Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

draperm25

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Swansea
It also stats on the o2 website that you will be able to purchase it online

Where to buy?

You'll be able to purchase the iPhone online at o2.co.uk, in one or our high street stores or by calling O2. It will also be available at The Carphone Warehouse.

Nothing about the Apple stores or on the Apple website tho?

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
Where to Buy/

As draperm25 mentions above

Seems UK phones are only from o2 or CPW stores although this is from the o2 website

This special early upgrade offer is only available online at o2.co.uk anytime from 11th July until 11th October 2008.

The CPW website states a similar message but not the only online bit?

What happens after October?:confused:

US have AT&T store or Apple Stores, no online buying from Apple anywhere it looks like.

MacGuy88

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2006
Braunschweig, Germany
Phone Numbers

What about people that are getting an entirely new number and stuff? How did that work with the 1st iPhone and do you think people will 'choose' a number in the Apple store? That would be a nightmare if people went flipping through books looking for the *perfect* number.

nwlondonlad

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
As draperm25 mentions above

Seems UK phones are only from o2 or CPW stores although this is from the o2 website

This special early upgrade offer is only available online at o2.co.uk anytime from 11th July until 11th October 2008.

The CPW website states a similar message but not the only online bit?

What happens after October?:confused:

They run out of stock and Steve Jobs announces the Iphone 4G just in time for Christmas, the vicious circle continues :D

iphoneK

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
I have a family plan and if i renew does the whole family have to renew the contact meaning that i will have to start another 2 years. Also do I have to buy the 3g plan. I rather not have it.

saDeRmac

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
I have a family plan and if i renew does the whole family have to renew the contact meaning that i will have to start another 2 years. Also do I have to buy the 3g plan. I rather not have it.
The contract is on the line (number) not the plan. Yes you have to have the $30 internet plan b/c w/o it you will not be able to have internet on the phone w/o wifi... which to me defeats the purpose of half the features on the iPhone. Its all about portability. Regardless of any PDA phone there is the internet pkg for each phone that starts at $30.

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
I don't understand what the big fuss is about.

In-store activations have been occurring every since the first cell phone was sold in the US. It doesn't matter now.

They're not too worried about long lines or logistics. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they limit stock on the 11th.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I don't understand what the big fuss is about.

In-store activations have been occurring every since the first cell phone was sold in the US. It doesn't matter now.

They're not too worried about long lines or logistics. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they limit stock on the 11th.

Right, but not every phone in US history has people lining up outside the store. It will take them forever to get through people, whether they limit sales or not.

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
Right, but not every phone in US history has people lining up outside the store. It will take them forever to get through people, whether they limit sales or not.

There was no chaos in Germany's iphone launch last year --- which required Germans to sign a contract with T-Mobile Germany before they sell them an iphone.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Since they are including a "SIM card ejection tool" in the box, it's possible they'll activate the SIMs and just tell you how to get it set up on the phone when you get home.

It's also possible that the apple store employees will have hand scanners or other computers going to move the line faster.

They move people pretty quickly, and I am willing to wait and see what their plan is before second guessing them. Remember all the people convinced there would be iphone shortages for months? And the endless debates about how long to wait? And after all that, stores like the 5th ave store in NYC moved several thousand people in 3 hours...this is not a company that is unfamiliar with managing a complex crowd.

Hoopdy

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
I don't understand the whole penalties thing... How can someone not activate it if they must to even purchase it?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
In Germany, you need to sign a mobile contract plan inside the t-mobile store before you get the first generation iphone.

There was absolutely no logistical problem what-so-ever.

I don't see a problem with that, otherwise requiring every current iPhone customer to actually walk into a store to upgrade would also be a nightmare.

Some of the replies by AT&T reps made it sound like they'd send a phone out for iTunes activation if the customer did the usually phone dance to start a new contract.

iphoneK

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
The contract is on the line (number) not the plan. Yes you have to have the $30 internet plan b/c w/o it you will not be able to have internet on the phone w/o wifi... which to me defeats the purpose of half the features on the iPhone. Its all about portability. Regardless of any PDA phone there is the internet pkg for each phone that starts at $30.

So your saying that only my number has the contract. What is the contract exactly that there making you sign? Is it just extending the contract to be longer or what? And do I have to get the $30 internet plan what if i just want to use it on the wifi? I really don't use the interent when I'm on the go everywhere I usually go has free wifi.

is it possible for me to just buy the iphone 3g somewhere else and just slip in my sim card like on any other gsm phone?

saDeRmac

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
So your saying that only my number has the contract. What is the contract exactly that there making you sign? Is it just extending the contract to be longer or what? And do I have to get the $30 internet plan what if i just want to use it on the wifi? I really don't use the interent when I'm on the go everywhere I usually go has free wifi.

is it possible for me to just buy the iphone 3g somewhere else and just slip in my sim card like on any other gsm phone?
Not enough information is availible at this time to make a solid conclusion. You will be signing a 2 yr extension. Also each of your other lines has a separate contract on it. The phone constantly uses data whether connected to wifi or not. That is why the original iPhone was coupled with the data plan already. I'm not sure why they decided to up the data price but I can say its probably b/c of the subsidy. I won't be surprised if they require the data plan.

iphoneK

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
Not enough information is availible at this time to make a solid conclusion. You will be signing a 2 yr extension. The phone constantly uses data whether connected to wifi or not. That is why the original iPhone was coupled with the data plan already. I'm not sure why they decided to up the data price but I can say its probably b/c of the subsidy. I won't be surprised if they require the data plan.

