Impressed by 3G (I know, I'm surprised too)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Slayerboym88, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Slayerboym88 macrumors regular

This past weekend my family and I took a day trip to Alexandria, VA from MD and I was well impressed that I was able to use the 3G network the entire way down I-95. Even when I may have only had 1 bar, I was still able to get rather snappy load times and this is while I was still moving. Btw, the Google maps+GPS was a God send while trying to find our way to our restaurant! Yeah, since no one ever comes on here to praise our $300+ investments, I thought I would be different!:p

2. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Complaints always are louder than praise, especially on geeky forums like this. I love my 3G Iphone. Upgrading from an Ipod Touch is like having the same device on steroids. I have no complaints other than I need turn by turn GPS because I suck at getting places.

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

I also have really enjoyed it. I don't think that I could ever go back to using just the EDGE network all the time. Also, even though I ahve seen a decrease in battery life over my original iPhone, it still gets me through the day with no problems and I'm a relatively heavy internet user while on the 3G network. Has anyone purchased a cadle mount for your car? If so, which one did you buy and what are your thoughts on it with the iPhone 3G?

4. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

The only people you hear bitching about the 3G service are the ones who seem to think that because Apple named the phone "iPhone 3G", that 3G service should be available everywhere. Not once, in any commerical or print advertisement, did AT&T or Apple claim that 3G service was available everywhere. In fact, AT&T plainly states that 3G is only available in select areas and they are still rolling out more 3G towers as time goes on.

I'm one of the lucky people that happens to live and work in a metro area that is fairly well covered with 3G. I know people complain that NYC still has problems, but that's limited more to cell breathing than actual lack of coverage. 3G service is shared with other 3G devices, and I'm sure there are TONS in use in most major metro areas. It just seems that most of the folks that buy the iPhone 3G are the typical Apple cult members that think that everything is all about them and that they should have the world handed to them because Apple advertises it so.

5. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

I agree as well. 3G works very well in the metro-Philadelphia area. Everyone I know who has the iPhone 3G is impressed by it and its performance.

6. acvball92 macrumors regular

acvball92

3G works great in Stamford CT but that's because we are the baby of NYC.:D

7. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

3g is a bit of a hit and miss for me. In Glasgow I have full bars yet sometimes it will take forever to load pages and send emails. Other times it's very quick. I go back to edge. It may not be the fastest but works.

8. And5555 macrumors member

I'm not an Apple cult member (no Macs or anything- just the iPhone and now iPhone 3G).

I honestly do have some strong dissatisfaction with the 3G coverage in Austin, Texas. Austin is known as the "Silicon Hills" because it is the second largest technology hub next to Silicon Valley; yet the coverage for 3G here (though covered entirely in dark blue on the map) is not very good at all. Occassionally, you can find a great spot with fast 3G, but the majority of the time, I get no bars or slow internet (slow defined as equivalent to Edge). I had the first iPhone and I can honestly tell no difference in speed the vast majority of the time. In fact, I did a few side-by-side races with my friend's iPhone 1st gen, and he either beat me or tied every time.

I understand that you are priveleged to you live in a good 3G coverage area, but do not assume that everyone who complains about the 3G speed is expecting too much (I just expect to get noticeably faster internet speed throughout Austin). Note: different cities may provide entirely different experiences. It's a little bit narrowminded to assume that your experience must be the same as all iPhone 3G users, and everyone who says anything must be a big whiner.

9. dooker777 macrumors member

SoCal

I'm also having a great time with iPhone 3G. I live in an area that gets spotty coverage, so at home I'm on WiFi.

When I'm getting full bars it's nice. I love the GPS maps feature with traffic. My 3G speeds are around 350kps, so I hope AT&T improves their network over time. Faster data would be nice.

10. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I'm having a great time in Toronto Canada.

I love this thing. First iPhone, no Macs, and haven't owned an iPod in like 3 years (black 4gig Nano was all I ever owned before).

