Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
the problem is if theyre serious about online movie editing they'd basically have to give every editor theyre own dedicated quad core server, not to mention bandwith and so on, i think the idea of iwork in the cloud is great but imovie, hmmm :rolleyes:

I was thinking that the App would be web based, but the video and processing would be done locally. Therefore, no heavy processing on the server side, no uploading large HD files through the web.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I think it's just going to be a lot of integration with Mobile Me. They can't put the app online. It's not reasonable without charging a price for adequate storage and the strain on the servers would be ridiculous. Also, if they did charge, it would be defeating the purpose of the media centered approach they are aiming for.

I was thinking that the App would be web based, but the video and processing would be done locally. Therefore, no heavy processing on the server side, no uploading large HD files through the web.

The point of that would be . . . ?

tobyx

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
Berlin, Germany
iPhoto already sends it's content to the special Gallery section on MobileMe's iDisk.

I recently had iPhoto upload/sync a 53 image gallery to my MobileMe web gallery over my 50 MBit connection at home. It took 32 minutes.

iTunes already syncs over the cloud.

It doesn't even sync to another Mac in your local network, what do you mean :eek: ?

iPhone data plan is unlimited (sorry I am not an ATT user so I dont know for sure).

Not even the Wi-Fi Music Store or the App Store (with apps above 10 MB) are available over EDGE or 3G. For a reason.

iWork being integrated into the cloud doesnt prevent you from using it on a stationery mac.

If the iWork apps, as many have said before, are integrated as an alternative to work on the road, so be it. But replacing the desktop apps is just plain wrong. No matter how good WebKit gets, there are too many downsides with no upside to it at all. None.

Good: iWork web apps alongside the new iWork suite.
Bad: iWork web apps.

Microsoft would love it, people would buy Office lol.

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
The point of that would be . . . ?

I would assume that this would be a move targeted at the YouTube generation, and that there would be simple tools to upload your final creation to YouTube or sync it to your iPod. The ultimate goal: sell more iPhones and iPods. If Apple feels that iMovie is not going to help move Macs in a massive way, this might be a strategy direction change to try to use it to sell more iPods and iPhones.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
would you use photoshop.com over photoshop? iMovie cloud version will probably be very very scaled down.

I would if photoshop.com was as full featured as say Photoshop Elements (ignoring the issues with speed and storage).

This is really the hot trend right now — cloud computing. Of course, they've been shouting "thin client, web services" since the 1990's.

From a corporate perspective, I understand why they want to move everything into the cloud — the fact that they can now charge us by the [year, hour, minute, process, etc] and it cuts down on piracy.

I'm not sure I buy its "good for the consumer."

By the way, Microsoft is also transitioning "Windows Movie Maker" into "Windows Live Movie Maker" and it's currently available as a downloadable beta.

sphoenix

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2008
Can't agree more.
Me too.

All these "cloud" features that Apple is coming up with are not going to benefit the majority of Mac owners IMO. Maybe it's the service or maybe it's the price. Whatever it is, Apple's gotta get into shape this year because the economy sure as hell won't be on their side.

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
I recently had iPhoto upload/sync a 53 image gallery to my MobileMe web gallery over my 50 MBit connection at home. It took 32 minutes.

It doesn't even sync to another Mac in your local network, what do you mean :eek: ?

Not even the Wi-Fi Music Store or the App Store (with apps above 10 MB) are available over EDGE or 3G. For a reason.

If the iWork apps, as many have said before, are integrated as an alternative to work on the road, so be it. But replacing the desktop apps is just plain wrong. No matter how good WebKit gets, there are too many downsides with no upside to it at all. None.

Good: iWork web apps alongside the new iWork suite.
Bad: iWork web apps.

Microsoft would love it, people would buy Office lol.

Wow - 53 images in 35 minutes - something is wrong there. With comcast here, I can upload galleries that size in just a few minutes.

The iWork and iMovie moves to web apps are just rumors at this stage, and we have yet to even see Apple's implementation and you are already writing them off. Knowing Apple, they will see the advantages and disadvantages of the web apps, and come up with a very elegant way of tapping the best of both worlds, like Apple has such a knack of doing. I for one am waiting to see how they approach it before I get so critical of the concept.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I actually like iMovie '08 in terms of navigation and the overall interface, but it needs some serious work like the inclusion of a Timeline Mode and Video Effects to name two major omissions. Tagging video clips would be great as well so you can search across the various events.

