Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGeekity

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Hello,

First time doing a launch day Pickup. I have a 11pro set for in store pickup.

However I haven't been charged or anything at all.

Order status is currently "Processing", and the next stage is "Check in Today"

My question is, when will they charge my card? When i go there to pick it up?

Reactions: Apple2zcore

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Hello,

First time doing a launch day Pickup. I have a 11pro set for in store pickup.

However I haven't been charged or anything at all.

Order status is currently "Processing", and the next stage is "Check in Today"

My question is, when will they charge my card? When i go there to pick it up?
Keep checking your bank card or your credit card account that you used to purchase this. It may show up soon. I've seen on some other thread that the charges are starting to show up on their accounts.

MrGeekity

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Just called in, and she said i had a failed email yesterday, and attempted the payment, and it's paid now.

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
For those that have done the in-store pickup on launch day how long does it usually take once you arrive at your window? Do I have to stand in line? I'm on the 1up program so I do I have to wait around for them to restore my backup or can I just give them my old phone and setup the new one myself later? Just curious as I will sort of be on a tight schedule

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Depends on where you live. There are usually two lines - the long, just buying now line and a very short already paid for, just picking up line.

Where I live, I literally just walked in and was out on three minutes.

Reactions: AE14 and eagleglen

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
For those that have done the in-store pickup on launch day how long does it usually take once you arrive at your window? Do I have to stand in line? I'm on the 1up program so I do I have to wait around for them to restore my backup or can I just give them my old phone and setup the new one myself later? Just curious as I will sort of be on a tight schedule
Last year the Apple Store in the Freehold Mall (NJ) had two separate lines and it took very quick. What you should do is have an iCloud backup of your current iPhone (assuming you wish to restore from a backup) before getting there. They will inspect your old phone and set you up with the Apple store Wifi to setup and restore the new iPhone. You don't have to wait for the restore to complete - things like Apple Music, Apple Photos and your various apps take a while to do. Or you can just take the new iPhone and do it yourself - but then obviously the new iPhone won't work until you get home and do it.
Even with doing the start of the restoring process, it took maybe 15 minutes once I got into the store. And the wait on line was not bad at all - depends on how many others asked for the same window.

Reactions: gsucyclist

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
Last year the Apple Store in the Freehold Mall (NJ) had two separate lines and it took very quick. What you should do is have an iCloud backup of your current iPhone (assuming you wish to restore from a backup) before getting there. They will inspect your old phone and set you up with the Apple store Wifi to setup and restore the new iPhone. You don't have to wait for the restore to complete - things like Apple Music, Apple Photos and your various apps take a while to do. Or you can just take the new iPhone and do it yourself - but then obviously the new iPhone won't work until you get home and do it.
Even with doing the start of the restoring process, it took maybe 15 minutes once I got into the store. And the wait on line was not bad at all - depends on how many others asked for the same window.

Thank you for the insight. That sounds good. This is what I will do as far as backing up is concerned. I have done the in-store pickup before, just never for an iPhone and never on launch day so not sure what to expect. My window is pretty late in the afternoon (4-4:30pm) so I'm hoping that a lot of people have already been through and picked theirs up

Oh and I was charged yesterday for the tax. iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB Midnight Green

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
If you do choose to do it in the store, they will probably be very happy to let you sit at a table with both phones until you're sure that the new phone has gotten all the data from your old phone - if you are willing to wait in the store until it's done. I've done this twice and they were totally happy to let me sit and do this in the store. And yes, I'm super-cautious about restoring the old phone's data to the new phone, most especially the health/activity/workout data, which I once had a bad experience with (probably my fault). ;). You may be less neurotic. :D

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY

Did the swap out your sim cards?

appleish19

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2014
We definitely had two lines here in Las Vegas. Last year it was really orderly and very quick. My credit card was charged yesterday according to the app.

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
So the other question, do you wipe the old phone while there in the store before handing it over?

tcannizz

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
Regarding my pickup window. My window is 8-8:30 am. What happens if I show up at 8:45 for example? Do I lose out on my phone?

svnty6rs3

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Regarding my pickup window. My window is 8-8:30 am. What happens if I show up at 8:45 for example? Do I lose out on my phone?

nah. I believe they hold your phone for up to 14 days after the pickup day. Prob just more so there to keep people from all coming at once early in the day.

Reactions: AE14

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
So the other question, do you wipe the old phone while there in the store before handing it over?

Not unless you're really sure you've got an iCloud or encrypted iTunes backup you can use to set up the new phone (if that 's what you want to do).

The last couple of times I've changed phones I've sat at a table in the store until the process was complete, and only when I was really sure the new phone had my data and was working did I wipe the phone and hand it back to a Genius. I assume I'll be doing the same thing this year.
[doublepost=1568664275][/doublepost]
nah. I believe they hold your phone for up to 14 days after the pickup day. Prob just more so there to keep people from all coming at once early in the day.

I have two phones in different windows. One is 08:30-09:00. The other is 09:30 to 10:00. I'm hoping that I can pick up the second phone at the same time. In theory, it's hard to see how that would be a problem, but we'll see.

Reactions: gsucyclist
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.