Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iMovie for Mac Adds 4K and 60fps/1080p Video Editing, Imports From iMovie for iOS

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Along with the release of the new line of iMacs, Apple also announced an update for iMovie, going live today. The new 10.1 version of the video editing software introduces 4K video editing along with 1080p HD video that runs at 60 frames per second "for smoother, more true-to-life action."
What's New in Version 10.1
o Create and share movies at stunning 4K resolution (3840 x 2160) on compatible Mac computers (1)
o Create and share movies with 1080p HD video at 60 frames per second for smoother, more true-to-life action
o Import movies and trailers from iMovie for iOS (version 2.2 and later), so you can start editing on an iOS device and finish on your Mac
o Redesigned Media view lets you see more of your library while browsing videos and photos
o Projects view makes it easy to find and open your movies and trailers
o Tabs in the Browser give you faster access to titles, backgrounds, transitions, and music while editing a movie
o Option to hide Browser while editing a movie
o 10 additional video filters from iMovie for iOS
o View pixel-for-pixel 4K video while editing a movie on iMac with Retina 5K display
Elsewhere, the 10.1 iMovie update introduces a handful of minor overhauls to the user experience, including a redesigned media browser, a new Projects view, and the ability to start editing on iMovie for iOS and continue the same project on an iMac. Those interested in iMovie can download the app for $14.99 from the Mac App Store [Direct Link].

Article Link: iMovie for Mac Adds 4K and 60fps/1080p Video Editing, Imports From iMovie for iOS

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
This is great ...... But....

how are you suppose to watch the final cut of your 4K video on your tv if the Apple TV doesn't support 4K???

It'll downscale it to 1080p. Just like my 2nd Gen Apple TV does with 1080p -> 720p.

lol, cheapest move on Apple's part.

Depends, how you look at it. If it was just a media streamer - yes they could've gone 4K. But with the gaming aspect I guess it becomes a bit woollier.

Even the PS4 and Xbox One - dedicated gaming machines with a much higher cost - don't do 1080p all the time (not even 4K - just 1080p): http://uk.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

The new 4K Fire TV doesn't bring all the benefits of 4K for even media playback:

"Despite being introduced as a home entertainment tool with some excellent killer specs like a powerful new processor, support for streaming 4K content and even an Alexa personal assistant software inclusion, the Fire TV apparently won’t support high dynamic range! Even worse, the box doesn’t even support transfer of 4K ultra HD at 60Hz.

The reason for both of these major holes in the design of the Fire TV is a simple one: a more detailed look at the boxes specs reveals that Amazon decided to give their new device HDMI ports with the old 1.4 standard instead of the new 2.0 version or the 2.0a standard necessary for 4K UHD + HDR encoding."

http://4k.com/news/amazon-fire-4k-tv-box-doesnt-support-hdr-or-hdmi-2-9836/

I think the 'handicapping' of 4th Gen Apple TV was to keep a fluid, lag free experience across games, movies and the UI. I hope once the next version is released it has the SoC (similar to iPad Pro?) to do it all in 'full' 4K.

Then there's the fact that so few people have 4K TVs and there is so little 4K available to view right now.

Reminds me of Jailbreak tweaks and Android features. I usually get features first on them devices, but that doesn't mean it is well implemented.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deelron
Comment

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Now I can edit 4K video on my shiny new 4K iMac... With iGPUs... And 5400RPM drives...

/sarcasm

Your fault for buying a base model with 5400rpm.

Oh, wait. You weren't actually going to get one, you just wanted to be snarky and complain. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Deelron
Comment

Pakaku

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2009

how are you suppose to watch the final cut of your 4K video on your tv if the Apple TV doesn't support 4K???
Apple TV is for consumption purposes only. Watching content you've created is un-Apple-like.

Comment

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
Are you logged into the App Store? It is free for most people who have purchased Macs in recent years.
yes i'm logged in... I believe you're right. But, if someone wants 4k they'll need a 2013 Mac or later thus no need to spend 14$ if you can't get it for free

Reactions: tomnavratil
Comment

LordBeelzebub

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013

Exactly! This is probably the biggest flop of Apple TV. New iPhone 6S supports 4K, iMovie now upgraded to support it, but Apple doesn't think to to add it to the one thing that should be able to display it on your TV? I don't understand that, that's ignorant to me.

