Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
What is the difference between these two?

I preordered it for pickup in the store. Will I have to wait in an incredibly long line with the other people who are winging it, and didn't preorder?

Does anyone know how this will work? Any ideas?

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
You did not pre order it to pickup in store. If you pre ordered it, you would have paid for it (with a credit card) and it would be shipped to your house.

You reserved it. If you show up in the morning after opening you'll have to wait behind everyone else who did show up early. If you show up before opening then you'll get priority over those who didn't preorder.

You can go in as late as you want to on the 24th but if stocks are short there is no guarentee that Apple won't take your reservation and sell it to smoeone who has cash in hand and is ready to go. They reserve the right to do so.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I also have a reservation and I think we'll be in the same line. In my confirmation email it said it wasn't guaranteed and that iphone will be given out first come first served. So, Im not sure what the point of a "reservation" was.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
You are correct, I RESERVED the phone.

Rewording my question: Do you think I'll have to wait in the same line as those that did not reserve a phone?

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
You are correct, I RESERVED the phone.

Rewording my question: Do you think I'll have to wait in the same line as those that did not reserve a phone?

Depends on when you arrive.

If you show up BEFORE the store opens, you will be given priority over those who did not reserve. The line will be split into those who preordered and those who didn't, and those who didn't will be served after those who did.

If you show up AFTER the store opens and there is still a line, you'll more than likely be put at the end of it, Which means :
(front)people who preordered---people who didn't preorder---you(back).

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA

If you show up BEFORE the store opens, you will be given priority over those who did not reserve. The line will be split into those who preordered and those who didn't, and those who didn't will be served after those who did.

If you show up AFTER the store opens and there is still a line, you'll more than likely be put at the end of it, Which means :

That sounds ok with me. Why do you think it will work this way?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
So essentially there is no difference between a reservation and a walk in. Hardly worth the time. I'm sure the line will be a mile long.

casedogg311

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2009
You can go in as late as you want to on the 24th but if stocks are short there is no guarentee that Apple won't take your reservation and sell it to smoeone who has cash in hand and is ready to go. They reserve the right to do so.

Apple will NOT sell your reserved phone on the 24th. They hold it for you until close of business. You can go any time you wish.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
That sounds ok with me. Why do you think it will work this way?

Because this conforms with their "first come first serve" clause, of course giving priority to those with preorders.

So essentially there is no difference between a reservation and a walk in. Hardly worth the time. I'm sure the line will be a mile long.

If you show up after opening, no. But if you show up before opening, yes. I'd much rather had been in the "reserved" line than the "no reserved" line because the "reserved" line was pretty long lol.

Apple will NOT sell your reserved phone on the 24th. They hold it for you until close of business. You can go any time you wish.

Why do you say this?

---------------------------------

Again this is just my experience. I made sure I knew the process so I wouldn't be standing out there for nothing, but if the experience was any different at any other stores, I hope someone else will chime in.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

No, there is a difference. You'll have a phone with your name on it that they will not sell on Thursday. So you can show up at 5 PM if you like. There will still be a phone for you.

If you don't have a reservation and show up at 5 PM it's very likely that there won't be any phones left and they'll tell you to get lost.

Big difference.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

No, not correct. If you reserved a phone then you have first dibs to the store allocation. Most likely you WILL get a phone. If you walk-in then there is definitely no phone w/ your name one it.

For the iPad launch stores had two different inventories: reserved orders and walk-in stock.

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
The Boylston apple store kept two lines, one for reserved and one for non-reserves, all day for the iPad. Your reserved phone comes from sepArate reserve stock And will not be sold to anyone who did not reserve.
Same was true for the 3GS.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
No, not correct. If you reserved a phone then you have first dibs to the store allocation. Most likely you WILL get a phone. If you walk-in then there is definitely no phone w/ your name one it.

For the iPad launch stores had two different inventories: reserved orders and walk-in stock.

Thanks, maybe Ill try at lunch then. I just don't want to wait only to be sent away without one.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I also have a reservation and I think we'll be in the same line. In my confirmation email it said it wasn't guaranteed and that iphone will be given out first come first served. So, Im not sure what the point of a "reservation" was.

The email actually say that "preauthorization" does not guarantee availability. I don't think this is referring to your reservation, but rather, your authorization to but the phone by AT&T. The email goes on to say that they will hold the phone at the store until close of business, at which time, if it has not been picked up, the reservation will be cancelled. It also states that Apple reserves the right to cancel the reservation if it was obtained deceptively, not if there is another paying customer that wants the phone as a previous poster suggested.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

Are you basing this on your actual experience or are you just coming up with this from what you imagine might happen? It seems to me if you made a reservation, regardless of when you show up, you will be afforded some sort of preferential treatment.

rwbmke

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
I reserved for in store pick up and my confirmation email says that my phone will be held for me until end of business day. That would tell me that they will not sell my reserved phone to someone thay may happen to get to the store before me.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Are you basing this on your actual experience or are you just coming up with this from what you imagine might happen? It seems to me if you made a reservation, regardless of when you show up, you will be afforded some sort of preferential treatment.

I was at the front of the line last time and witnessed what happened to those who didn't have a reservation. I don't know what will happen AFTER the line gets split into "reservation" and "non reservation" and you arrive after those with reservations are taken care of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.