Importing Video From HD Camcorder. How to export into Full HD .mp4?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thiagos, Apr 20, 2009.

1. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

Ok so I recently bought a Canon HD Camcorder 1080p with 32GB SD Card. After I am done shooting videos I have two programs to choose from: Final Cut Pro 2 and iMovie '09. It seems that Final Cut Pro does not import from Camcorders, so I have been using iMovie.

Once I start importing, it asks me if I want the movie in full 1920x1080 HD. I selected yes. Once I am done importing into iMovie, I want to export it to .mp4 in High Def but the only options iMovie gives me to export is iDVD, iTunes, YouTube and Mobile Me Gallery and none of those formats are in High Def.

How can I export my videos to .mp4 in full 1920x1080 format?

Thanks in advance.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

FCP can import files from the computer, just drag and drop them in.

3. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

I don't want to sound annoying but how exactly would I do that? I'm kind of clueless when it comes to Final Cut Pro 2.

Thanks

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I haven't taken mine out of the box yet, so I'm curious too (HF10). I have FCE 4, so I'm going to take a leap and assume it imports AVHCD the same [as FCP]?

(sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm guessing I'll hit the "output question" too)

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I haven't tried AVCHD, but I regularly import HD h.264 files captured with iShowU into FCE4, via drag and drop. No problems.

7. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

Yeah that's the same camera I got. I would think it imports the same as the Pro version.

8. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

Ok so I found out how to export in full HD. WHen you import from you HD camera, iMovie will automatically create a .mov file under Movies -> iMovie Events, all you have to do is click on it and watch.
    That was easier than what I thought.

Thanks for all the help though.