Important Rosetta Apps- What can't you give up?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Huntn, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If there is a thread like this all ready a MRs, please point me at it.

Due to my impending upgrade to Lion, the primary application I'm preparing to jettison is AppleWorks. I've hung on to AWs for all these years primarily because besides being more user friendly and more functional (imo), for my work notes, I had a half size 40 page outline document template that allowed me to print 2 pages front to back on standard size pages. Now that Lion has jettisoned Rosetta, I've finally got the motivation to create a similar document within Pages, which I have mostly completed. It has flow through text blocks that allows me to type it out and a custom outline format (style).

Off the top of my head besides older games, I can't think of anything else I need to hang onto and fortunately I still run Leopard on my G5 (at least until it croaks).

Are there any Rosetta apps, do you need to keep for now?

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Nothing I can think of. Office stayed around for a while, but MS finally upgraded that which was good.

Appleworks was never my program of choice, iWork just clicked with me better. Plus iWork.com and being tied into iOS devices make it that much more useful for a college student.

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Intellipoint Software Mac- Rosetta??

I've been using a Microsoft Trackball Explorer which I love, on Snow Leopard. The last time the MS Intellipoint software was updated was in 2007. I think it is currently at V6. Anyone know if this software relies on Rosetta or should it be functional under Lion?

Thanks!

4. Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

I am still using Quicken 2007 on a Snow Leopard partition. When See Finance releases an update with check printing capability, then I can shed my Rosetta apps.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There's just one application I still use occasionally that will never be updated again - PlayerPRO. Fortunately, I need it so infrequently that I can put it on a dedicated second Mac for this very purpose.

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

SpeedSearch X

I rewrite it probably from scratch with the help of more modern APIs (i'm not the developer of this app).

7. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

diablo 2, world of warcraft 3 and any other ppc game i can't think of at the moment

8. Dnix macrumors 6502

Erm...I had a couple command line apps that needed Rosetta. But they've since moved on.

9. sananda macrumors 68020

I don't really fancy upgrading from Photoshop CS2, or buying a new Spyder colorimeter and last time I checked the software for my still current model Epson scanner and old Canon SLR was PPC only. And I still use Office 2004. So, for the time being, I'm sticking to Snow Leopard.

10. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

WoW and WC3 have been universal for quite a while - the only hangup for WC3 is the updater and world editor are still PPC but everything else works happily ... and I don't think they're ever going to update it again anyway :(.

Only a few games for me; I was never a big 3rd party app user anyway - that to me is the whole point of OS X, I don't really need to be.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

Only thing that really bothered me was Quicken 2007. I switched to quicken essentials, but I wasn't too happy about it. I ran both for a while to make sure it worked well enough. Other than that I had no Rosetta apps.

12. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

lol only thing for warcraft 3 is it had to be installed to snow leopard then updated for it to be used in lion if you try to install it in lion its a no go