In iPhone battle, AT&T still outsells Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VenusianSky, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

I didn't read the article, but AT&T activations include re activations, and 3GS, so unless this provides proof that AT&T has sold more ip4 than vzw. I'm not a fanboy of either, between the wife and I, we have both services, although I am a little more partial to vzw due to the service that is provided in our area. Sorry of the article states the opposite of what I said lol

2. flipster macrumors 6502a

In the iPhone battle, AT&T has been selling iPhones three years prior to Verizon. That's to be expected

3. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

sim card. and surfing internet and calling did i for me....would rather have these then verizon's signal

4. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Att sells more iPhone than any other carrier in the world, what's new?

5. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

Have not had signal or other issues with AT&T so am happy with it. Also like that I can call and use the internet at the same time.

6. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

This.

I wouldn't have expected otherwise. The iPhone is ATT's main cash cow.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    +1

On ATT, we don't know how the activations were split between:

• $00.01 to $9.00 3GS refurbs
    • $49 - new 3GS
    • $199 - new iP4
    • Hand-me-down phones reactivated
    • Phones sold and reactivated

In the past, ATT has said that up to half of new phone sales are to previous owners. So what do those owners do with their old phones? Sell? Give to another family member? Put in a drawer?

8. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Although I really do love AT&T, I love Verizon too.

I'm sure there are at least a few others like me who have the iPhone 4 on AT&T and are waiting for the new iPhone to switch to Verizon.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I wish Verizon didn't nickel and dime everyone for service. That being said, AT&T is only slightly cheaper - but it still makes a difference, especially considering the advantages that GSM has.

I thought Verizon iPhones were outselling AT&T though

10. SYCAMOREGRAD macrumors member

SYCAMOREGRAD

Why in hell would someone comment on an article they didn't even read??

11. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

It should make sense that AT&T sells more. After all AT&T is GSM and the phones probably resell at a better value due to GSM technology being more versatile (as with the AT&T iPads)

Considering all other benefits internet and talk at the same time can come in handy at the most unexpected situations for some people that might think they'll never need it. Verizon just shot themselves in the foot now that their data plan is $5 more than AT&T's. As well as removing the unlimited data grandfathering they offered to lure in new customers they will probably see lower activation rates next quarter without factoring in iPhone 5 release and even then they still won't be beating AT&T. So unless its an area with terrible AT&T coverage, AT&T is the clear winner.

If AT&T and T-mobile deal goes through though..... oh boy..... Verizon is going to get screwed with AT&T getting access to T-Mobile Towers. I have gone to a couple places where AT&T coverage was terrible and my T-mobile phones work great. :eek:

EDIT: and no I'm not an AT&T fanboy, I'm more of a T-Mobile fanboy who got sick of jailbreaking and unlocking. If T-Mobile can charge their prices I'm sure AT&T and Verizon can lower theirs as well instead of price gauging their customers and providing terrible customer service.

12. maconservative macrumors regular

maconservative

Just wait...

I believe we will get a more accurate representation of the ATT vs. Verizon issue once the next version of the iPhone is released to both carriers at the same time. I find it pointless to analyze the ATT vs. Verizon numbers for the iPhone until then.

13. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

AT&T has exclusive 3GS rights also, and that's why they promote it heavily. Most likely the 3GS will be free or $20 for a new one very shortly.

Maybe not for us, but it's a huge market that can't afford the $199 standard foe the latest and greatest:

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    That poster didn't comment on the article.

They commented on how ATT counts activations.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

AT&T is basically doing a lot of double counting. Phone should only be counted once. A lot of people do get hand me downs nothing wrong with that. That or they count people who bought lets say an Android phone and switch back or people who jump between phones all the time. I would not be surpised in least that some of those iPhone were counted 10+ times.

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Agreed.

Commenting without knowing the topic of the thread. It seems like an odd thing to do. And while I'm whining :) personally I don't like posts that are only a link. I can find my own links, I'm looking for someone to start a discussion.