Gary

9. makingdots macrumors 6502

10. Chk111 macrumors newbie

Chk111

11. Jmausmuc macrumors 6502a

Jmausmuc

12. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

but it's 1080p only... oh wait......

13. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

i know it's a stupid question but...how the hell do you delete a video file in iMovie on iOS? I can't seem to figure out! -.-

14. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

Uninstall the app.

Otherwise, you can't. You also can't remove media you've imported. And you can't organize any of it either. So if anyone ever honestly tried to use this app to create films, they'd have a pile of unnamed clips a mile long to fish through and hope to spot something they want. So, import a bunch of media (that's all the same format), eyeball some very simplistic edits in place, export it, pray to all the gods you can manage to get the file off your device, and then uninstall the app, losing all your working files. That's the workflow.

It's what makes the iPad "Pro", a professional tool.
    lol

15. usarioclave macrumors 65816

Good luck with that.

16. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

oh god! Are you serious? And this is the App that was so heavily promoted at the keynote, as PRO app for editing 4k videos on the iPad Pro?
    I'm speachless...part of me is angry, the other part can't stop laughing!

17. usarioclave macrumors 65816

18. canesalato, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015

canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

thanks usario but...i already had found that link but...something seems to be off...

"Tap the Edit button in the upper-left corner above the Video browser, then tap the Delete button for the clip you want to delete."

I don't have an edit button in the upper left corner. I have a delete button but all it does is removing the clip from the project. But it's still there inside the App.

Maybe those instructions were made for an older version?

Well..I'm still waiting for the 2.2 update...I hope it will make something so simple a little more obvious

19. Manzzle macrumors regular

Manzzle

I'm a lil confused. Didn't iMovie for iOS come free when the iPhone 6 came out and now you have to pay to have it on the 6S?

20. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

21. Rainwave macrumors newbie

Yeah. Big fail

22. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

23. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Why would a 5k display cost less than the current one? At 600 dollars they would more than likely be taking a loss. Dell's 5k display is 1,700...

24. AppleInLVX macrumors 65816

AppleInLVX

Yeah, I want to know that too. I've been confused about how to process video forever. Can I do 4K on iMovie in OS X? How do you use the 60fps feature in iMovie on OS X? What about slow mo? All these things... hrm.

25. dampfnudel macrumors 68030

Something I just noticed with iOS 9 which I don't recall hearing about is the ability to record 720p. Unless, it was introduced with an earlier update and I missed it. I'll probably stick with 1080p with 99% of my recordings, but it's nice to know I can record in 720p if I want to.