In-Store Activation

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
Hello, I have a pretty random question, but a question nonetheless. Anyways, I will soon be getting a MacBook Pro and would like to upgrade to the new iPhone 5, I'm talking about the weekend of October 6th so the new iPhone should be announced by then, and was wondering if I would be able to use my upgrade to buy a new iPhone, but not activate it in store? Basically I'm asking is if you buy an iPhone with your contract can you open it yourself at home or do the Apple employees have to open it and activate it there?

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
You can activate your iPhone where ever you want. Also, computer free. At least that's Apple's pitch.
That's what I thought but I wasn't sure. When the iPhone 4S was released I bought it from Radio Shack and used my dad's upgrade. They didn't open it there but since I had to put my sim in it they said I needed to go to AT&T and get it activated. There the employee just ripped off the screen protectors and threw my phone around which made me and my OCD very upset. That's why I was wondering because I would much rather activate it at home where I feel it is suitable.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Hello, I have a pretty random question, but a question nonetheless. Anyways, I will soon be getting a MacBook Pro and would like to upgrade to the new iPhone 5, I'm talking about the weekend of October 6th so the new iPhone should be announced by then, and was wondering if I would be able to use my upgrade to buy a new iPhone, but not activate it in store? Basically I'm asking is if you buy an iPhone with your contract can you open it yourself at home or do the Apple employees have to open it and activate it there?
Short answer- yes you can get it without them activating it, but...

I had a instant the other day, iphone had an home button issue and got it replaced. Problem is my sim card got changed to a 4g sim card(doesn't work in iphones) and put in another device. So yes the iphone was more of an ipod. Any how I explained this to the "genius" and he kept insisting he had to activate it but i told him if i put the sim card in the iphone it would kill the sim card and making it in convenient. So he went back and came back giving me a new phone. Untouched from them.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

I had a instant the other day, iphone had an home button issue and got it replaced. Problem is my sim card got changed to a 4g sim card(doesn't work in iphones) and put in another device. So yes the iphone was more of an ipod. Any how I explained this to the "genius" and he kept insisting he had to activate it but i told him if i put the sim card in the iphone it would kill the sim card and making it in convenient. So he went back and came back giving me a new phone. Untouched from them.
How does Apple have 4G SIM cards if they don't even have 4G phones?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

I don't know about that. I am using the same SIM in my 4S that was used in an S3 with LTE.

JerseyDoug

macrumors regular
May 10, 2012
I don't know about that. I am using the same SIM in my 4S that was used in an S3 with LTE.
Yeah. I don't believe the sim card has anything to do with LTE. In fact, I think I recall reading posts where folks swapped their is card between their iPad with LTE and their iPhone.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Yeah. I don't believe the sim card has anything to do with LTE. In fact, I think I recall reading posts where folks swapped their is card between their iPad with LTE and their iPhone.
When I look at my plan online at att.com it says I have LTE unlimited data, and I am using an iphone which is impossible. They never changed it back when I went from the S3 back to the iphone.