Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I recently came back from a trip where I had a digital camera and my iPad. Every day I imported photos from my camera to my iPad. I had an album where the photos were organized with tags. In my attempts to move these pictures from iPhoto on my iPad to iPhoto on my Mac, I started by connecting my iPad directly to my Mac. iPhoto on my Mac popped open and I thought "great" as it offered to import all my pictures. I've organized the pictures on my iPad with tags and transferring them from an iPhoto equipped iPad to iPhoto on my Mac would surely maintain these tags, right? right? Apparently wrong? :p In addition, this album did not appear and all the pictures are no longer arranged by date. It's kind of strange.

Based on a post I read online at the Apple Community chat, I tried synching up my iPad through iTunes. And all though the pictures synched up, I don't see how to access them through iTunes and am wondering if there are albums there somewhere (on iTunes). I'll look at that again. Ideas for that?

In addition, after the transfer, (I'm not sure if was the iPhoto transfer or iTunes sync) the tags that I had added to these photos on my iPad are now missing on these photos in the album they were originally located. Fortunately,I still do have individual "tag" albums that exist on my iPad iPhoto for reference. But this is still a big pain for organizing.

So ideally this is what I want: Drag/transfer an album (regular and tag) with their photos and attributes like tags from iphoto on my iPad to iPhoto on my Mac? Is there a way? Thanks! :):)

Hmm, looking at iPhoto on my Mac, it is version '11 (9.2.3) and it says it's up to date, however I'm still using Snow Leopard. On the iPad it is iOS6. I see no tag attributes available on my Mac version of iPhoto. I'm wondering if I need to upgrade it or the MacOS to Lion and wondering if that would help with the migration of albums and attributes. Thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:

bpletcher

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
Michigan
I had a similiar issue like your, although not as indepth. I simply wanted to sync my albums between iOS and OSX. Apparently this is not supported by Apple yet; why? No one knows.

What I was suggested on the Forums, as far as albums go, was to make multiple shared photo streams. This has worked in the way I needed it to. It syncs my photos into my shared streams and I just delete the photo in my camera roll to get rid of duplicates and to make sorting through pictures that have not been assigned an album easier. I then use iPhoto to sync with my photo streams to ensure I have a backup file in case Apple's servers take a crash.

Unfortunatly I havent used any tags with these photos as of yet so I cant say for a fact if this will transfer but I wouldnt see why it shouldnt.

Also in case you choose to try this route you are limited to 100 shared photo streams with 1000 photos per stream. There is no time duration period and does not count toward your iCloud storage limit. I can see the limitations proving to be an issue farther down the line but Im hoping it will be able to tide myself, and perhaps you, over until Apple designs a practical was to sync everything like it should have been in the first place.

-bpletcher

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks, I'll look into that! It is just a little irritating that tags don't transfer over, don't appear to transfer over from iOS iPhoto to Mac iPhoto.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.