iMovie stinks!! Suggestions for alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by m021478, Sep 14, 2009.

1. m021478 macrumors 6502

iMovie 8.0.4 that comes bundled with iLife '09 is hands down the worst piece of crap, pathetic attempt at a useable piece of software I've ever tried to use.

Anyone care to offer any suggestions (other than Final Cut Studio/Pro/Express)?

Thanks!

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Have you gone through the tutorials? Its approach is different, but actually fairly powerful.

If you're used to something like FCE/FP (and that type of non-linear editing system), then you will NOT like iMovie - at first. Once you learn its style and limits, you can put together something fairly complex with a minimum effort.

3. m021478 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have dozens of smaller issues with iMovie, but my main problem is with its approach to clip organization (incidentally, this is also my main gripe with iPhoto).

I tend to work better when using Folders/Collections/Buckets, similar to the way an app like Adobe Lightroom allows for images to be organized using folders in the Finder and temporary collections/smart collections can be created at will. I am just so over the idea of 'Events' for organizing my Movies and Photos...it just doesn't work in practice the way it does in theory (not for me anyway)!

Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!