In light of another delay, need SSD recommendations for current gen MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lifeguard90, Feb 1, 2011.

1. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, new mbp will be out by summer, sooner the better. but with this intel goof, it could be late march- early may ( pending inclusion of SB) some mba features would be great, but some I would not want, so second thinking to just upgrade up on a current 15" mbp 2.8ghz, max ram, high res etc.. Where I need some advice or usage info is for ssd. we all know apple stock ssd is usually not as good as 3rd party. Comparing the following brands help me out please.

1. Crucial
    2. Intel ( why i'm listing this due to their mess ups i dont know)
    3. OWC mercury
    4. OCZ Vertex

250GB give or take is what is needed, price point lower than apples ssd for $579 or whatever.

Thanks

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I asked similar questions not too long ago, and got a couple of responses raving about the OCZ Vertex.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you don't need it right now, wait. 25nm SSDs should be out soon with decent price cuts, especially for bigger SSDs such as 240GB.

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

OWC and OCZ are about the same...OWC is making a mac updater this quarter supposedly so that might apply only to there drives but I dont know.

I have a 120gb OWC Mercury running 310 and it works great, first one was 343 and had a lot of issues with it so they sent me a new drive flashed to 310 in a week. They have great customer service there as they also threw in new feet for OWC On-The-Go Pro enclosure for free in the box my SSD came in.

5. lifeguard90 thread starter macrumors 6502a