In-Wall Speakers for Bathroom?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Fazzl, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

Hey guys,

I want to install some in wall speakers for my bathroom so I can listen to my podcasts each morning while I shower/get ready. Has anyone gone around to doing this? I want to install an audio input into my wall and an input for my iphone dock or something. Looking for any advise here thanks guys.

2. broncopde macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Don't you think a waterproof iPhone shower radio would be a lot better to go with?

What about something like this? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/182-4358703-9149030?a=B002IS2636

It seems something like that should work well especially for just podcasts.

3. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

yes but i want something that looks more elegant and refined.

4. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Maybe just go with an inexpensive dock w/ built-in speakers for your bathroom?

5. Truckondo macrumors member

I think in-ceiling speakers have a cleaner look for the bathroom. But with any speaker install needs an amp of some sort. I usually install these as a 2nd zone from an A/V Receiver. Depending on the size of the bathroom you can go with 2 speakers or 1 Dual Tweeter speaker.

6. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

7. jdaniel macrumors 65816

you dont need a speaker thats specialized for bathroom, what you can get is
    either any in wall, in ceiling speakers that would fit into drywall, but then that would mean those speakers need to be hooked up to some kind of system and that system needs to be able to connect to your iphone or whatever the way you want it to. if your bathroom has adequate ventilation (i.e a proper ventilation fan) it would be reasonably safe to have a normal one installed if not look for ones meant for outdoor walls probably better in case of humidity.

For normal consumer stuff check out: http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/speakers/stereo_speakers/191_speakers/index.jsp

For a bit more audiophile/hifi http://www.martinlogan.com/ and the list goes on depending on the money you want to spend.

8. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

A simple alternative...

I bought a small rechargeable bluetooth speaker/handsfree for that very purpose and it's absolutely perfect. My iPad/iPhone stay well away from water (sometimes they even sit in my office downstairs) and the speaker sits on a high shelf inside the shower - so it isn't drowned out by running water noise.

It works great. Added benefit is I can carry the speaker around the house or outside and the phone can stay safely docked inside, streaming over bluetooth. I can even answer calls on the handsfree unit.

No installation hassle and I only need to remember to recharge the speaker every so often.

9. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

the Link to the product?

10. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Here's a suggestion:listen to your podcasts after you take a shower. Have we become so wrapped up in media that we can't use the bathroom without some digital broadcast? Take a shower, do your business and listen to the news while you're eating breakfast and driving to work.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

12. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

How is this helpful? I don't see how listening to a podcast while showering/shaving is any more or less "wrapped up" than listening while eating or driving. We all have our own schedules and routines and what works for you doesn't necessarily work for others.

13. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Sure: http://www.myblueant.com/images/general/videos/bluesonic.swf

The actual device I have is badged as "Com-One" but the model number (SDL-CK811) is the same. Unfortunately it looks like it's discontinued now - which probably explains why I was able to pick it up on clearance for $30 (down from $100). That said, there are other bluetooth speakers that might fit the OP's bill.

It's a very flexible solution that easily travels out of town with me. Best $30 I've spent in a long time. Quite impressive sound for a compact speaker and no wiring/sheetrock work required.

Interesting point, but not really relevant here. Maybe start your own thread?