Impressions on lion after two months

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by blackomega31, Sep 25, 2011.

?

After using lion what are your feelings

1. I came into lion liking it and now i don't like it

52 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. I used to hate lion and now i like it

24 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Undecided

44 vote(s)
    36.7%
  1. blackomega31, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

blackomega31 macrumors member

blackomega31

I am just trying to get a feel on how are people adjusting to the overall changes of lion. Please no trolling or hard arguments i am just looking for some impressions

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I love it on my MacBook Air, not so much on my 2009 17" MacBook Pro. Thinking of reverting back to SL on that machine.

3. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

I went back to Snow Leopard and won't be going back to Lion until:

1) an option to turn off windows being grouped in mission control
    2) an option to turn off the new save function

4. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

I'm going to keep wishing I could go back to SL, until versioning becomes optional rather than compulsory.

2 months on of using Lion daily thats as much of a disruption as it was on first day I had misfortune to lay eyes on it.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

Why no "I came into Lion liking it and still do" and "I didn't like Lion and still don't" options? Your poll choices assume everyone is either undecided or did a 180 on Lion.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Mostly, I like it.

There are a lot of small refinements that make it seem more polished (yes, in the way iOS does). Off the top of my head, the ones I can think of are: new QuickLook (especially how it integrates with Spotlight); swipe fwd/back in Safari; double-tap and pinch zoom in Safari; restore on restart; getting used to the new document version paradigm - I don't have any negative thoughts - it's something new and seems to work fine; gather files to new folder; dictionary guesture; I'm sure there are more I've used, but can't think of them.

I don't have a need for LaunchPad, but I think it could be useful to new users. Full-screen isn't necessary for most apps. Those that benefit, I've already been using that way (PS, FCE, Aperature). Mission Control works fairly well. There was a need to integrate Exposé and Spaces, but does need more work.

No problem switching scrolling directions. After a couple of months, I rarely go the "wrong" direction. I like the clean look of the borderless windows.

I have no speed, battery, or instability issues. I've seen a few minor hiccups, but nothing that substantially affected usability. I do have the slow wifi connect on wake issue sometimes, but my wife's MBA seems fine. I really haven't done any troubleshooting on it, and it saw some improvement on 10.7.1. I'll add that the MBA is a Rev. A, with 2GB RAM, and Lion's running smoothly on it.

It's been a much better .0 release than Leopard. I did do a lot of prep work before upgrading from 10.6.8, making sure all my kexts were updated to 64-bit, and made sure to upgrade as many apps as I could. Perhaps that's helped make the upgrade go smoothly for me.

Early 2009 UB 17" MBP 2.66GHz, 500GB XT hybrid, 8GB RAM

7. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Mission Control still sucks, Launch Pad is missing a ton and is really just a waste of time. The gestures blow(Yes I know about BTT, damn...). And I am a little pissed off that games like Diablo 2 or Starcraft wont work on it. Yes, I know about Parallels, VMware, Virtual Box, Wine, and Bootcamp. Lion sucks, glad I got a refund for it.

8. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

I agree, more options needed. =)

After seeing the preview I was skeptical, and then actually using it I was still disappointed.

9. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

How exactly does it disrupt you?

10. turbotoes macrumors regular

How about adding the option "came to Lion optimistic and am still happy with it"

That's me.

Yes, there are things that need polish, but what new OS doesn't?

11. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Overall I am liking Lion more than when I first installed it

The only thing I still don't like is Auto Save and Versions, If I could disable these I would have no issues with Lion

12. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I love Lion :) I always do ;)
    You didn't give me the option so I didn't vote.

13. Jenni8 macrumors member

After goofing with it and learning how to use the new features properly, I love it. I've personalized it and made it mine. My OS doesn't work like anyone else's, because I've set it up to work for me. I've learned to love launchpad as I don't have my dock cluttered anymore. I use Mission Control mainly for the many desktops. I've adopted the natural scrolling easily. I'm very satisfied.

14. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

The results in the poll are very telling of how Lion performs as well as how its been accepted by the public.

15. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

you need more choices on your poll:

"I liked Lion from day 1 and love Lion even more today"

16. ryanrich macrumors regular

Hmmm, don't really care. There's nothing in Lion that I particularly love, and if anything I had to turn off some new "features" to make it more like SL.

17. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

No, the result are not telling. The poll was setup improperly so it results are completely irrelevant in regards to how Lion has been accepted by the public.

You would have to be daft to think otherwise....

S-

18. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I upgraded both my Macs to Lion and haven't had any problems at all. Your poll could use more choices.

19. cal6n, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Likewise.

...but let me add:

3) an option to turn off resume on a per application basis
    4) an option to disable restore on restart

That said, I really like versioning.

And you really need to add 2 more options to the poll:

4) I've been loving it since day one!

and

5) No, sir! I don't like it one bit!

If you're going to write a poll, you must cover all the reasonable options and you mustn't word those options in a biassed manner.

20. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

I get the impression that was intentional...

21. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

While that may be true, I think a lot of us are disappointed with Lion. I was expecting to love Lion, or at least to like it, but honestly after using it since day one, I think it is Apple's biggest miss in a long time.

I miss my Snow Leopard and will probably go back to it.

22. coteyr macrumors newbie

The poll is not setup well.

The poll is not set up well. I came into lion as my first major upgrade. I was a little disappointed to see that I really didn't "get" anything. It's basically just the same thing from my perspective. That being said, it was free for me (developer), so guess I can't complain.

23. Mork macrumors 6502

Why I don't like Lion

1. Internal Mac VPN has stopped connecting. In SL, the VPN connection happens in 0.5 seconds. In Lion, it just times out.

2. Intermittent connection issues. Hooking up a laptop and doing file transfer after sharing a drive. After about three connections in a few days, the connection hangs. Trying to restart Finder just hoses the machine further. I have to power off and power back on like with Windows.

3. Problems with other connectivity software.

4. As others have said, not enough control over what gets saved and other new features.

5. No help from Apple. Been to the "Genius Bar", sent feedback, called Apple, but nobody seems to know what is happening.

Snow Leopard was perfect.

Lion, at least at 10.7.1 for me, not so much.

I'd go back to SL in a second except that it would take days to rebuild the machines and, like with Windows, sometimes it's just easier to reboot and hope that Redmond (sorry, Apple) will fix things soon...

:(

-- M

24. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It's a buggy mess, but it's an early release.

No poll option that reflects my position however, which is that Versioning renders the OS unusable, and every single UI change was for the worse except for any edge resizing.

That was the case on day 1, and it's the case today.

Phazer

25. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

I love most aspects of Lion. I feel like it's a substantial upgrade from Snow Leopard. There are more tools to get things done faster, in my opinion. What I can't stand is Launchpad. It sucks. The only customization you can accomplish is moving the icons and creating folders. Removing icons is a pain. Resizing icons is impossible (I think). Overall, it feels cheap (as if ported directly from iOS). Apple could have done better.