As for the cloud thing, this has got to be false. There is no way you can edit 1080p HD across a web app. It would be atrocious. What I can see happening is better Mobile Me integration maybe, but a whole App?

Macworld is getting much more interesting with all of this. I do like the fact that iWork and iLife are likely being updated, I just don't have much faith in Apple's ability to build web apps after the MobileMe disaster.

joemama

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2003
Not gonna happen

Guys, think about it....

Let's say for arguments sake that Apple would first let you upload GIGS of raw DV footage to their server. Second, that would take forever over any internet connection....who would wait for that?

And then moving clips, adding transitions..could you imagine?

I can't. Apple needs to concentrate on making iMovie 6 better (not 08). Features like multiple video tracks, removing some of the audio glitches.

Aside from that, iMovie 6 HD is a fantastic BASIC video editing program.

iSimx

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
well although I hate the idea of this cloud computing this is one way of solving pirated software.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I really hope all these web-based iLife rumours are false.

I totally hate web-based apps except when they can't be avoided (e.g. Webmail when working from another computer).

Imagine having to be online just to be able to type some notes. Always having to have an ugly 3G dongle sticking out of my macbook. No, that's not it for me.

The whole online apps hype already crashed and burned years ago and good riddance. I really hope Apple doesn't drag that one out of the sewer.

Edit: Sorry I want to elaborate a bit more so this doesn't come across as just a rant.

What I don't like about web apps is the requirement of continuous internet, the slow responsiveness, simplified features and the loss of control over my data. I know it is a very good model for certain apps, for example Google Maps (with Street view and sattelite view). Google Maps requires such an enormous backend database that it would never fit on a DVD or even a laptop, also having the nuisance of updating all the time. So yes, I do think the online app hype did yield some useful stuff.

But in general, more content-crating Apps like the iLife suite are in my view much better left offline. It would really be a hassle having to be online everywhere (not to mention the poor 3G coverage in rural areas). The simple fact of running inside a web browser puts a lot of constraints on the application which are usually not beneficial.

Online apps have been a hype for a long time. First there was Sun with Java (and their terribly slow JavaStation). Then there was Microsoft .NET. But people still buy MS Office and that's for a reason. It's just better that way.

rented mule

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2006
Have fun uploading 28 GB of home movie footage to MobileMe servers. See you in 2011 when the upload has finished.

Rumor is fake.

Unless we go back from HD to thumbnail-sized 5 fps movies. Yeah right :D

Exactly. I'm sick and tired of the unsubstantiated rumors on this site and sites like Ars picking up these ridiculous rumors.

There's no way anyone would upload gigs and gigs of video to a slow ass cloud network. Heck, in most countries (including Canada for god's sake), ISPs cap the monthly bandwidth at 20 GB or 60 GB unless they're willing to sign over their house and souls to the ISP...at which point you get 100 GB.

Why would Apple give up their awesome frameworks and UI for a slow web-based app? They wouldn't.

MacRumors...I demand you stop with this ********. Stop reporting some 8-year old kid's rumor as some solid piece of info.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
How about they give me iMovie 06 back since 08 is complete garbage :mad:
iMovie 06 was garbage. It was in long need of an overhaul.

All they need to do for 09 is add in some better effects/audio manipulation, smooth over the whole skimming process which is currently a bit jerkey. Other than that, iMovie 08 is faster in every way, easier to use in every way, and the dark theme is brilliant for when you are working for hours at a time. A white background is like looking at a lightbulb.

But yes you would be mad to believe all of this will be online only. It will be to complement the desktop versions.

Whats the next rumour? A browser based version of Safari :D.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
perhaps this will be like the online Photoshop. something to get people using your product and then once they master that, they will want more features that are in the paid version...and that might make people make the Windows-> Mac switch.

i personally don't see a problem with it. And maybe it will only perform Web-style videos, good for YouTube and the like.

rockdog

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2005
N Idaho
This seems like one bad idea after another. My hope is that this ability is just a component of the overall suite.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
I doubt that this rumor is true because it would take forever to upload any amount of movie footage onto the servers. iWork is one thing, but iMovie would be impossible to execute using today's technology. Do these people even think about the logistics of these things before spouting off random predictions?