Best cell phone hands down, as far as I'm concerned.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I find 3G in the Washington DC area to be fantastic. You can even go out to the civil war battelfiled in Manassas, Virginia and get great signal!

The 2 big exceptions? My house and my office. You know, the 2 places I spend 75% of my time. :(

I don't blame anyone though. I work in a basement and live in a spot where no one gets good service.

So that kind of sucks for me, but overall I'm impressed. I get GREAT coverage everywhere else I go. I usually average around 1100 kbps on 3G every time I test it. If it weren't for my basement-job everything would be great.

12. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

Yeah, what YOU said. I'm in Austin, too, and I live in Killeen. I can definitely say that my 3G gets fewer bars of 3G signal everywhere in this area than my old Razr V3xx, in any side-by-side comparison. Even 2 bars of reliable signal is enough to get improved speeds over EDGE, but as you said, you can't count on it anywhere around here. I'm happy for all the happy folks out there. All 7 or so of them. Compare that number to the number complaining about poor reception seen next to other phone makes/models, and even the most optimistic person has to see there's a problem in the equation somewhere.

13. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

You completely ignored my point about NYC, which can just as easily be applied to Austin. Yes, you are in the "silicon hills"... and there are probably a LOT of 3G devices in your area. What happens when many people share one thing? Each person gets a smaller portion, no? The same thing applies to cell towers, especially with 3G & CDMA-based technologies.

You're also missing the point of my entire post. I'm not calling everyone whiners because I think that 3G everywhere should be the same as my experience, I'm saying exactly the opposite. I'm saying it's narrowminded to assume that 3G SHOULD be the same everywhere, when neither Apple nor AT&T make that claim. In fact, you just made my argument for me. :)

14. And5555 macrumors member

It's not like the iPhone 3G was the first 3G device on AT&T's network. I'm sure that the percentage of 3G devices that are iPhone 3G's (with the still limited availability) is rather small. I don't think this is as much an issue with bandwidth as coverage area. The bandwidth difference since July 11th should not be a dramatically different picture here than before. Lots of people had other 3G devices (like Blackberry's).

If this was in fact your point, I still contend with it. AT&T SHOULD have great 3G coverage throughout the city of Austin. I'm not saying it has to be exactly the same speed from one place to the next, BUT it should be consistently better than Edge. I do not think that it's expecting too much to have "more bars in more places" with 3G as well as Edge (understanding that 3G is not a new technology, at least not to Austin).

The coverage map (while it provides some fine print disclaimer) does indicate that 3G coverage should exist across Austin.

I'm not saying all this to argue or get into nitpicking. I just really want to make a point that, in some areas that AT&T claims should be covered, the 3G service is lacking in speed and availability. The only way improvement will occur is through voicing such concerns and waiting patiently for any (hopeful) expansion/upgrades of towers.

15. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Seems a lot of people in FL, myself included, seem to get very strong 3G performance. I wonder if it's the coverage, or possibly that FL is an extremely flat state, I'd assume that flatter is better, maybe a combination of both. Whatever the reason, I'm loving the 3G speeds Im getting, but I do feel for those who aren't getting it, I know I'd be very disappointed.

16. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Wow, Im moving to Austin in the near future and was excited by the AT&T map of 3G coverage but now am wildly disappointed. I hope you guys lie more than AT&Ts coverage map! :eek:

17. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

My 3G coverage is hit and miss except at my house (5 bars but I use wifi). But when I'm on 3G outside of my house the speeds are excellent. Wifi is slightly faster...there's not a huge gap in speeds.

Just because it shows coverage does not mean you will get excellent coverage. My area shows complete coverage but I typically get 1-3 bars and get kicked to edge often. Don't trust the coverage map. When it says there's coverage chances are it's just basic coverage.

18. md63 macrumors 6502

I've seen this mentioned a number of times on the forums regarding the 3g and it just doesn't make sense to me. No matter how many potential users there are on the network, I don't understand why the RF reception for 3g would go down. Its like saying that you get better AM/FM radio reception at midday when people are at work, rather than in the morning when people are at home and more are listening to their radios. Why would this affect the number of bars you see on your iPhone? I can see how it would impact the throughput due to bandwidth restrictions on the wired network.

19. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

There isn't a single 3G BlackBerry that has been released in the United States. The first will be the BlackBerry Bold, which doesn't even have an announced release date yet.

Why should it be consistently better than EDGE? 3G is an entirely different network technology, and is being rolled out slowly. It doesn't use the same equipment that EDGE uses, and isn't meant to replace EDGE...at least not entirely, and at least not yet. It is a complement to EDGE on AT&T's nationwide network. Just as EDGE was rolled out in phases when it was added to GPRS. You clearly don't understand mobile/cellular technology very well.

Again, AT&T doesn't claim 100% quality in all areas shown on the coverage map. It is simply a map that shows where they offer 3G service, or where 3G equipment is installed. Nowhere do they claim that 3G service will be perfect in the areas that have coverage...it's not a signal quality map, it's a coverage map.

20. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

scaredpoet posted a great explanation in another thread. I think that's the best explanation I've seen yet. :)

21. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

It really shouldn't affect the bars, but it would affect performance. Radio and TV is a broadcast medium - one thing is broadcasted at a time, and thats the only thing people can see or hear. Internet however is on demand, and each cell site has a limited amount of bandwidth that must be shared between all users that are connected to that site. Thus, the most people connected, the slower the possible throughput.
    Its like cable internet. The more people in the neighborhood that share the same line, the slower things get.

22. And5555 macrumors member

I guess that I was simply under the impression that 3G has been around for a while and should be amply fit in Austin to accommodate many users.

As to wireless network technology, 3G is not some brand new fragile technology that should be tolerated until AT&T gets their act together. Other parts of the world have had the technology for a long time and can achieve dramatically faster rates than we can under prime conditions in the US. I can't understand why you're absolving AT&T from any poor performance of their 3G network. It seems like it's about time that we get with the times a bit. While their coverage map is not necessarily indicative of signal quality, they should accommodate at least a signal in those areas. Even outside of my building at work (in the open) in the heart of Austin, I get "No Signal" as in I get cut off on calls. Edge does not kick in right away. To me, this kind of behavior is subpar. Maybe I've just gotten used to having reception everywhere I go.

As a sidenote, I use Edge everywhere I go due to this lack of coverage; that is, I don't even turn on 3G anymore because I can't rely on it for voice calls.

23. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

24. Slayerboym88 thread starter macrumors regular

But on the other side of that coin, I'm going to assume that you also have a real computer at both locations for such you can use all the Internet functions not to mention wifi. Even in places with only one bar I find that the net responds remarkably fast, especially for mobile phone.

Oh and by the way, thanks to all the whiners for hijacking my thread:(.

25. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I live in a suburb east of Dallas. The AT&T goverage map shows my area covered in uniform Blue. however I Do not get great 3g service sitting in my open back yard. I notice the closer I get to Dallas the better the 3g. I figure the tower(s?) are in downtown Dallas so the signal gets sketchy on the outskirts. If I am at work or at the bar down the street I like to flip on 3g to do some extended surfing and still catch my calls and texts right away. This is my first Iphone, I had the 16 touch before. after switching wifi on and off on that thing all the time it's not a big deal for me to have to go into settings and switch on 3g when I need it. plus double the talk time over edge! I get awesome Edge coverage here in my area (everywhere i have been since i got it for that matter) and I have not had a single dropped call. Actually, I think the call quality over edge is super clear. I cant tell the difference between edge and a landline. The sprint phone I had before dropped calls all the time. all the sprint phones we have had in this house get 2-3 bars max. (on a good day) my Iphone has full edge sitting on my bed which was a black hole for sprint. (i would miss calls entirely, no ring no nothing, texts wouldn't come through.)

I could not be happier, I just hope the build qulity holds up, those pics of the cracked white ones are a little unsettling.