Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Hey y’all, I wrote this AppleScript to swap alias files with their original (I have a huge sample library for Logic Pro X, and I’m often relocating individual files; LPX doesn’t do well with aliased samples, but I like keeping them organized!).

Code:
on run {input, parameters}

tell application "Finder"
        set theSelection to selection
        repeat with theAlias in theSelection
            if class of theAlias is alias file then
                try
                    set originalFile to original item of theAlias
                    set originalName to name of originalFile
                    set originalFolder to container of originalFile
                    set aliasName to name of theAlias
                    set aliasFolder to container of theAlias
                    set newName to aliasName & " _"
                    set newName2 to originalName & " _1"
                    set name of theAlias to newName
                    set name of originalFile to newName2
                    move item newName of aliasFolder to originalFolder
                    move item newName2 of originalFolder to aliasFolder
                    set name of item newName of originalFolder to originalName
                    set name of item newName2 of aliasFolder to aliasName
                end try
            end if
        end repeat
    end tell
return input
end run

The script works well, however, there are several things I would like to do that I have zero idea how to even begin implementing.
  1. Multithreading. As it is, each file is renamed and moved one after the other, and the “dropped file” sound is spammed for ages. I’ve found that running multiple instances of the script on small groups of files is faster than one instance on a single group. How can I have the script build a list of all the files selected, then swap them all at once or split the selection into smaller selections and have the script run multiple instances of itself?
  2. The AppleScript monitor reads 0% when running, then jumps to 100% once finished. Is there a way see an accurate %?
  3. Is there a way to have each “alias swap” be recorded into a log file?

The biggest, fattest, juiciest question of them all: Is there a more efficient way to accomplish batch swapping aliases with the originals?

Thanks a ton guys :)

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
I think the answer would be in the writing of a log. So to write to log, modify this information to become part of your routine.

https://www.macosxautomation.com/applescript/sbrt/sbrt-09.html

I'm not even sure what you are really doing, but you do so that doesn't matter, but what if you went and got all alias names, wrote those to a file, then as part of the routine, read the file list and made the change en mass from what was read from the file, then write back that those items were found and changed when done.

There may be a script way to suppress the sound as well, and that may be an easier work around. I really need to dive back into AppleScripting, I've created a few over the years but I forgot how powerful they can be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.