In regards to the Login Items in System Preferences

Discussion in 'macOS' started by helix123, Aug 21, 2012.

1. helix123 macrumors newbie

Hello gents and ladies,

I'm only new here and I'm not really sure if this is the right place to post...

As my title says, I am wondering about how can you lock out or grey out the Login Items in System preferences? As on the second account that belongs to my sister, I don't want her to access the Login Items in Users & Groups. I cannot do it from my admin account, but can do it through HER account, as it seems the login items are not controlled by admin but rather, by individual accounts. I also need to lock up the login items as well on the third account which I call Guest for anyone that wants to use my Mac.

I've spent time browsing through websites. I can't find a solution that works. Is it really possible to lock out or grey out the login items in Users & Groups in System Preferences? If so, how do you do it?

Kind regards,
    Helix123

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not really, but you can control what she can access with Parental Controls. I believe you can disable certain options this way.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The login items are, indeed, for each user, not system-wide. That way each user can decide what they want to launch when they log in. It shouldn't matter what they choose as startup items for their own login. If you want more control over users, use Parental Controls.

4. helix123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was wondering about that, thank you guys for your quick and helpful responses. I suppose I'll look and see what I can restrict on my sister's account as well as the guests' account.

Kind regards,
    Helix123

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Don't worry about the Guests account. That account is very limited in terms of settings and doesn't have much options (if any). Furthermore, anything saved in there is deleted after log out.

6. helix123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see, so that makes things easier and I don't have to worry about guests' account, is it? In that case, I'll just worry about the parental controls. Thanks jab6464.