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Sounds like there may be a cloud based version of iWork for the iPhone.

I doubt very much that iMovie will be made as an online app for obvious reasons.

jpine

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
For me, the current iMovie is a turd. iMovie in the cloud will be a bad case of the runs.

Nov 6, 2007
this is gonna be a rant and too many people to try to quote

1. I do not want a totally web based app. I have highspeed DSL, even at that it takes a while to upload. the problem with the internet is download is so fast, but upload has never been so good - even with highspeed internet, some upload only happens at the speed of a 56k modem (or a little better).

2. What scares me is Microsfot filed a patend to increase recurring revenue where the charge comes from the amount of time you use it. which basically means internet and logging onto a server (the actual patent wavered back and forth - really schzophrenic to read and a lot of assumptions).

I do not want to be moved to a point that all my computing I must pay for monthly. especially since I still use some applications that were designed on Windows 98 (payed for it once, and got years of use out it). I did not upgrade because the new versions were junk and I was transitioning from Windows to Apple (Which is better apps coupled with better hardware and improved processing). But there does come a time, when even it you do not want to, you have to upgrade because the new hardware will not run the older applications.

I think this is where software companies will be more controlling and not put out good applications, after all - if it is a service; then you are stuck using whatever version they throw at you and then there is no downgrading or going back to prior (better) versions. Also once you upload your stuff - good luck getting it back if you cancel.

Then, who's property is it? Basically once it is sitting on a server, the company can then use YOUR media how they want. there are some online companies i contribute images to, that allow people to download for free to use in worship. In their terms it states that my contributions may become part of a collection offering, to which the company can charge for - but I receive no rights or benefits (ie payment for use of my media)

I do not think the internet is capable of people uploading 3-4gb of data and not to mention, I do not want everything I have on the internet (especially if it is financial, confidential, etc). the last thing I want to read is a server got hacked and the notes I had on a person I was counseling is now free for all to read. Thus why I do not use google docs, idisk, etc - unless it is harmless information and I know I am not going to be near my own laptop (which is very very seldom).

For any company to go entirely web-based and take the power out the of local computer is actually stupid. there would have to be major server improvement, not to mention the US would have to seriously beef up its infrustructure to provide free highspeed city-wide wireless internet.

I support MS-SQL, one of the biggest bottlenecks is pulling large amounts of data through Internet Explorer. IE cannot handle displaying 100mb-500mb files.

I think this is a BAD BAD idea. First of all, as it stands now - web apps can't control hardware processing, like a native application running locally on an OS. There is not enough internet processing, nor security in the world to support everyone uploading all that data.

an iwork-lite (runs on the local device, not in the cloud) is one thing, as it allows people to work on the road and usually those documents are a few kilobytes to maybe 5mb.

Videos, when you are talking 6-10gb for all the media that is needed for a project, to produce a finished 1gb video - can we say instead of 5-6 hrs to make a video, it now will take me a week or more....

I think if Apple does go this route - they will lose sales by the drones:

1. why buy a mac? I would not need that stability or power anymore any old cheap throw away PC would work.

2. For that matter, why even buy OS X or Windows? if it is web, browser-based what is to stop it from working on linux? just download the latest free linux, fire up a browser and go.

3. want to see linux increase? people will get so ticked at the lack of speed and problems of web apps, more open source communities will start releasing free linux apps.

No No No.. this is a mistake for any company. Especially when you are dealing if processing, storage hogging apps like photos and videos.

Oh, and I tried 280slides last night after the prior thread (i only had one slide):

1. timed out trying to save my work.
2. timed out trying to download into a ppt on my PC.

It told me to try later. ok? so I lost my work. :eek:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Whats the next rumour? A browser based version of Safari :D.

Best comment yet. ;)

This thread is yet another example of induced mass hysteria. The rumor does not imply that Apple will be abandoning the Mac-based version of iMovie or any other application. These rumors do add up to something potentially big, like a Grande iPod touch with advanced support for applications via the net. If this happens, everybody will be falling all over themselves to tell us how cool it is. So why the massive freak out now?

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
Who the hell comes up with this idiotic crap... NLE in the cloud right... Now I know, since Steve is in the clouds within a year or so he wants to take Mac with him...

Edit: The idea of uploading all your captured rushes in the cloud is beyond insane even if you are just hobbyist working with iMovie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.