In-App SMS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eso, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

2. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Wrong!

3. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

So about this In-App SMS, can anybody clarify exactly what that means? Is that similar to QuickReply that is available on Cydia? This is one of the main things (besides backgrounder) that I miss from jailbreaking.

4. trajen macrumors 6502a

Ditto

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I can't say for sure but I don't think it is like quick reply. I think it just means you will be able to send an SMS from app, like you can now with email, if the dev adds that functionality to their app.

6. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Without digging through the API's just yet, I believe it will be two way communication with people in the app itself. i.e. like facebook could build the IM service into the in-app SMS. If you were playing a game with someone else, you could build-in SMS type multiplayer communication.

Granted I can be wrong, I won't know until I play around with the APIs over the next couple of days.

7. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

That's kind of what I figured as well since they said it was a new developer API. If it were like QuickReply it wouldn't really be for developers to access. Oh well, maybe next time. :D

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This.

Plus, I suspect it means that apps can read SMS messages if you let them. Meaning, you could buy an app that backs up all your SMS messages for you or something like that.

Or a photo app could e-mail a photo to 5 people and SMS it to 5 others all at the same time.

I mean, these are guesses, but I think it basically means "apps have access to the SMS data."

9. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

lets hope its something cool. I would love to be able to reply to sms without leaving an app.

is there anywhere that has a good running list of the "Non-Tentpole" features? I love the big news, but I also love the small little touches.

10. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

It still could be, maybe away to send an sms without existing the current program. On the 3G that would be a nice feature, the 3GS not really needed.

11. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

maybe we can get some sweet speech-to-text apps that can send SMS now. like Dragon Dictation.

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I think it's very likely.

13. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I think that very well could be the main point of creating this API

14. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Thats one of those little things that could really change the way you use the phone. Big updates like this are going to let devs get a little more creative and hopefully come up with some cool apps we didn't know we needed.

I was a little disappointed there was no talk of beefing up voice control. I am hoping there is and it was just too small to be a "tent-pole" I really hope this is not going to be some BS where the 4th Gen iPhone gets new voice control commands and the 3GS is stuck with what it has.

15. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Actually I see the 4th gen getting a new lockscreen, then Apple claiming that you need the increased memory capacity of the 4th gen to utilize the new lockscreen.
    - just saying, wouldn't be the first time...

16. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Another big positive I could see from this is maybe Beejive including this into their already integrated chat feature. Just as you may have one contact that has multiple screen names through AIM/Gchat/Yahoo and integrates that into one ongoing chat screen. They may be able to integrate SMS into that same chat. I think this would be very nice.

17. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I could also see Skype building a dedicated Skype messaging app that works accross all carriers such as their VOIP phone service...

18. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Yeah, it seems like my friends with Palm Pres and androids have similar systems where it funnels all communication with an single person over multiple services and protocols.

of course i would love it if everyone just picked one and we all used that.

It's kind of like all the location aware "Where you at dawg?" check-in apps like Loopt and Brightkite. There a dozen of these kinds of apps. I hate having to have 12 of them just to make sure im connected with everyone I know. If they would all die out and everyone just used Loopt there would not be a problem. I love that app.

19. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

The problem with Loopt is that it's U.S. only so there will always be a market for other apps that are international.

20. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I had no idea that it was US only. Bummer

I really like it cause it plays nice across so many phones, iPhone, blackberry, android, and few dozen other phones (not palm pre however)

21. jfarell macrumors newbie

22. omegaphil6 macrumors 6502

23. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I was hoping it was like that also.
    I love my quickreply SMS app.
    How hard would it be for Apple to implement something like that in the OS?