in-store pick up - do I have to come in early?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gabo864, Sep 15, 2014.

1. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

Hey everyone

I'm doing in-store pick up here in Florida. Do I need to come to the store early and wait in line? or can I just walk in any time I want during the day and pick up my phone?

On the website it says the Apple Store will be open from 8 am until 9 pm. They already charged my card and it still says "processing"

Thanks

2. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

You have 24 hours. It may be a good idea to get everyone else get theirs so you don't waste your whole day. They usually give you a day to pick it up.

3. satchow macrumors 6502

I've only done In-Store Pickup once, and that was a while ago for the iPhone 4. I assumed I'd just be able to stroll in at noon or so and pick it up, but I ended up having to stand in line for 5 hours with everybody else who preordered for In-Store Pickup. The line went from the Apple store, up the stairs all the way around Macy's and to the otherside of the mall. I was furious since my friend got his phone before I did via UPS.

4. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

there's gonna be plenty of people who will pick up.. so if anything come early so you're ahead of them and leave early. I believe there's also two lines, 1 for preorder pick up and 1 for people who didn't preorder.

5. l.w41sh macrumors 6502

I am also doing an in store pickup in FL. My local Apple store has special hours posted, I am gonna try to get there early and hope they have a separate line for me to get mine.

6. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

I'm in FL too (Palm Beach Gardens) and plan on getting there at 6:30am. Leaving during the day will be hard... Would rather just get to work late. REALLY REALLY hoping ready for pickup email arrives before store opens!

7. gabo864 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gabo864

Oh cool, I will be going to the Apple store in Altamonte Springs. I'm actually on vacation n Daytona Beach so I'll try and leave early in the AM. Do I have to actually wait for an email from them telling me my phone is ready for pick up?

8. touaregv10 macrumors newbie

The Amex charge for my pick-up order is already pending. I suspect all the pick-up phones will be pre-paid and therefore just require a quick verification and signature to complete the process.

I can't imagine the pick-up line will be the same as the "wait for store inventory" line?

9. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

I heard Apple is activating all phones before they leave the store, so I am not sure how long it will really take (or if this is even true)...

10. l.w41sh macrumors 6502

We should have a MacRumors meet up. (or storm the store and take EVERYTHING)

11. fobia79 macrumors member

I call BS. I have a friend that works at an apple store and yo have more than 24 hours. The phone is yours and they will hold it until they call you to ask is still are going to pick it up or want to cancel the order.

I am also from FL and picking mine from Florida Mall sometime during the weekend but not on Friday.

12. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Ive done it before and thats what I was told in my emails. They do let you extend it which Ive said in a previous post on the subject.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Given this, why would anyone opt for in-store pickup rather than home delivery?

14. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

For me it was because 9/19 was an available pick-up date when home delivery had been already pushed out until late Sept, early Oct. (I ran into this on pre-order night at 12:45am, ordering from the app).

Not looking forward to the crowds, but it was my only shot at launch day seeing as how wonky the servers were behaving on pre-order night.

15. JoetheBastard macrumors member

Because it is 2 different orders for apple. They have x amount of "release day shipments" and y amount of "release day pre orders.: The shipments usually sell out faster than the pre orders. Granted they are all "pre orders" to us.

16. fobia79 macrumors member

In my case I will be out of state and don't have an alternate address or person to receive the order.

17. gabo864 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gabo864

Same with me. I'm here in Florida on Vacation and won't be back to GA until Sunday. That's why I decided to do in-store pick up here in Florida.

18. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

In the past the San Francisco store had 2 lines. The pickup line was much shorter but still took a while to get through. I had friends who showed up later that day and spent maybe 30 minutes in the line. Where I spent like 4 hours because I wanted mine asap :D

I am again going to get there very early for the pick up line. This way I can leave the store and head right into the office to show off my new toy :D

19. whyrichard macrumors 68000

so if I have already bought the phone for pickup on the 19th, but I am not available to get the phone until the 20th or even later, what will the apple store do with my phone?

Shouldn't it be reserved for me?

Thanks,r

20. vbrad26 macrumors member

You have 24 hours to pick up the phone.
    I have now heard that twice from Apple customer service.

I am going to be out of town (which is why I chose to have it sent the store thinking I could just get it when I got back but that is not the case) so I am going to have to have someone else pick it up for me.

My father is an authorized user on my AT&T account so I am sending him I suppose...

21. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Thank you. I tried to tell people that but they didnt want to hear it.

22. vbrad26 macrumors member

The reason I have heard this twice is because I originally hear it from a friend so I called to confirm.

I called again tonight to make sure everything was set to go for my father to come in and pick it up, and I again asked about the 24 hour deal and it is in fact true...unless 2 different Apple employees are wrong.

23. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Plan to wait, there will be 2 lines
    1)Those who pre-ordered and selected pick up at store
    2)People waiting who didn't preorder

When I reserved my 4, they had 2 lines. Got there early and still waited 3 hours. There were a bunch of people in line with reservations and a TON without. They would bring in 15 or so from each line at a time...

24. whyrichard macrumors 68000

And if I loose patience and fall out of 24 hours, just a refund of money?

r.

25. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

I'm also picking my phone up @ the SF store. Kind of looking forward to the launch day craziness but think I want to avoid that early morning rush and possible longer wait times. But I also have to have enough time to show the new phone off at my office as well! :p