Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unoporfavor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2020
I am looking at the 10th Generation CPU's not the 8th generation.
Keen to know what you think of this May 2020 13" MacBook pro?!
If you think it's not enough updates, or it's a case of why fix what isn't broken - all and any opinion solicited!

Requirement:
I currently have a 2017 MBP 15".
I am very keen to replace it (but not desperate) as the butterfly keyboard has been atrocious. I don't really like the touch bar either, but I can deal with it. The footprint is too large and I find I'm not taking it outside the house because of the size. For this reason alone, I am discounting the 16" from the option. I don't typically need a lot of GPU for any work. External monitor is NOT 6k.
So I can wait for the next revision - whether it be 14" or with more updates (e.g. updating the very disappointing camera), or grab this one and replace it in a few years (I typically replace every 3-4 years).
I have a 2020 MBA in the house. I need something more powerful for my work.
Thanks for all your thoughts guys!

Martius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
Well, you need more portable yet more powerful laptop than current MBA. So it's your only choice from Apple.

In my opinion it's quite a disappointing and lazy update. I think the only reason they release this MBP was they don't want to deal with the butterfly keyboard anymore. The price difference between the higher-end 13" and 16" is really not much. I still can't believe how much of a good value the 16" is (I mean in Apple ecosystem, it's still an expensive laptop).

I would skip it.

unoporfavor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2020
Well, you need more portable yet more powerful laptop than current MBA. So it's your only choice from Apple.

In my opinion it's quite a disappointing and lazy update. I think the only reason they release this MBP was they don't want to deal with the butterfly keyboard anymore. The price difference between the higher-end 13" and 16" is really not much. I still can't believe how much of a good value the 16" is (I mean in Apple ecosystem, it's still an expensive laptop).

I would skip it.
Thanks so much for your reply - appreciated.
Would you skip it to wait for another release later this year or even early 2021? I am very keen to get off this keyboard and size of my current MBP. The 16" MBP isn't an option given the size (and it's quite expensive for my needs).
thanks again!

unoporfavor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2020
If you don't mind the smaller screen, then the new 13" MBP is definitely a good buy, especially because you said that you don't like the butterfly keyboard.
Thanks for your reply. So in your opinion, no point in waiting for an update later this year/early next? ??

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
So in your opinion, no point in waiting for an update later this year/early next?

I'd jump on this one.

Apple product cycles/laptop performance are currently driven by intel products and Intel have nothing in the pipe that is interesting for the next year or two in my opinion. Apple especially are unlikely to do a major refresh inside 12 months given everything right now is brand new.

The keyboard is worth it.

unoporfavor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2020
I'd jump on this one.

Apple product cycles/laptop performance are currently driven by intel products and Intel have nothing in the pipe that is interesting for the next year or two in my opinion. Apple especially are unlikely to do a major refresh inside 12 months given everything right now is brand new.

The keyboard is worth it.
Interesting and valuable insight there. I'm slightly concerned I'll upgrade and and then next year the new release will be a major change - 14" with WiFi 6 etc! I can depreciate it but would take a hiding on re-sell! ??
But you are right - anything for the new keyboard! ??

pollycat

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2004
New keyboard is a major selling point.
Any radical new design seems to be months away, if not into next year.
And, it's often a good idea to skip version 1 of an Apple radical redesign anyway.
So, it looks like you would get at least a good 1-2 years' use out of the current 13" before wanting to move on to something totally new.
After 1-2 years, the current 13" should still have good re-sale value, especially if Apple moves to ARM and some people still want an Intel machine for running things like Bootcamp.
Also, the current 13" represents a tried-and-tested design, should be a solid machine that gives you no problems, especially with the keyboard update.

unoporfavor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2020
And, it's often a good idea to skip version 1 of an Apple radical redesign anyway.
So, it looks like you would get at least a good 1-2 years' use out of the current 13" before wanting to move on to something totally new.
After 1-2 years, the current 13" should still have good re-sale value, especially if Apple moves to ARM and some people still want an Intel machine for running things like Bootcamp.
Also, the current 13" represents a tried-and-tested design, should be a solid machine that gives you no problems, especially with the keyboard update.
You make some great points @pollycat! 100% agree with you. So much so I'm sticking the 15" mbp on the market tonight! Cheers! ☺?

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

Pretty much my exact thought process as well, combined with the intel cpu thing I mentioned above (which tells me that a radical new design is a long time away - I'd bet no sooner than mid-2021 probably 2022 for the pro line).

Right now is a good time to buy in my opinion. The only big change coming in the next couple of years that might happen as I see it is the ARM switch (I predict a "MacBook" in 12" with ARM as the first ARM laptop) and you don't really want v1.0 of that in a Pro device because none of your Pro apps will be updated for it yet. If you're a MacBook Air or 12" MacBook customer maybe... but for pro stuff... no.

edit:
It's also my plan to be honest and why I bought the 2020 Air (rather than spending say 50% more on a current Pro). I plan to turn this one over as soon as the ARM dust settles a bit.

