In the market for a new crossover

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Love, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Love, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

Love macrumors 68000

Love

This one's a little different. My dad is after a new vehicle - right now, we've a 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe LS, that is an utterly unpleasant gas pig that has endless reliability issues. We're looking to get rid of that. It's been invariably convenient to have an SUV, for towing and hauling large objects. We want to downsize to a smaller SUV/crossover.

We've got a good few in mind:

1. Ford Edge
    2. Honda CR-V
    3. Toyota RAV-4
    4. Hyundai SantaFe
    5. Volkswagen Tiguan
    6. Mazda CX-7

We'd always prefer the V6 when possible, but the turbo 4 in the Tiguan isn't bad. One of the main reasons we're leaving the Tahoe is fuel economy - it costs about $120 to fill up and that lasts a week and a half, tops, so fuel economy is a priority. Any recommendations/personal experience?

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The CR-V is 4 cylinder only. I would recommend the Equinox as it gets 22/32 MPG in 4 cylinder trim, but I don't think your family would be open to another GM product if their experience with the Tahoe was that bad reliability wise and I wouldn't recommend the 3.0 liter V6 because it is truly crap( power standpoint of view. It has no low end power which is a huge negative especially since you're looking to tow).

Out of the list, I would recommend the Ford Edge.

Curious as to what you tow as 4 cylinder vehicles do not have that great of towing ratings( hence your preference to V6's probably).....

3. Love, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

Love thread starter macrumors 68000

Love

We used to tow a large boat, but no longer - the most we'd tow is a 750 lb SeaDoo that could likely be towed by my Mom's Accord. I shouldn't have said towing - it's not exactly a priority.

We're aware the CR-V is sadly somewhat underpowered by a lacking l4. I'm partial to the Tiguan and the Edge myself. The Equinox has improved vastly, and GM's newer offerings have been impressive, however, you are correct, my Dad is not open to another GM product. My grandmother had a 2006 Lucerne, it was terrible, the Tahoe was terrible, and our dealer is terrible, and all GM dealers in the city are horribly inconvenient.

Also - we need something that's excellent in inclement weather, as we live in Calgary, where we have a lot of inclement weather. 4WD is a must. If you've any other suggestions, please, go forth.

4. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I'm a big fan of the Edge. I think the exterior looks great and the interior is very nice as well.

5. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

I drive a 2011 Toyota Venza 2.7L 4-banger, Excellent fuel economy... Rated 29-31MPG Highway and 21-25MPG City, 182HP and 182 Torque

I did a 0-60 timing in sport mode and got 7.2 seconds

Would go for the V6 AWD model, it's a beast, but a fully loaded V6 can cost $38K :(

I like the style, it looks like a Lexus RX350 and even a BMW X6 from the side with it's 19 inch wheels which give it an aggressive look;)

6. Love thread starter macrumors 68000

Love

There's another one we've been looking at that I forgot - the Venza. That 4 doesn't sound bad at all.

7. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I say the Mazda; I would say get the CX-9, but I'm sure the 7 is great as well.

I have a 2009 Mazda 6s GT(same 3.7L 273hp/270lb-ft V6 and 6 speed auto with "manual mode" as the CX-9) and love it. fwiw/fyi It's "only" my second car(My first being a highly modified(by me, bought it stock from a Volvo dealer with 40k miles) 1999 Volvo S80 T6 that put 330HP+(330 was with only with 12lbs) to the ground; if I hadn't had lowered it 1.2" and put it on magnesium rims with P-Zeros it would had been the ultimate sleeper(well, and aside from having a blow off, cold air intakes with K&N's where the fog lights used to be, and a 3" turbo-back exhaust with no cats and Borlas) which dusted "tuned" rice burners, GT mustangs/camaros, and all the BMW/Benz/Audis/Infinities/Jags at my high school(graduated in '07)).

You get a lot of car for your money, they(in addition to mine, I've driven a RX-8, last gen Mazda3 hatch, last gen MazdaSpeed3, and my dad just bought a RX-7 but how it handles doesn't really apply to new cars lol) handle amazing, FUN to drive(I could never get an accord/camery/whatever, ZoomZoom isn't just marketing propaganda), and they're actually pretty nice cars. I don't know much about the CX-7, but the turbo engine is the same as the MazdaSpeed 3/6, tuned for a SUV power band, so it's no slouch I'm sure.

8. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I would avoid the CX-7. Look, I'm a huge Mazda fan, and have driven 3 of them over the past 15 years. The CX-7, though is a bit of an oddity. It is small, and all the reviews say it is a blast to drive, but the economy of that turbo 4 is terrible. The AWD version is rated at 17/21 MPG. The CX-9 with the V6 is rated at 16/22. I love Mazda, but fuel economy has always been a problem with them. Their new line of engines (SkyActiv) will change that, but it will take a while to roll out.

