Incase announces MagSnap for iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ReallyBigFeet, Apr 13, 2012.

1. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

2. Jamie017 macrumors newbie

3. jason221 macrumors 6502

Isn't that how much the Apple Smart Cover costs? It doesn't even come with a back plate, either.

4. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

Looks nice, but definitely overpriced for just a back shell.

5. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Yeah, pricey. Hopefully holds up lots better than Belkin's.

Interesting, their "third position". Same thing works without the MagSnap, just orient the last fold towards the iPad instead of away. Clever on their part though.

6. ReallyBigFeet thread starter macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

My Mag Snaps for all of our iPad 2's held up remarkably well. Very sturdy, great protection.

As for the "third position," that's actually why there are two metal plates on the back of the case. The one closest to the edge is for holding the Smart Cover in the fully folded-back open position. The second is a little further towards center and is for holding the smart cover in that "third position." I've tried doing this with a non-Mag Snap and while its fine for viewing, it won't stay in that position if you try to type on it....the Smart Cover slips and the iPad falls flat.

That's what this third position is for...typing and using a stylus. It creates a rock-solid sturdy platform for that use. In fact, I think its the best stylus/note-taking/sketching position available. Its far better than the "triangle wedge" of just the Smart Cover as that lays the iPad out at such an angle that everyone can see what you are writing/drawing, plus it really lets the overhead lighting glare on the screen. I prefer to keep my notes and sketches to myself.

So yes...I do think its unique for all the other back cases out there.

7. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Nice! I've found the third position to be stable; like I said, trick is to turn the tip inward towards the hinge so the microfiber holds the cover. I can find a very solid sweet spot

Helps to have some sort of plastic in the back, I imagine. Not sure there'd be enough friction on bare aluminum.

8. apple4kim macrumors member

apple4kim

9. pbateman.as macrumors member

pbateman.as

Ordered mine last night because of the additional viewing angle, which is my preferred angle for most use.

10. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

So if the new version fits the new iPad and the iPad 2 does the iPad 2 version fit the new iPad? I'd like to check this out but I would rather have it in white than in black. Does anyone know?

11. ReallyBigFeet thread starter macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

If you check around the forums, you'll see that many owners of the iPad 3 have found older Mag Snap cases designed for the iPad 2 that do fit their units. For me personally (and just as many like me), I've tried over a dozen old and new Mag Snap cases designed for the iPad 2 that do NOT fit my iPad 3.

So ultimately....your mileage may vary. Go to Best Buy and try the iPad 2 version and see if it fits.

The fact that Incase now sells an iPad 3 version of the Mag Snap at $40, while still offering the iPad 2 version at a discounted rate would tell me that they aren't the same case. However, as of right now, the white Mag Snap is only available for the iPad 2.

Kinda confusion I know but...best answer I can offer.

12. Need4spd28 macrumors newbie

I can confirm that the version for the 2 does not fit the new iPad, unfortunately.

13. ReallyBigFeet thread starter macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Incase website states the Mag Snap for the new iPad is now sold out. Must be pretty popular!

I've not seen this available at Best Buy yet, although I've only checked BB's website. I loathe actually going into that store. Anyone else seen them available at retail yet?

14. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I picked this up on clearance at Target.

$11, it has a "fits the new iPad" sticker on it, but it is probably the last model.

I had problems getting it to fit but tried installing top first instead of side, and it fit nicely.

I'm leary about taking it out but I am happy for now.

I actually love the third smart cover stand setting.

I was waiting for the Belkin snap shield secure but it never seems to be ready.

For $11, it is a nice complement to my leather smart cover.

15. dittman macrumors member

One of the metal bars on my wife's Mag Snap came off. Has that happened to anyone else?

16. ReallyBigFeet thread starter macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

^^ Never happened to me and we have (had) 8 different MagSnap units on our iPad 2 fleet this past year.

Can you just super-glue it back on perhaps? Or maybe send a note to Incase...I'm sure they'd replace.

17. dittman macrumors member

I haven't gotten around to contacting Incase. I've been too busy the past week. I'll probably send them an email later today.

18. anthrovisual macrumors regular

Pictures to compare 3 positions?

I was wondering if someone with this case (or their own improvised method) can post pictures to compare the 3rd position with the other positions (mainly the "normal" typing position?

