importing compilation cd into itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rtztgue, Feb 10, 2011.

1. rtztgue macrumors regular

I have a few music compilation cds I want to import into itunes. Itunes recoginizes the cd but cannot get artist or track info since it is a cd I made. Anyway, it starts importing it and sends it to la la land. Is there a way I can force itunes to put the music in a specific directory, or name it something particular so I can find it easy enough and copy it to a playlist? I have imported this a few times and I get a lot of "unknown artists" or "track 001" file names... meanwhile I am manually hunting through all the itunes media trying to find the files itunes just imported with very little luck.

I thought about using another ripping program on the cds and then importing. Anyone try this? is there a better method?

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Go to the "recently imported" playlist as soon as the CD is imported, so all the tracks will be there - obviously with no reasonable information. I'd put something like "Compilation CD 1", "Compilation CD 2" into both artist and album as a quick measure to keep at least the CDs apart (select all the freshly imported titles and "Get Info", then you have to enter this only once); then you can enter artist / album / song later.

3. rtztgue thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but my itunes does not have a recently imported playlist... unless I am seriously missing it somewhere. I created one, and imported a cd but no joy......

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you import from a CD, iTunes will store the files in whatever folder you've selected as the iTunes Media folder in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced
    An easy way to do this is to select all your music, right-click and uncheck the selection, so none of your music is checked. Then, when you import, anything added to the library is automatically checked. You can create a smart playlist like this, which will show any checked items:
    ScreenCap 8.PNG
    Or you can create a Recently Added smart playlist similar to this:
    ScreenCap 7.PNG

5. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

If you go into your music library, you can sort by date added. I usually keep mine sorted so that the newest songs are at the top. If I need to fix anything in any of the recent files, they're very easy to find.

However, I try to edit the CD info before ripping; just makes things cleaner that way.

6. rtztgue thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks this helped. I made a smart playlist and went by date. this will allow me to find the various tracks I imported in the last day and move them to other playlists.

I did know about the directory in the advanced settings and I have that set the way I want... but since Itunes does not work like a directory/file program it was still hard for me to see the file in the music directory structure of my hard drive and then put it in an itunes playlist. I was hoping I could just import right to a playlist. Well the smart playlist will do that for me now and I can arrange it the way I want..

Thanks for the help