iMovie for iOS Gains Support for iPhone X Display and Adopts Metal for Graphics Processing

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 12, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    iMovie for iOS was today updated to version 2.2.5, introducing long-awaited support for the full screen edge-to-edge display of the iPhone X.

Along with iPhone X display support, today's update also adopts Metal for graphics processing, and it improves overall stability. Apple says installing the new version of iMovie requires iOS 11.2 or later.
    Since the iPhone X launched in November, iMovie was one of the major Apple apps that had not been updated with support for the new display, forcing iMovie users to deal with black bars on their flagship devices.

Thankfully, with the update, the iMovie app now displays properly on the iPhone X. Several other Apple apps have yet to be updated with iPhone X support, including iTunes Connect, iTunes Remote, Beats Pill+, Music Memos, and AirPort Utility.

iMovie for iOS version 2.2.5 comes just a few days after Apple released an update for the Mac version of iMovie with support for iPhone X resolutions for app previews and a number of bug fixes.

Article Link: iMovie for iOS Gains Support for iPhone X Display and Adopts Metal for Graphics Processing

2. dan9700 macrumors 68020

dan9700

3. gobikerider Suspended

gobikerider

Shocked that it’s just now adopting metal for processing videos. I thought they did that years ago...

4. dan9700 macrumors 68020

dan9700

You would have thought this would of been ready at the launch of X of few weeks after not 5 months lol

5. mithion macrumors regular

Does the macOS version support metal? Call me a little bit surprised that metal support hasn't been included until now in the iOS version. Now makes me doubt whether the desktop version also supports metal.

6. alex00100 macrumors 6502

lol and they expect external developers to jump through all their hoops.

7. nexu macrumors member

8. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

9. gobikerider Suspended

gobikerider

Desktop definitely supports metal even though I think it only came in the 4.0 update a few months ago

10. CVUSA macrumors regular

11. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

I cringe every time I see Super Retina display. Out of the myriad of words they could’ve selected they went with super. Lol

12. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

And Apple wonders why the X isn’t selling well

13. mikesch macrumors member

Wow. At first, I was super excited to finally see this update, but it turns out that zero f***s seem to have been given:
    • There's not a single new feature. The last time new features were added was more than 2 1/2 years ago, alongside the release of iPhone 6s and iOS 9.
    • The UI looks quite outdated and constantly glitches out, especially the iCloud Drive import menu, which still looks like it's been designed by a three-year-old. They didn't even make the effort to rename the "iCloud Drive" option to something that reflects the new Files app.
    • Oh, and of course, there's still no support for 4K60 and HEVC exports.

14. Superhappytree, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018

Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

Hey remember when Metal was supposed to improve performance for iOS? I wonder what happened there.

Edit: Also if Metal is supposed to improve performance with this update then it has failed because there is still that atrocious LAG when scrolling through your videos.

15. Killa Aaron macrumors 6502

Killa Aaron

Something is very wrong with priority at Apple, whoever is in charge of their first party app updates should be seriously reprimanded, it's quite ridiculous that Apple being the mutibillion dollar corporation that they are is just not supporting their flagship phone 5 MONTHS LATER! in the life cycle. iOS is becoming the old google android and it looks bad professionally.

16. UKinEK macrumors regular

UKinEK

Ať this stage, the iOS iMovie is almost as useful as “edit and trim” in the Photos app.

17. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

Agreed, but I also thought that first party apps were developed by the same people who write the core of the OS. So iOS apps are made by the iOS team and mac apps are made by the MacOS team.

I've also heard that the MacOS and iOS teams are so understaffed that they pull from each other just to get OS updates done.

18. Killa Aaron macrumors 6502

Killa Aaron

Well heck like I said they're a multibillion dollar corporation this shouldn't be the case at all.

19. Jsameds macrumors 68040

I think it’s more to do with the $1000 than the iMovie notch support.

20. firewire9000 macrumors regular

Sometimes Apple do things that you have to dig to understand why and sometimes do things that are inexplicable at all. iMovie updated to suport the new iPhone X 5 months later is the second one. This is inexcusable.

21. nicho macrumors 68020

Software development often has diminishing returns. Throwing more money (more bodies) at an issue can slow things down rather than speed them up.

22. Radeon85 macrumors 6502

Took them long enough, so once the X Plus comes out with a different resolution we may get another update by April 2019 :rolleyes:

23. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

Agreed. I seriously doubt people aren’t buying the X because iMovie had little black bars. How many people even use iMovie on their phones anyway?

The price might be part of it, though to be fair, he price of the X isn’t that much more than a Plus phone.

I know of several people that didn’t want to give up their Plus sized phones, or who were assuming 2018 would see a Plus sized ‘X’ and decided to hold off until that release. I love my X. I’ll love whatever ‘X’ style phone comes out this year, too. :)

24. calstanford macrumors member

Congratulations Apple. Only half a year late. Shows you really REALLY care!

25. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

It’s not just about black bars. This is a representation of Apple’s lack of dedication to the entire phone/experience on multiple fronts, including tone death to the price.