19. ReallyBigFeet thread starter macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I broke down and dragged myself into BB today. They had stacks of the old Mag Snaps for the iPad2 in both black and white. I tried three of them on my iPad 3 and none fit. I really can't figure out why several posters claim these fit, they just don't.

Then, as I was about to leave, a blue shirt drone came over with a cart and started stocking shelves. They had the Mag Snap for the new iPad! I grabbed one and tried it on my iPad 3 and it fits like a glove!

I'm happy to have my Mag Snap + SmartCover combo back!

20. babubulala macrumors newbie

How's the thickness of the incase magnet snap case? I heard it is quite thick... I am using the ZUM SC Ultimate right now, and love how its really thin. Just want to know how much thicker it is compare to the ZUM SC Ultimate :)

21. ReallyBigFeet thread starter macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Its a back case. Not thick at all. Feels like the old Mag Snap which was perfect protection for my small fleet of iPads in the business. The polycarb used isn't brittle, has that nice grippy/tactile feel to it, the back metal strips hold the Smart Cover open if folded all the way back (for reading) or in that special typing/note-taking position (my fave angle for note-taking).

I wanted another Mag Snap. This is an exact replica of their iPad 2 version just made specifically for the iPad 3. Perfect fit.

22. Zimmy68, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012

Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Mine didn't fit if I installed it lengthwise.
    It snapped right in when I did the top first, then bottom.

Was there new packaging for it?
    Also, how much was Best Buy selling it for?

Like I mentioned, my box looked like the old one but had a sticker that said for iPad2 and the new iPad.

I only paid ~ $12 so I may pick up a white iPad "3" one.
    I am liking it so far.
    Too bad Belkin dragged their feet so long on their mag case, they lost a sale.

23. ReallyBigFeet, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012

ReallyBigFeet thread starter macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

The packaging is completely different for the iPad 3 model. The older Mag Snap 2's had no sticker on the packaging saying anything about fitting the iPad 3. They had maybe 20 each of white/black for the iPad 2 and 20 black for the iPad 3, all marked down as Clearance @ $12. Incase only offers the MagSnap 3 case in black thus far. If yours had a sticker on it saying it worked on the iPad 3 (the pic below isn't as sticker...it is part of the packaging), it was likely placed there by a blue-shirt at BB. Even Incase's official website placed the MagSnap 2 in the "does not fit" classification when they announced which ones did and didn't on launch day. So all I can figure is there was a misshapen batch of them out there as we all know the size/shape/dimensions of the new IPad are identical.

It was $40, super pricey for what it is, but having had Belkin's, Zum's and a host of other back cases that cracked and failed in the field with my iPad 2's, the Incase was the only one that held up. I don't mind paying that kind of coin for something I'm only going to have to buy once. I already have several Smart Covers from the old fleet so no issues there. I'll hang onto my Targus Vuscape just in case I need it again but I was never happy with the writing angle that case provided.

I tried fitting it into an iPad 2 MagSnap case in the store top first, then bottom and it would just pop right back off. Tried it with 2 whites and a 1 black. All the same, no matter what I did (top first, left first, right first, one corner first, with green eggs and ham, in a boat, on a moat, etc.), it would pop right back off.

The Mag Snap 3 fits exactly on my iPad 3 the way the Mag Snap 2 did on my iPad 2. The case grips the very edge of the silver past the bezel, evenly and cleanly all down the right side and at the upper and lower left corners.

Here's what the new packaging looks like.

Attached Files:

24. xStatiCa macrumors regular

Looks interesting but why do companies not provide full protection at the top and bottom of the case too? The additional viewing angle might be a good selling point. I am interested how well that work. I find myself not liking the plain black plastic look to cases though.

I still think the Tucano Magico is the winner for the ipad 2 and 3 if you want full protection. The Magico has a leather type look to it if you get that color too. No additional viewing angle though unlike the case in this topic.

25. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Well, I picked this up while getting my black leather smart cover and I think I'll be returning this case. The magnets on the back and the "extra" viewing angle are cool but this back-only case isn't worth the $40 IMO. I ordered it I-Blason back case and think I'll just stick with that one for my iPad. The top and bottom of the case not having any protection is not really for me. And, to be super anal, I don't like the cutout for the speaker either :p