Comment

goomba478

macrumors regular
May 10, 2012
You have no idea how happy this makes me! Last month I started a new YouTube show that I record exclusively with my iPhone and a small tripod. Having the bump up to 4K with the iPhone 6S means the video I'm shooting is infinitely better looking but I had a hard time editing on my phone/Mac back and forth as there was no easy way to do so. I searched all over the Internet for a way to do it and came up way short. Thanks Apple!

Reactions: Radio Signal
Comment

thekhan

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
almaty
along with 1080p HD video that runs at 60 frames per second "for smoother, more true-to-life action." ability to start editing on iMovie for iOS and continue the same project on an iMac.

If only iMovie on iOS could support 1080p at 60 frames per sec editing...

Comment

dmylrea

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2005
Your fault for buying a base model with 5400rpm.

Oh, wait. You weren't actually going to get one, you just wanted to be snarky and complain. :rolleyes:
You'd think the main reason for supplying a 4K screen in a computer is to allow the user to create and playback 4k video. Is that not true? Yet, Apple sells a BRAND NEW MODEL iMac with 4K display and a HDD that won't be capable of handling that. And that's the consumers fault?

Comment

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
You'd think the main reason for supplying a 4K screen in a computer is to allow the user to create and playback 4k video. Is that not true?

I'm gonna go with no, not true.

Have you got any source to backup that claim?

Personally I think the base model will be use by moms and pops, older people, students and basic home office types. Tasks like word processing, social media, web browsing. You know the Joe Average consumer who just wants an easy to use computer that's built well, will last 5+ years and looks good to boot.

Luckily Apple has data on their users so they can tailor their machines to intended use cases at price points which will sell.

Comment

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Now I can edit 4K video on my shiny new 4K iMac... With iGPUs... And 5400RPM drives...

/sarcasm

Think of it this way. There is a 5k iMac model that is for viewing 4k content, and there is a 5k iMac model that is for editing 4k content. Pick accordingly.

Reactions: CPx
Comment

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany

Easy fix, as per usual you play the obligatory 1-year long waiting game to get feature parity, because they feel holding back features to sell the next iteration is the way to go.

This also reminds me of the lack of at least one USB-C port on the new iMac.
Or Thunderbolt 3.
Just two, more recent examples.

Glassed Silver:mac

Comment

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
It'll downscale it to 1080p. Just like my 2nd Gen Apple TV does with 1080p -> 720p.

Depends, how you look at it. If it was just a media streamer - yes they could've gone 4K. But with the gaming aspect I guess it becomes a bit woollier.

Even the PS4 and Xbox One - dedicated gaming machines with a much higher cost - don't do 1080p all the time (not even 4K - just 1080p): http://uk.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

The new 4K Fire TV doesn't bring all the benefits of 4K for even media playback:

"Despite being introduced as a home entertainment tool with some excellent killer specs like a powerful new processor, support for streaming 4K content and even an Alexa personal assistant software inclusion, the Fire TV apparently won’t support high dynamic range! Even worse, the box doesn’t even support transfer of 4K ultra HD at 60Hz.

The reason for both of these major holes in the design of the Fire TV is a simple one: a more detailed look at the boxes specs reveals that Amazon decided to give their new device HDMI ports with the old 1.4 standard instead of the new 2.0 version or the 2.0a standard necessary for 4K UHD + HDR encoding."

http://4k.com/news/amazon-fire-4k-tv-box-doesnt-support-hdr-or-hdmi-2-9836/

I think the 'handicapping' of 4th Gen Apple TV was to keep a fluid, lag free experience across games, movies and the UI. I hope once the next version is released it has the SoC (similar to iPad Pro?) to do it all in 'full' 4K.

Then there's the fact that so few people have 4K TVs and there is so little 4K available to view right now.

Reminds me of Jailbreak tweaks and Android features. I usually get features first on them devices, but that doesn't mean it is well implemented.

Thanks for the in depth explanation. 4K downscaled to 1080p looks better than regular 1080p imho

Last edited:
Comment

mrdctaylor

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2009
So has anyone else updated? It doesn't look like you can rearrange the "frames" any more. I also cannot get the Libraries frame to resize in width. Is anyone else noticing this?

Comment

e1me5

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
You'd think the main reason for supplying a 4K screen in a computer is to allow the user to create and playback 4k video. Is that not true? Yet, Apple sells a BRAND NEW MODEL iMac with 4K display and a HDD that won't be capable of handling that. And that's the consumers fault?
Who says it can't handle 4K with those specs? Did you try it?

Comment

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
have they aded the feature back in yet that allows you to delete the middle of a clip to free up space?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.