So what about all those people who bought there iphone on ebay or craigslist and just put there old sim cards in and started to use the iphone, can i do that with the new 3g iphone?

CrazEtooN

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Hampton Roads, Virginia
Since they are including a "SIM card ejection tool" in the box, it's possible they'll activate the SIMs and just tell you how to get it set up on the phone when you get home.

It's also possible that the apple store employees will have hand scanners or other computers going to move the line faster.

They move people pretty quickly, and I am willing to wait and see what their plan is before second guessing them. Remember all the people convinced there would be iphone shortages for months? And the endless debates about how long to wait? And after all that, stores like the 5th ave store in NYC moved several thousand people in 3 hours...this is not a company that is unfamiliar with managing a complex crowd.

You are missing the point. The activation of each phone takes a minimum of 10 minutes to do. There is only so fast they can do it, and there is only so many people they can have working. All you had to do for the last one was walk in, pay, walk out. Of course that goes fast...

attadj

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
So what about all those people who bought there iphone on ebay or craigslist and just put there old sim cards in and started to use the iphone, can i do that with the new 3g iphone?

Probably not because as of right now you can't leave the store without activating it. If you can't buy the phone over the internet then we won't even be able to test this theory.

iphoneK

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
Probably not because as of right now you can't leave the store without activating it. If you can't buy the phone over the internet then we won't even be able to test this theory.

some how people will get it and sell it there seliing it in all these different countries its bound to happen

saDeRmac

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
Activating in store prevents you from being able to do that.
You are missing the point. The activation of each phone takes a minimum of 10 minutes to do. There is only so fast they can do it, and there is only so many people they can have working. All you had to do for the last one was walk in, pay, walk out. Of course that goes fast...
Not really you had to run credit and make sure that account is active and then make sure that the cust knew how to activate it which explaining could take some time... so thats prob 15 mins there for new customers and about 10 mins for people just upgrading. I seriously don't know how bad its gonna be on July 15. I work for AT&T and I'm dreading the day...

xanatos

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
whats going to happen to new customers that port there #'s over

took me a while to get it ported over annnd then having to call att and get a credit check, (which the store reps didnt even know what that was, and i had to explain to them, and they finally found "some numbers that showed up")

and this was 3 months after iphone 1 was released.

I feel like this is going to be a huge mess and inconvenience, but who knows maybe we all over reactting. Though I hope not cause I really really want to see a lot of choas and have a big fatty on ATT, I dont like em

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Some of you act like most people buying the 3G iPhone will be making their first cell phone purchase EVER.

This is very standard procedure, all of us have been through it, we all know what to expect.

Yes it will be crowded on 7/11. But, I suspect people will spread themselves out some. Current iPhone users are less likely to have to be there the minute it opens to upgrade. Plus you will not have people waiting in line to buy phones to sell on E-Bay or ship to Zimbabwe or to give to their aunt sally or to stick in the closet.

So that will cut down on the traffic.

AT&T has also said they have taken steps to streamline the process so it will take less time than it normally does.

If you are adverse to waiting around, then I suggest you don't buy it on 7/11.

People waited in line for 3 days to get the last iPhone. I suspect that nobody will have to wait that long in line this time.

rolex54

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Houston, TX
Some of you act like most people buying the 3G iPhone will be making their first cell phone purchase EVER.

This is very standard procedure, all of us have been through it, we all know what to expect.

Yes it will be crowded on 7/11. But, I suspect people will spread themselves out some. Current iPhone users are less likely to have to be there the minute it opens to upgrade. Plus you will not have people waiting in line to buy phones to sell on E-Bay or ship to Zimbabwe or to give to their aunt sally or to stick in the closet.

So that will cut down on the traffic.

AT&T has also said they have taken steps to streamline the process so it will take less time than it normally does.

If you are adverse to waiting around, then I suggest you don't buy it on 7/11.

People waited in line for 3 days to get the last iPhone. I suspect that nobody will have to wait that long in line this time.

Well this iPhone is $400 dollars cheaper than the first iPhone, it is more feature filled, and most people find that apple will have prolly worked out most of the kinks. The lines will take and outrageous amount of time if we are all required to activate in store, especially at 10 minutes to a phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.