In-store reservation process on 9/25

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kjotwani, Sep 20, 2015.

1. kjotwani, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015

kjotwani macrumors regular

So i went to the Apple store today and inquired about how the in-store iPhone 6s pick up would work. I was told that there will 2 separate lines.. one for walk-ins.. one for reservations. And for reservations, it won't be according to the time of reservation, but on first come first service basis. I asked whether a 6pm reservation person can come in early and get the phone before a 8:30am reservation person? the store employee told if that 6pm person is standing in front of the 8:30am person.. then he will get it first.

Also, previously they had instructions to hold the phone for 3hrs if the person hasn't showed up on time.. But now they will hold the entire day.

So he told me to come late in evening when line would be lesser..

Anyone has heard something different?

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I don't have any info, but I've been curious about this as well. I have a time of 8:30am so I think I would be seen by then if I'm there, but who knows. I may just get there earlier and see what's going on.

3. bugelrex macrumors regular

That process sounds like a complete cluster F*** for the morning. Everyone will just turn up in the morning to create a giant bottleneck!

4. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I have a 1pm reservation. I will show up at 1pm.

5. oaktree macrumors regular

I have a reservation at 2:30. If my store plays that game, I'm going home without a phone. I have no interest in standing and waiting in line. When I saw Apple was giving reservations, I applauded them for finally doing it the smart way. As much as I would like my phone on Friday, it's not that important to me. But I will be livid if they used this ploy to get me to reserve a phone.

6. sjc83 macrumors 6502

sjc83

7. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

That makes absolutely no sense. Then why even bother with the time reservations if they're not going to honor that?

8. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

9. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

You're right. They can't take people out of order at the cost of making people with earlier appointments wait. So if I have a 10am reservation and a bunch of people with afternoon/evening reservations show up early now I have to wait?!?!! That's not going to work and I seriously doubt Apple would do that. I am curious to know how many people are scheduled for the same time slot though?

10. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

This is exactly why I didn't do in store reservation. Made that mistake for one of the previous iPhone launches and "reservation" line was over 4 hours, with "walk in" line 8+ hours (South Coast Plaza, CA).

I forget what model release it was (maybe 4 or 5?) but no fun at all. Hopefully Apple has refined the system this time!

11. JButtonMCL macrumors member

exactly, makes no sense. i sure hope they don't let anyone come earlier than their schedule slots to pick up their phones

12. OceanMindedBoy macrumors regular

OceanMindedBoy

It doesn't sound like something Apple would do. In my opinion, I think they will still honor the appointments but you are allowed to show up early or later if you want. For example, if your appointment is between 4pm-4.30pm and you show up at 10am they will still serve you, however, they will give priority to whoever is in line at their reservation time block.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Historically they've always held it for the entire day. That is simply good customer service. What's the point of having them reserve a phone only to have to stand in an hour (or more) long line?

I wouldn't stress about being there hours ahead of your reserve time. I also wouldn't stress about showing up later in the day. They're going to be going through the line so slowly that I wouldn't want to stand in t anyway; defeats the purpose of getting up early (staying up late) to preorder.

14. iPunish901 macrumors 6502

iPunish901

15. fanta88 macrumors 6502

I'd be shocked if apple did that with the reservations. It would infuriate a lot of people.

That being said, I tip my hat to those of you who endure the apple store on launch day. I don't have the stomach for it. Of course, my closest apple store is the one in downtown SF so it's really crazy. In addition, there's construction on the underground right in front of the store -- there's only a narrow path for pedestrians right now -- so Friday will be absolutely insane.

16. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

when i talked to my apple store they said the process is not going to be on first come first serve basis. they are going to cater to the people according to their time slots.

17. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I think whoever told you this is full of crap. There's no point in having reservation times if anybody can just go at any time. First come first serve is the complete opposite of having reservations. There isn't a chance that this is the way it's going to work.

18. memphismeal macrumors newbie

memphismeal

There has been so many conflicting stories on this. I went into my Apple Store today and a employee told me that it will be by reservation only, and that there is no reason to stand in line if you don't have a appointment because all stock has been allocated to said appointments. I know this is not true.

19. OceanMindedBoy macrumors regular

OceanMindedBoy

So many different answers. They're either badly trained or they do it on purpose to mess with our heads lol. I'm sure besides the reservation phones they have a good amount for walk-ins.

20. memphismeal macrumors newbie

memphismeal

I think they're badly trained or either don't care. Lol. The lady was like "I think the sore opens at 8". I then said thank you and walked away. She clearly knew nothing.

21. OceanMindedBoy macrumors regular

OceanMindedBoy

Are you serious? She didn't even know something as basic as what time the store the opens on release day? I would never think Apple employees were badly trained but now I do.

22. Guacamole macrumors regular

I have a 6:30 pm reservation. I’m hoping to get there around 6 after work. I just hope that a phone is indeed reserved and they don’t gave it to someone else :eek:

23. Granny_Smith macrumors member

Granny_Smith

and this was the exact reason I opted for delivery last minute as opposed to pre-order and reserve. the waiting game is kinda for suckers IMO.

24. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I doubt it. My understanding is that the last time they did appointments if you showed up early they sent you packing. Good grief, you can't even jump to the front of the line at the deli if you have a higher number. What makes you think that Apple is just going to have a free for all with people showing up hours before their appointments and people who are there on time waiting behind them. Makes no sense and it ain't gonna happen.

25. striders macrumors 6502

Who told you this? An Apple Store employee?