Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Per Matthew Panzarino:
Oh, about that improved Face ID angle — I saw, maybe, a sliiiiiiight improvement, if any. But not that much. A few degrees? Sometimes? Hard to say. I will be interested to see what other reviewers found. Maybe my face sucks.

Per John Gruber...
I tried testing this too, and couldn’t see how the Face ID angle or distance is any more generous on the iPhones 11. It might be faster, but in terms of angles I could see no difference.

:(

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2019/09/17/panzarino-iphones-11

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
I wasn’t exactly expecting much. FaceID works extremely well now, and even if it is just a slightest bit faster it is a welcome addition.

First Post G

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2011
NYC
Agreed. Big fan of FaceID versus TouchID. Many people complain about the process of getting to the home screen - which I find seamless - and ignore how much easier opening password protected apps are. I don’t understand why they would bother to bring TouchID back, even under screen.

Reactions: yaboid01

JustBloch

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2017
My IPad Pro’s Face ID is wayyy better as far as angle and speed. I’m hoping this is the case for the iPhone 11 pro.

Reactions: yaboid01

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
95% of the time, FaceID works for me. However, those times when my phone is on my desk, or in my car holder...I really miss using my fingerprint.

I’m really hoping the new FaceID address those issue, or at least makes it better than now.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Don't they have limited time with the phones to review. I doubt they spent a long time checking this.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Don't they have limited time with the phones to review. I doubt they spent a long time checking this.

Sure but they Nilay specifically tested it against xs , doesn’t take long to try off angle and said it wasn’t better that he could
Tell

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
Sure but they Nilay specifically tested it against xs , doesn’t take long to try off angle and said it wasn’t better that he could
Tell
I don’t have a dog in this fight (6s here), but I would assume that the FaceID algorithm in the new ones continue to build out a face model over time like the rest of the FaceID phone’s do. Perhaps it takes a bit of time to get a noticeable difference in this regard? I have no idea how long reviewers get units for...

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I don’t have a dog in this fight (6s here), but I would assume that the FaceID algorithm in the new ones continue to build out a face model over time like the rest of the FaceID phone’s do. Perhaps it takes a bit of time to get a noticeable difference in this regard? I have no idea how long reviewers get units for...

that aspect is a good point , it improving with time

kognos

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2013
Oregon
Bear in mind that FaceID improvements for speed are based entirely and solely on IOS 13 and have nothing to do with the hardware. (reference) I can pretty much take that at face value that this'll work, and probably even faster depending on CPU on the phone.

The FaceID improvements for angle are based upon the front-facing camera which remains to be tested. This is not touted as a feature of the phone itself and wasn't even mentioned directly that I could find - just that it's now a 12 megapixel camera and has a wider field of view, but that still has no direct bearing on the infared sensor and dot map projection elements, so the entire notch hardware would have to be upgraded for this to really have a better field of view.

Not knocking anyone's data in this thread, but lets be clear that the speed aspect of FaceID is about 80% built into iOS and about 20% related to the speed of your SoC. (those numbers are entirely my speculation). But the angle of recognition is definitely something that hasn't been tested by anyone yet that I'm aware of in a final iPhone 11 model extensively.

pshady

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2005
los angeles
the one thing i miss about Touch ID is being able to unlock my phone with it laying flat on the table. hoping it comes back in addition to Face ID in the next iPhone. a girl can dream...

Reactions: MacNut

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
hoping it comes back in addition to Face ID in the next iPhone. a girl can dream...
Dream up some extra $$$, as having both Face ID & in-display FPS should cost more. ;)
[doublepost=1568790607][/doublepost]
My IPad Pro’s Face ID is wayyy better as far as angle and speed. I’m hoping this is the case for the iPhone 11 pro.
You’d think they were at a point in time where the iPad Pro Face ID unit could be placed in the iPhone, but seeing as there was no promoting of Landscape Face ID unlock, they’ve disappointingly delayed it for yet another year...

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City

You’re likely holding the iPad further from your face than the phone - that could make a difference. Try holding the phone st the same distance - just a suggestion, it might be fun to see.

I can’t see adding a second, less secure authentication method at additional cost. That would very un-Apple like, and no one would want to pay extra for it as @Ralfi implies.

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
Apples labelling means nothing, faceID will be the same iOS 13 made it faster. Just like the screen is all high and mighty on paper but it will still have yellow tint issues everything is over the top on apples keynotes I’m not excited for the new phones even tho I’m on the upgrade plan, the new batt is good but another year of bad signal from intel
[doublepost=1568792788][/doublepost]The review models they are testing it against iOS 12 not 13 so yes it would be faster

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Problem I see is it will detect something at a larger angle but will fail at the fringes. It only gives a positive match if I'm at the same angle as before.

Reactions: 44267547

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
The Face ID distance on the new iPhone 11 Pro is pretty phenomenal compared to my XS. I can now hold the phone quite a distance away from my face and get it to unlock whereas with the XS I had to hold the phone fairly close.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
the one thing i miss about Touch ID is being able to unlock my phone with it laying flat on the table. hoping it comes back in addition to Face ID in the next iPhone. a girl can dream...
This is my gripe with Face ID coming from Touch ID.

Brentyy

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2019
I'm disabled and in a wheelchair and I cant lift up my phone, I am still using an iPhone 8 because of TouchID but I am very eager to upgrade but I'm not sure if the 11 Pro would work for me laying flat on my wheelchair tray. I've tried with an Xs Max but it hardly worked for me...

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
My iPhone 11 Pro Max unlocks at more extreme angles than my X did, hands-down. Pun intended. :p

I used to have to bring my iPhone X up more in front of me when unlocking while using an escalator, for example, whereas the 11 Pro Max unlocks from basically waist level, just an inch or two in front of my body. Hard to explain, but yeah - the difference is noticeable.

• Haha
Reactions: Brentyy

Brentyy

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2019
My iPhone 11 Pro Max unlocks at more extreme angles than my X did, hands-down. Pun intended. :p

I used to have to bring my iPhone X up more in front of me when unlocking while using an escalator, for example, whereas the 11 Pro Max unlocks from basically waist level, just an inch or two in front of my body. Hard to explain, but yeah - the difference is noticeable.
I wish I could try it in the shop that they only have dummy phones ughh

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I just unlocked my phone and immediately took a selfie, to show the angle. But I'm not going to post it, as it's basically a shot straight up my nose. Lol

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Anecdotally, I think the 11 pro unlocks when I am sideways better. In past I remember having to get up or reposition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.