In store 256/8 gb of RAM chances?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lls4f, Jun 11, 2012.

1. lls4f macrumors regular

What are the odds of this being in stores? I tried calling my store but they said they won't know what they have until tomorrow. This is my first mac so I don't know what stores normally keep in stock as far as add on options go.

2. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Depends on size of your apple store.. if it's one of those flagship.. def.. if it's decent size.. most likely. .if it's tiny.. then.. oh well

3. GGJstudios, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. jameswdmb macrumors member

I did the same thing....called two stores with no info. I ordered online just so I could still get it delivered this week. I thought I would be too mad if i waited and found out they didnt have it. I went ahead and ordered, but I will call in the morning if my product hasnt shipped and check to be sure....this way I get it this week either way.

I ordered a 8GB RAM, i7, 256 GB SSD 13" Air

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

My local store in WA had the top of the line MBA 13 in stock. It is likely then that they also have the model just below that.

6. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

FYI the store locator seems to be working now. Add an item to cart and select store pickup and itll tell you store stock availability. Seems only the base defaults are available now. I tried my combo of 13"/i7/8/256 and it said June 21. All BTOs seem to say June 21, non BTOs seem in stock now.

7. lls4f thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm seeing this too. I really don't want to have to wait anymore, but 8gbs of RAM is non-negotiable. I could go for 128 or 256 on the SSD, but 4gbs just doesn't seem like a smart move since I want this computer to last me through grad school

8. DribbleCastle macrumors regular

DribbleCastle

Top of the line 4GB with an i5 @ $1499

or

Top of the line (online) 8GB with a i7 @1699?

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

The latter. :)

10. DribbleCastle macrumors regular

DribbleCastle

Ohh, interesting. Thanks for the info. I figured they would have a high end SKU in store.

11. lls4f thread starter macrumors regular

I bit the bullet and ordered online with expedited shipping. 13" MBA with 256gb SSD and 8gb of RAM on the way! What's a few more days when I've been stuck with a dying Dell for this long...

12. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Well, your new MBA will be like night and day compared to the old Dell.

13. jgc macrumors regular

Where's the store locator that shows if product is there? I'm having trouble finding it. Maybe it's because I'm on the Canadian site/store.

14. 31rhcp macrumors member

I'm not sure, but I just downloaded the Apple Store app. It is currently updating. You might want to check it out. I am also Canadian.

15. lls4f thread starter macrumors regular

Definitely. The dell is a 2008 Core 2 Duo with 2gb of RAM and a nearly full hard drive. I'm anticipating some serious wow factor compared to what I'm used to and I know Apple will deliver

16. jgc macrumors regular

I was trying to mess around with it but I couldn't find a in-store pick-up option anywhere. Let me know if you find something.

EDIT: Added the closest store to me and tried to reserve a product. It won't let me reserve any of the new products (MBP, MBA, or Mac Pro). Probably wouldn't have it either way but I guess I'll have to give them an old-fashioned telephone call tomorrow.

17. DribbleCastle macrumors regular

DribbleCastle

FYI. Called my local Apple store yesterday. They had an 13" 8GB model but with the 512 SSD. So the completly tricked out model. I'm surprised as that machine costs $2199 according to the store. Minus well get the retina pro at that price.

So no magic 256 with 8GB models in the retail channel that I can find. Anyone fine anything different?

18. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Apple store Westfarms had 11" 8GB/i7 2.0GHz/256GB SSD for $1,649 last night. It had just arrived around 8:30PM while I was there.

19. DribbleCastle macrumors regular

DribbleCastle

Hmm, thanks for the update. Might have to call back today.

20. juuuice macrumors newbie

which store had the 13" w/ 8gb @ 1699? the uvillage store only had maxed out @ 2k+ and entry skus.

21. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

you go trough the steps of purchasing and right next to the product before you pay there is an instore pick up option. It will then tell you if it is available in store

22. DribbleCastle macrumors regular

DribbleCastle

Good tip. Looks like anything with 8GB's is coming June 23 around my area. Would order online but waiting for a discount.

23. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

You have to call around. Here in the SF Bay Area, ALL of the Apple stores carry the $999, $1099, and $1649 2.0ghz\256gb\8gb model. They don't show online because the config utility looks for the CTO sku so automatically puts the availability out a week for pickup. Just call and ask for MD845LL/A that's the store stocked "ultimate"

Yesterday I flew up to Portland. All 3 of the stores in the portland area had the "ultimate"... and with my company discount plus the tax-free Oregon I saved over $500 for the two I bought (8.75% sales tax plus CA eWaste fee). I fly free so it's not a big deal, but yeah... nice savings. I cancelled the CTO order I had put for the 1.8\256\8gb... was a little more in store since the SKU above has 2.0ghz, but who cares, with the no tax and company discount I ended up paying $1517 each out the door which is cheaper than the lesser CTO I had ordered :)

Just landed back in SF... It's restoring time machine right now. My only annoyance is the new magsafe. I have 3 of the old ones in a couple rooms and in my away-bag... now I have to replace them all. Hopefully apple shareholders appreciate apple forcing customers to update with zero technical enhancement to the power supply, hahahaa....

----------

People, the store shelf "ultimate" model is MD845LL/A, don't chose the higher model and add on the stuff to make it or of course it'll say 5 days out. You have to call the store and ask for MD845LL/A

24. juuuice macrumors newbie

they had the 1649 11" or 13"?

I called a few stores in SEA and the only 8gb versions of the 13" they had were the maxed out versions @ 2199.

25. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

MD845LL/A is the 11" ... I didn't ask about the 13" because IMO at that size with an "ultimate" config I'd just up to the new MBP... but I spend a LOT of time in an airplane seat, often regional jets, and for that sole purpose a 11" is my ideal travel system.