In-store pickup on the 16th - any details?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by netnothing, Mar 14, 2012.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

So for those that successfully ordered for in-store pickup on the 16th....does anyone know the details on how that works?

-Is it available to pickup all day?
    -Is it held beyond the 1st day?
    -I'm guessing there is a separate line for preorders pickups?

Thanks!

-Kevin

2. Tones2 macrumors 65816

If there was an in-store pickup option for iPad 3 pre-orders, it's news to me.

Tony

3. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yes it was available. It started late on the first day, and went until pre-orders for the first day stopped.

I have two pre-ordered for pickup on the 16th. Apple has authorized my card for both.

-Kevin

4. pogiboi macrumors regular

I'm curious about this as well.... have mine reserved for pickup here in Houston.

5. mac jones macrumors 68040

Also, i've noticed that it's in the 'in processing' state and can be canceled at any time. I would imagine this will not change until perhaps I get the email from Apple that it's available at the store, but even then there's a good chance I could still cancel it.

6. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yes same here. Both processing and I can cancel. The charges hit my card this past Sunday and have staying in the authorizations category since.

My best guess.....only a guess here is that we get emails on the 16th that they are available to pickup.

I thought I heard that PAST product launches that included in-store pickups that they were available for that day only.....after that they went to standbys.

-Kevin

7. pdawg macrumors regular

Probably contact the Apple store directly. I stopped by earlier this week with some questions and they were expecting people for in store pickup.

8. mac jones macrumors 68040

Yes, I was worried about that of course (that would sort of suck), so I went to the Apple site to check for details, and couldn't find anywhere where it says that if you neglect to pick yours up on launch day it goes to the scalpers (or whoever).

I don't know. If mine ends up in China selling for $1K i'm going to be pissed :D

9. billnye97 macrumors regular

When I picked up the first iPad there were two separate lines. One for those that preordered and another for those that didn't. They took the preorder line first for an hour and then the line that didn't preorder.

10. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Just received an email from Apple

Just got the first email from Apple saying my order will be available anytime on or after 3/16.

So looks like you can pick them up anytime.

This is for the iPad I ordered first day.

-Kevin

Attached Files:

11. nick7138 macrumors member

I just got the same email as well. As posted in another forums post, these emails are automatically sent out as soon as the store gets them delivered. These should go out by the end of today and if not early tomorrow sometime.

12. Xscapes macrumors regular

How do you select pick up in-store?
    Its not eligible for me at check out.

13. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

It's no longer available. It was only available briefly on announcement day.

14. Xscapes macrumors regular

As i remember when i place the order on announcement day it's not eligible too.

15. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

No, it was eligible for a brief period of time in the evening, which is how I was able to preorder for pickup. Initially it was unavailable, then it became available for just a few hours.

16. nick7138 macrumors member

On that day, the store kept going up and down, as you know. While the store was up for small periods of time at the beginning, people, including myself, were able to quickly order it for in-store pickup before it went back down. I ordered mine around 3:45 that day and the store went back down again right after I placed it. When it came back up, the option was gone. It did come back Thursday morning, but it didn't last too long.

17. Xscapes macrumors regular

Oh i see, i spent almost 3hrs to place the order after announcement due to the high traffic of the website. Maybe i was too lated.

18. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

When preorders first opened, you could not order for in-store pickup. After a few hours (I think it was after like 6pm Pacific), they fixed it so you could do in-store pickup. When they sold enough systems to push the shipping date beyond the 16th, they killed the in-store pickup option.

Stores will be opening at 8am on the 16th. Preorders can pick up their device any time on the 16th - preorder units are kept separate from the ones available to walk-ins - so there's no need to wait in line if you don't want to. Beyond that, how the launch is handled is up to the individual store.

19. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

Please read my thread here for all the important information you need regarding store pickup.

20. nick7138 macrumors member

Thanks for that! I found it a few days ago but I forgot to bookmark it. It was actually really helpful.

21. nflight4life macrumors newbie

I ordered my 3 on launch night and as one poster noted in store pickup was available briefly...I had initially requested shipping to my home and then changed my selection to my office and while doing that I realized in store pickup became an option @ my local mall so I ended up going that route. Apple sent me an email today telling me my 3 will be ready for p/u on or after March 16th up until March 25th....Based on that email, I'd have to assume they hold the device until the 25th and if no show they probably release back into their inventory.

22. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Keep in mind that little of that is accurate.

23. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

Sorry, all of it is accurate. I'm not sure what you're basing your information on.

24. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Awesome info thanks!

As for when preorders for store pickup were.....they didn't start working until late the first day....I did mine at 11pm EST. I also preordered another on the 9th for store pickup. Both have been charged to my card, so far only one "it's ready" email.

-Kevin

25. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

What the manager at my Apple Store said when I went in and talked to him. And also common sense - you really think 500 people wanting iPads AREN'T gonna be put in a line, and just told to mob the store and find a representative? It was pretty obvious that you were told information that they give for all non-launch store pickups.