Last edited:

unoporfavor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2020
Pretty much my exact thought process as well, combined with the intel cpu thing I mentioned above (which tells me that a radical new design is a long time away - I'd bet no sooner than mid-2021 probably 2022 for the pro line).

Right now is a good time to buy in my opinion. The only big change coming in the next couple of years that might happen as I see it is the ARM switch (I predict a "MacBook" in 12" with ARM as the first ARM laptop) and you don't really want v1.0 of that in a Pro device because none of your Pro apps will be updated for it yet. If you're a MacBook Air or 12" MacBook customer maybe... but for pro stuff... no.

edit:
It's also my plan to be honest and why I bought the 2020 Air (rather than spending say 50% more on a current Pro). I plan to turn this one over as soon as the ARM dust settles a bit.
That's for that. When is the back to school sale usually? Might assist with the jump!
As an aside- I've been super impressed with the 2020 macbook air!

Muyfa666

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2019
Sweden
Interesting and valuable insight there. I'm slightly concerned I'll upgrade and and then next year the new release will be a major change - 14" with WiFi 6 etc! I can depreciate it but would take a hiding on re-sell! ??
But you are right - anything for the new keyboard! ??
Does 14" and AX wifi change your capability to use the MBP? I'd guess not TBH, but each to their own.

Reactions: throAU

unoporfavor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2020
Does 14" and AX wifi change your capability to use the MBP? I'd guess not TBH, but each to their own.
There's not much that would make something completely unusable. Maybe no keyboard, and no way to attach /connect one. But that's not the discussion is it. I'll assume you're trying to help by focussing on the "must haves". A 14" would give more real estate without it being impractical for portability. I mostly don't use local storage so yes faster WiFi would be a "nice to have". But I guess I can deal without them for now as I haven't had them before. Just would be nice to purchase something new for more than just keyboard and size - although both are pretty compulsive!
Cheers! ✌?✌️

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
That's for that. When is the back to school sale usually? Might assist with the jump!
As an aside- I've been super impressed with the 2020 macbook air!

Typically has been July timeframe for the back to school sale - what this year will be is anyone's guess though.

You mention the camera above - don't get your hopes up of a future model having a better camera. I can't think of a Macbook model that hasn't generated complaints about the camera. Hasn't ever bothered me, but it's a big deal to some folks I guess. Just saying you shouldn't set any expectations of future versions being an improvement.

I always suggest folks buy a new computer when they need a new computer - and if they can wait they clearly don't need a new computer. :)

That said, I think we've seen "the other shoe drop" for 2020 and it'll be months if not next year before we see any substantive changes in the 13" size. While I wouldn't spend the money on an old 8th gen CPU model, if I needed a portable powerhouse for cpu-intensive stuff, I'd go with the 10th gen MBP13 without hesitation.

Reactions: throAU

Muyfa666

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2019
Sweden
There's not much that would make something completely unusable. Maybe no keyboard, and no way to attach /connect one. But that's not the discussion is it. I'll assume you're trying to help by focussing on the "must haves". A 14" would give more real estate without it being impractical for portability. I mostly don't use local storage so yes faster WiFi would be a "nice to have". But I guess I can deal without them for now as I haven't had them before. Just would be nice to purchase something new for more than just keyboard and size - although both are pretty compulsive!
Cheers! ✌?✌

I agree - both 14" and AX would be nice to have, but as it's only speculation for now, and the 13" with AC will still work great in a future AX-environment.

Still and all, if you don't need the machine now, you might as well wait. For me, I would've kept the MBA 2015 if not for the poor resolution. 14" will not make me happier per se. ;-)

steakeyes

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2020
If you have a 2017 15'' MBP for home that's used more like a desktop, seems like you could just get a keyboard for it that you would enjoy. And you also have the 2020 MBA for mobility, so it doesn't really seem worth it to get a the 2020 13'' MBP, but if you really do need extra performance when you're on the go, I guess only you can decide if that's worth the premium.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
Worth it for me, coming from no laptop. I sold my 2018 iPad Pro because (for me) it couldn't do any image editing and iOS just doesn’t have a file system like Mac OS.

rosyapple

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2018
I always suggest folks buy a new computer when they need a new computer - and if they can wait they clearly don't need a new computer. :)

This! I generally buy a new mac when the latest MacOS is no longer supported or if my computer has become so slow that it hinders my productivity. If you already have a 2020 i5 MBA, I don't see any reason for buying a 2020 MBP since MBA is already quite powerful to begin with.

