In store ram installations

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by j-a-x, Nov 27, 2008.

1. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Hi,
    I've got a quick question about buying a new MacBook in an Apple retail store.

If I want the MacBook 2.4ghz with 4 GB of RAM, does the store need to install that extra RAM, or do they have some machines boxed up and ready to go with 4 GB? And if they do need to install it, how long does it take? Do you need to pre order it, or can they get it installed same day?

I'm wondering becuase I'd like to go pick up a new MacBook at the Black Friday sale tomorrow if the price is right.

Thanks!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The Apple Store does it for you. All MacBooks in-store have 2GB standard, but when you pay for the upgrade, the stores upgrades them for you in the instant. However, I don't know how long they will take considering Friday is Black Friday. (you know, loads of people)

3. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Cool. Yeah as long as it's same day it's okay I think. I know its going to be busy. I am starting to doubt that the prices will be any better than the student pricing which I could also get, but we'll see. It's the right time to buy either way so I'll probably end up going tomorrow. I can always check out other sales while the upgrade the RAM.

Maybe I'm crazy.. maybe I'm just impatient, but I'd be really happy to get the new laptop tomorrow.

4. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

I bought mine when the store was super busy and they refused to do it on the spot. They wanted to hold the machine overnight to do this.

I suspect it will be the same or similar on Black Friday.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

Whether or not they keep it overnight, at least you'll still be getting it at the Black Friday prices. Unless you're extremely impatient, an extra day won't set you back horrendously. And with all the issues people are having with installing third party RAM, I'd definitely suggest getting it done by Apple, wait or no wait.

6. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Well I would just recommend getting there very early, like right when the store opens.
    Then go straight to an employee without waiting and talk to them.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I bought my MacBook last Black Friday. They didn't look that busy, but maybe it was because I went at night. There were a lot of people looking at the sexy MBPs and iPhones.

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

As far as I know, upgrades can only be done when the genius bar is open. They won't be open tomorrow at any of the US stores.

9. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

does anyone know why it still costs $250 to upgrade a whitebook in store?? that upgrade is worth no more than $60, why does apple do that????

10. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

This is starting to sound bad. The store is far enough away and in an annoyingly congested enough part of town that coming back the next day is a fairly major inconvenience to me.

So you don't think they will have any machines prepared with 4 GB ready to go if the genius bar won't be open?

Do you think they could just give me my 4GB of ram and let me install it myself?

11. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

The price listed to upgrade the new MacBook from 2 GB to 4 GB is $150 ($130 with student discount). Not sure if the sale would affect that.

12. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Snow Leopard: Was the genius bar open last year? Were they doing RAM upgrades or making people wait 24 hours?

13. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Sorry for the flood of posts. Just to point this out: the Apple store is taking online Genius Bar appointments tomorrow, so ti doesn't appear that it will be closed, unless you know something that I don't know.

14. aethelbert macrumors 601

I was once able to pick up a machine that had the upgrade already, but that's been about five years ago. They may have some done, but I really doubt it. On busy days like the iPhone launch, black friday, et al, it's pretty much all hands on deck. If they're not doing repairs, they're most likely not doing upgrades.

I would be shocked if they'd do that.

Why don't you just order it online? You'll get it next week and you won't have to put up with waking up early to listen to a twenty minute sales pitch about everything in the store.

That's odd. Every store that I've tried has skipped over Friday for appointments. In the past they've been closed for me, but maybe it's open at some stores. I've only been to three on black friday over the last seven years, so it could be different. It might be a bug in the system, though, because some stores show that they're taking appointments today when every store (except 5th avenue) is closed.

15. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

I guess I could order it online, but I don't really want to wait until next week and I was prepared to do some christmas shopping tomorrow anyways..

I have no idea what I'll do now. :(

16. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Sorry for not posting sooner, but I wanted to let you know that the genius bar WAS open on Black Friday and there was no issue with the RAm installation. It took about 20 minutes. The store was busy but not crazy.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You got it faster than I did. When they were about to replace mine they told me the only Ram left was DOA at the store and I could take the current one and come back later. Took the Apple Store here 1 week to get in new Ram (lots of costumers were on the waiting.)

18. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Thats about the biggest issue with the "genius" bar, it takes so long to get repairs done like this which are super simple. If it takes you 5 minutes to do this upgrade you've done something wrong for 4 minutes!