in 50 years, which will be seen as more influential?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by brendu, Jan 21, 2012.

1. brendu macrumors 68020

The original Macintosh or the original iPhone? Why?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

3. sigamy macrumors 65816

While the iPhone has revolutionized areas of mobile computing and ubiquitous access to the internet, I think the original Mac will be held with more regard in 50 years.

The Mac was built by a small team of extremely talented folks. It really is amazing when you think about what they accomplished. Similar to the Apple II which was basically built by one person, Woz.

The Mac set the standard for everything else that came after including the iPhone and iPad.

That being said, I tend to think that the iPad is really the computer that Steve Jobs (and maybe Jef Raskin) intended to build, even if they didn't know it at the time. The iPad's key concepts of no file system, instant on and extreme intuitiveness may make it the device that is most remembered as a true tipping point. It is the first computing device that anyone (uneducated, people with special needs, toddlers, elderly) could simply pick up and be productive.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd like it to be the Mac, but I reckon it will be the iPhone.

There were other machines similar to the Mac, on a similar spec level, price point with a more advanced OS. Even to this day it doesn't command as much as the iPhone does in the phone market. Did the old macs revolutionise much? We had the Spectrum, Amiga, Commodore, BBC Micro and ancient PC.
    Whereas the iPhone really shook everything up. Like the Wii for console gaming, Kodak for cheap home photography, etc.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

6. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

Mac. No question. Without the original Mac, we might still be using DOS, who knows.

7. James L macrumors 6502a

Nope.

8. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I'm going to say the Mac also. The iPhone wasn't the first smartphone created.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

And the Mac wasn't the first home computer either.

10. ender land macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure how any of you think it'd be the mac over the iPhone.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

iPhone because I'm guessing in the future a lot of things will be based off touchscreen and stuff like that. OS X 10.7 is already taking a bunch from that already.

But lets be honest, we don't know. It could very well be none of them.

12. Fazzy macrumors 6502

The mac definitely. Not only was it more innovative compared to the iPhone, it was also only designed by a small group in a short space of time.
    The iPhone took pretty big cues from things like iPod and the smartphones before it.

13. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Oh god...

The Wii: Declining sales. The next generation Wii is garbage. Most people bought this console because it was new technology, but all they did was play Wii Sports for a week and then the console collected dust.

Kodak: One word... Bankruptcy.

Can apple keep their grip?

Even if Apple can't hold on for the long term, the iPhone will still be seen as the most influential. While the Mac was a great product, the iPhone is really where things blow up. The iPhone completely turned the cellphone industry around. On top of that, it branched off into tablets. Now, the iPhone is influencing the way we look at notebooks and desktops. App stores, multi-touch, etc.

14. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

The way things are going, there won't be a Planet called Earth. So who cares?

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Although the Mac was essential to provide a base/nest for the iPhone to be created and launched from ;)

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Sales of the Wii only dropped since the successor was announced, I don't know your experience with the gaming market but that's the norm.
    The Wii also had an average attach rate which means that people were buying games for it (global figures);

PS3 attach rate: 8.2 games per system
    Wii attach rate: 8.6 games per system
    Xbox 360 attach rate: 8.9 games per system

And the Wii became the best selling console of all time, even when the Xbox was cheaper and the PS3 was doing everything a console should do and more. Regardless of your opinions of it.

No FUD please!

It also caused all its competitors to move into motion gaming, just as Apple caused a huge shift in the smartphone market. Sony and Microsoft followed Nintendo, who also brought touchscreen gaming to the masses in the form of the DS.