improved iPhone 5 batches?

kofman13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2009
how long do y'all think it might take for newer batches of iphone 5s to start shipping without all these problems with light leak, purple camera, scratches, loose lock key, loose glass, home button issues?

When i get one i will be buying it off contract and i dont want to pay $650 for a game of russian roulette with what im getting in the box.

just curious how long has it taken with previous iphone generations?

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
never. Apple never fixed the buzzing issue in the iphone 4S. This is just how it works, just keep trying to get a perfect phone.

kofman13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2009
never. Apple never fixed the buzzing issue in the iphone 4S. This is just how it works, just keep trying to get a perfect phone.
damn...... maybe ill upgrade from 3GS to 4S instead... seems like 4S had less problems

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
damn...... maybe ill upgrade from 3GS to 4S instead... seems like 4S had less problems
dont be swayed by people on this forum. Just get a 5 if you want one. If you dont like it apple will let you return it in 30 days.. and get a 4s

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Also it's never NOT going to have an aluminum back and sides. Aluminum scratches more easily than glass-deal with it.

Also keep in mind that if you read any forum about any products you probably never want to buy it because most of the people posting are usually complaining about a problem.

Last edited:

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
I disagree, they all have problems, the iphone 5 is nicer even with the scratching issues. I have had all iphone except 3g. If you buy it and have an issue just swap it, apple is good like that when people complain.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
how long do y'all think it might take for newer batches of iphone 5s to start shipping without all these problems with light leak, purple camera, scratches, loose lock key, loose glass, home button issues?

When i get one i will be buying it off contract and i dont want to pay $650 for a game of russian roulette with what im getting in the box.

just curious how long has it taken with previous iphone generations?
My phone has none of these issues.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Out of the Box Scuffs are very likely to be fixed because, to me, it seems it is an issue with how devices are being handled in the assembly line. So I think the iPhone that will be built in the next months won't have scuffs. The scuffing issue is very very real though. I got 3 replacements and all of them had it. Different places but all looked like they suffered the same problem. Demo units also had them.

However, the device being more scratch-resistant is very unlikely. So if you got a phone now that is easily scratched, this most definitely won't be fixed.

Brettka7

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
The scuffing issue is a big problem with the early adopters (luckily my first replacement is perfect), but it's going to go away in a month, two months max. All the past issues have been issues in design. Even the 3G/3GS build quality issues were because cheap materials were used. With this phone, the materials are great, it's just careless assembly that I'm sure is already being worked on, if not already fixed, but the phones being made now won't get to the customers for at least a couple weeks.

My week 37 had scuffs while my week 36 is perfect. It will be Russian roulette for several more weeks. If you're not willing to deal with possibly sending it back, wait it out.

kofman13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2009
yeah. im on straight talk so i have only 3G/3.5G
i would be upgrading to 5 for the speed, graphics, screen, overall sexiness only, no LTE

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Dont let the forum put you off.

People come here to vent and seek help. How many people start a topic to say "All is well, nothing to see here"? It's rare. For every 1 person starting a thread about problems there are tens of thousands who have no issue.

If you go back in time you will see the forum is just as busy with people complaning about the ip4 and then the 4S. It's always worst after launch because there is such a huge influx of people getting their phone on the same day. Normally its just a trickle.

Purple haze, not an issue. Its lens flare, my £10k of camera gear does the same thing. Dont point it into the light.

The phone is alluminium, It will scratch. Granted it wont break when you drop it like glass but it is a soft metal. You plastic Samsung phones will crack, glass will shatter. There is no perfect material.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN

People come here to vent and seek help. How many people start a topic to say "All is well, nothing to see here"? It's rare. For every 1 person starting a thread about problems there are tens of thousands who have no issue.

If you go back in time you will see the forum is just as busy with people complaning about the ip4 and then the 4S. It's always worst after launch because there is such a huge influx of people getting their phone on the same day. Normally its just a trickle.

Purple haze, not an issue. Its lens flare, my £10k of camera gear does the same thing. Dont point it into the light.

The phone is alluminium, It will scratch. Granted it wont break when you drop it like glass but it is a soft metal. You plastic Samsung phones will crack, glass will shatter. There is no perfect material.
Nice post. I regret putting off my iPhone 4 purchase due to antennagate. When I did buy one it was no big deal at all. Purchased my iPad 3 in spite of "yellow gate" and ended up with a perfect screen. My black iPhone (week 39) arrived pristine. A HUGE upgrade from my iPhone 4.

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007

"All is well, nothing to see here"?

They just wait to jump into threads to berate those who have encountered problems. :D

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California

This is a very well thought out post and probably should be required reading for anyone new to MR.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Wow, you must be pretty naive to base your action only on one member.

Apple will eventually fix the quality control issues that involve iPhones arriving nicked and scuffed out of the box as well as defective anodizing coating, but nobody here knows when that'll happen.

richmds

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
Dont know if Apple will change their manufacturing process to accomodate some of these issues, but they definitely should change their policy of opening up 3-4 new iPhones to satisfy one customer regarding a scuff.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I understand you are cautious (who wouldn't be if you are going to be a $600+ dollar product and you read about all sorts of problems), but let's not forget that you'll never find threads like "OMG!! Apple delivered a perfectly fine iPhone 5!" or "HELP! My iPhone 5 doesn't have scratches at all :S".

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.