The CR-V has a refreshed model coming out soon, while the RAV-4 is aging and hasn't seen an update in several years. I know the Kia version of the Santa Fe, the Sportage, offers a turbo 4 that has loads of power. I don't know if the Santa Fe offers that engine. It's the same one found in the Sonata. The turbo 4 in the Sportage hits 21/26 MPG.

I agree with Quagmire. Of that list, I would go for the Edge. They are supposed to have the Ecoboost 4 this year, so that should provide a good balance between power and economy.

9. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

If you are towing then you want a lot of torque - so why not buy a diesel?

10. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

11. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Because in the US, nothing in this class offers a diesel. Even VW doesn't offer one with the Tiguan. The bias against diesel in this country amazes me. An SUV/CUV, which many people use for towing and other work, would be a perfect fit for a diesel.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Never test drove an Edge, buy my wife has a Flex. Abundantly roomy, comfortable to ride in (and I'm a huge guy), and she averages around 22-23 mpg city.

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

CR-V. My mom got one two years ago and it's awesome. Can't beat Honda for reliability.

14. Love thread starter macrumors 68000

Love

I thought I might add in a couple details:

1) We have two Hondas already - a 2005 Accord and a 2008 Fit. They're both excellent.

2) The primary driver of the selected vehicle is about 6'5" - his headroom is a bit tight in the Tahoe as it is.

Sadly, here in Canada/the US there aren't any diesel options - frankly, it baffles me. You see a TON of TDI Golfs and Jettas and Passats on the roads here. VW would sell a ton of TDI Tiguans here.

We'll definitely have to test them all out.

15. Motliest Crue macrumors regular

If you can wait a few months the Mazda CX-5 will be out at the beginning of 2012 (Google it). It should be similar in size to the Honda and Toyota but get 30 MPG city and 40 MPG hwy.

16. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

May I direct you to something even smaller? Volvo XC70, it has lots of HP, plenty of room, and very capable of towing stuff. My father manages to get 6L/100km on the road, which is very good (but don't ask me how many miles per gallon it makes, I refuse to use the imperial system for something other than my height, weight and for cooking :p)

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Subaru Forester/Outback.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Saw a Honda Crosstour today. It's HUGE (for a Honda), and 4-wheel drive is available in the top model.

Attached Files:

19. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

It's big alright. Big time UGLY.

;)

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

A Forester/Outback would easily handle that, and certain models have the added bonus of a limited slip differential, which helps quite a bit on low-traction surfaces. Fuel economy is not class-leading but would still be a lot better than a Yukon.

The Ford Escape Hybrid is at the smaller end, but still pretty roomy and fuel economy is excellent for an SUV, officially about 30mpg.

21. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

22. Love thread starter macrumors 68000

Love

Notice I've not mentioned MPG once. I hate the imperial system with a fierce passion. The only time I use it is explaining height and weight to Americans, and cooking. :p Thanks for the suggestion - a little out of our price range.

The Forester is looking like an increasingly awesome option - better priced than others while offering quite a bit of car.

Dad actually really likes these. I'm not the biggest fan of the design, but it isn't my car. They certainly get pricey, starting at over $34k - that is for an EX-L, which isn't bad.

This seems like it might be another very good choice.

"This is veritably the biggest piece of **** I've ever driven."
    -My dad, on the Dodge Journey

"I hate this."
    -My dad, on the Dodge Avenger

"If every Chrysler vehicle that has ever existed was put into a gigantic incinerator so that it could never see the light of day again, I would be completely okay with that."
    -My dad, on Chrysler vehicles

"'the hell is that ugly hunk of ****?!"
    -My dad, on the Dodge Durango

"Why does Chrysler still exist?"
    -My dad, pondering the existence of Chrysler

"Oh hell no."
    -Dad, on the redesigned Durango.

23. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

This made me laugh. Tell your Dad he's a wise man :)

24. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Ok, then I believe the vehicles in your initial list are plan and ugly in my opinion. Especially the Ford Egde, it looks like a bubble and is way too overpriced.

25. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

No need to get offended because his father wasn't fond of your recommendations. Kind of defeats the purpose of a public forum, am I wrong? If you were really that passionate about these Dodge vehicles then maybe you would post some insightful information or a personal review of them rather than some .jpegs- and a broken one at that.

OT: Out of the original list, I'd rate them in this order (mostly aesthetics, but some other prejudices in there):

1. Ford Edge
    2. Volkswagen Tiguan
    3. Honda CR-V
    4. Toyota RAV-4
    5. Hyundai SanteFe
    6. Mazda CX-6

Personally I'm a Nissan guy, but the only vehicle sort of compatible would be the Murano- IMO too small for a 6'5" male.