unoporfavor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2020
If you have a 2017 15'' MBP for home that's used more like a desktop, seems like you could just get a keyboard for it that you would enjoy. And you also have the 2020 MBA for mobility, so it doesn't really seem worth it to get a the 2020 13'' MBP, but if you really do need extra performance when you're on the go, I guess only you can decide if that's worth the premium.
Actually that's really good option! I am keen on a smaller computer for work though smaller. The 15" MBP is quite a big footprint and an external keyboard would increase that. it's also quite a bit of capital in a device I'm not super enamored with. But thanks for your input - worth considering! :cool:
[automerge]1588976528[/automerge]
This! I generally buy a new mac when the latest MacOS is no longer supported or if my computer has become so slow that it hinders my productivity. If you already have a 2020 i5 MBA, I don't see any reason for buying a 2020 MBP since MBA is already quite powerful to begin with.
Good point too. There's financial considerations too being a business. I usually sell my devices once they have been depreciated off the books and still hold some value in the second-hand market. Where I am based, you cannot claim depreciation in the year of disposal, so it's best to sell and acquire as close to April as possible. Personally, the butterfly keyboard hinders productivity on the MBP. The MBA doesn't take significantly longer for anything I do, but I don't always have physical access to it at home if you get my gist ?
[automerge]1588976644[/automerge]
Worth it for me, coming from no laptop. I sold my 2018 iPad Pro because (for me) it couldn't do any image editing and iOS just doesn’t have a file system like Mac OS.
Fair enough - I tried the iPad for offsite presentations and it just was more hassle. Now it's a very expensive security camera viewer! :eek::D (it's not a pro though).
What did you change too from the iPad @BoneHead001 ?
[automerge]1588976811[/automerge]
I agree - both 14" and AX would be nice to have, but as it's only speculation for now, and the 13" with AC will still work great in a future AX-environment.

Still and all, if you don't need the machine now, you might as well wait. For me, I would've kept the MBA 2015 if not for the poor resolution. 14" will not make me happier per se. ;-)
Yeah you are right on the wifi and the 14" ! thanks for your input. I would add unless something catastrophic happens to existing kit - or massive incompatibility arises with software - no one really needs to replace their equipment :cool::D Although the butterfly keyboard may be an exception! God awful thing! 2 repairs later and it still is awful to use ✌

Last edited:

unoporfavor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2020
Typically has been July timeframe for the back to school sale - what this year will be is anyone's guess though.

You mention the camera above - don't get your hopes up of a future model having a better camera. I can't think of a Macbook model that hasn't generated complaints about the camera. Hasn't ever bothered me, but it's a big deal to some folks I guess. Just saying you shouldn't set any expectations of future versions being an improvement.

That said, I think we've seen "the other shoe drop" for 2020 and it'll be months if not next year before we see any substantive changes in the 13" size. While I wouldn't spend the money on an old 8th gen CPU model, if I needed a portable powerhouse for cpu-intensive stuff, I'd go with the 10th gen MBP13 without hesitation.
Thanks mate - some good information there! You make a good point - why do people think we want to see video calls in super HD - you all mostly ugly!
There is some use-cases though where it would be handy - showing products and such in a presentation and then the 720p looks rubbish.
I guess most of the time we can all 'wait' for a new computer. But there's value-proposition to consider, depreciation, residual value, productivity, forward planning for new software compatibility and incompatibility. If you wait until you absolutely need it, and it's catastrophic, then this can literally cost money in downtime. So it's a lot more complicated than just waiting until the computer no longer works at all!
It sounds like you're saying there's no point in waiting for a new release in 2020, so just matter of waiting for a sale.
Appreciate your thoughts on it though! Thank you ☺✌

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
It sounds like you're saying there's no point in waiting for a new release in 2020, so just matter of waiting for a sale.
Appreciate your thoughts on it though! Thank you ☺✌

I would be surprised if there were any substantive changes in the 13" macbook air/pro lines between now and the end of the year.

That said, my advice is worth exactly what you've paid for it. :)

Have look here though: https://buyersguide.macrumors.com

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I’m going to keep using my 2016 13 inch MacBook Pro until the 14 inch redesign gets released.

Better off holding onto your money, then upgrade once the 14 inch gets released.

New design ?
Larger screen ?
More colorful and deeper blacks screen ?
Power efficient screen ?
Better battery life ?
Newer internals ?
Cost more money ?‍♂️?
Might never get released the way things are going. ?‍♂️??

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I’m going to keep using my 2016 13 inch MacBook Pro until the 14 inch redesign gets released.

Better off holding onto your money, then upgrade once the 14 inch gets released.

... and we remember how great that new MBP keyboard was in 2016... :p

Might be worth buying whats out now (with 10th gen cpu) and wait for the 2nd or 3rd iteration of the 14... ?

• Haha
Reactions: LFC2020

unoporfavor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2020
... and we remember how great that new MBP keyboard was in 2016... :p

Might be worth buying whats out now (with 10th gen cpu) and wait for the 2nd or 3rd iteration of the 14... ?
Haha good point!
God it's all a worry isn't it :eek:o_O
Although gen 1 of the 16" has been pretty flawless hasn't it? I know there's complaints about heat and noise with an external monitor. Are there other issues too? ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.