In-Store Activation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleBoyFreak, Aug 20, 2012.

1. AppleBoyFreak macrumors 6502

Hello, I have a pretty random question, but a question nonetheless. Anyways, I will soon be getting a MacBook Pro and would like to upgrade to the new iPhone 5, I'm talking about the weekend of October 6th so the new iPhone should be announced by then, and was wondering if I would be able to use my upgrade to buy a new iPhone, but not activate it in store? Basically I'm asking is if you buy an iPhone with your contract can you open it yourself at home or do the Apple employees have to open it and activate it there?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You can activate your iPhone where ever you want. Also, computer free. At least that's Apple's pitch.

3. AppleBoyFreak thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure. When the iPhone 4S was released I bought it from Radio Shack and used my dad's upgrade. They didn't open it there but since I had to put my sim in it they said I needed to go to AT&T and get it activated. There the employee just ripped off the screen protectors and threw my phone around which made me and my OCD very upset. That's why I was wondering because I would much rather activate it at home where I feel it is suitable.

4. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

Short answer- yes you can get it without them activating it, but...

I had a instant the other day, iphone had an home button issue and got it replaced. Problem is my sim card got changed to a 4g sim card(doesn't work in iphones) and put in another device. So yes the iphone was more of an ipod. Any how I explained this to the "genius" and he kept insisting he had to activate it but i told him if i put the sim card in the iphone it would kill the sim card and making it in convenient. So he went back and came back giving me a new phone. Untouched from them.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

How does Apple have 4G SIM cards if they don't even have 4G phones?

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I don't know about that. I am using the same SIM in my 4S that was used in an S3 with LTE.

7. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

Yeah. I don't believe the sim card has anything to do with LTE. In fact, I think I recall reading posts where folks swapped their is card between their iPad with LTE and their iPhone.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

When I look at my plan online at att.com it says I have LTE unlimited data, and I am using an iphone which is impossible. They never changed it back when I went from the S3 back to the iphone.

9. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

iPad 3 has LTE

----------

I'm just quoting what Verizon told me if I moved my LTE sim to a non LTE phone (iphone 4s)

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Oh yeah. Duh!