Incase finally out with Hard Cases for Aluminum Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Andrew K., Feb 3, 2009.

1. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Incase has FINALLY come out with the form fitted hard shell cases for the new ( Since October ) Macbooks, What took so long incase???They look just like the Speck cases.

click here

[​IMG]

2. Gleadr macrumors member

Gleadr

i believe that they have to put a mold on the mac and they want everything to be the right size because if it isn't it would scratch the macbook while it's on it or on removal or when your puting it down, or maybe incase is just cool like that.:eek:

3. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

My question is: Why ruin such a great design (aka the MacBook) with such a hideous case? I had one from Speck on my WhiteBook and I really regret buying it.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

It's all personal preference really. Besides, they do offer them in some nifty colours (and they will be bringing out more in the future most likely). I think these cases look much better than previous gen cases simply due to the Alu MacBook's sleek design. Plus the added protection appeals to a lot of people who are more mobile with their machines. I wouldn't be against getting one of them if I felt my MB needed the extra protection, but again it's my own preference.

5. om3ga785 macrumors member

The answer to your question: Protecting your expensive investment from scratches and dings.

Do you really want to scratch and ding your $1600 laptop vs putting on a hard shell case to protect it? i think the second choice speaks for it self. ;)

i have cases of all sorts for most of my devices including my iPod classic.

Besides, i like the see through design and semi-black look to it. and it's protecting my valuable macbook from scratches. i rather have my macbook covered than have ANY scratches on the unibody. PERIOD!

Oh and InCase totally has copied Speck's design with the exception of the sleep light being cut out on the incase one.

6. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I hated the Speck one with a passion. Bought it and then sold it.

7. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

Is it really protection, though? It probably raises the internal temperature of the MacBook, thus shortening the laptop's lifespan.

There are many negatives to the aluminum design (worst WiFi on the market, dents, etc.), but the one positive advantage about aluminum is that it helps with heat dissipation. When someone puts a case on Apple's aluminum laptops, it negates this positive advantage.

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Thats because you bought a speck, everyone knows everything about them is cheap and disgusting, from the look, feel to the finish. Incase are far far superior and usually very good, they feel nice with a satin finish, and dont scratch your computer underneath. Check out youtube for random peoples reviews if you like.

9. om3ga785 macrumors member

The speck see thru satin case feels nice. i wasn't referring to the hard shell first design. i don't like them.

And skorpin is exactly right, it's all a matter of preference.

10. matasar macrumors newbie

I'm guessing hardcase users are the same type of people that put plastic on their couches to keep them looking new. Who cares if the MB doesn't have a scratch on it, if you're stuck looking at an ugly hardcase instead of the computer itself?

11. skorpien macrumors 68020

It's nothing like putting plastic on your couch. Notebooks, by design, are meant to be taken out into the world and used. This presents a danger to the outer casing if one isn't careful. Plus the amount that people spend on their machines, some want to protect that investment. Some people may even think that the cases don't look that great, but they still use them for the protection. And just because you find the case unattractive, that does not mean others will too. The Incase product has some very nice colours in the product line. Compare it to the Speck colours and you'll see that it's a much more vibrant variety. Personally, I don't believe that the cases add that much more bulk or detract from the design at all. They stay as close as possible to the original shape of the MacBook. It's not like you're placing an Otterbox on the computer. Once again, I will state that it's personal preference. If you don't like it, just don't get it for your machine, but please be civil and refrain from making condescending comments against those that do not agree with your position.

12. Andrew K. thread starter macrumors 65816

I got a black Speck because the top case of the Aluminum ( with the logo ) is not so strong as the rest of the body, it bends in and dents easily, I already got a few, so I decided to get the Speck.

13. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

TBH it's not that great.
    AppleSacs are better.

14. Andrew K. thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes they are cool and stylish but they provide very little shock protection which is how I got my dent on the top case of my macbook :( concluding in why I got the speck plus an incase sleeve.

Oh and I laughed my ass of at your location! :D

"Location: Australia (Yes I DO ride my kangaroo down the street.)"

15. richorlin macrumors regular

RE: Incase finally out with Hard Cases for Aluminum Macbook

I hope they're a better design than the case they made for the prvious gen Macbook/Macbook Pro. You couldn't open up the lid all the way. I bought one and had to return it.

I bought a new unibody Macbook and got the new Speck case for it. Perfect!

16. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

I use an AppleSac as well, I don't see the point in covering up the nice aluminum body.

17. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

This argument could go on and on... the underpinning fact is purely on personal preference. If your the sort of person who is likely to, or has previously, dropped a laptop - you are more inclined to being careful thus purchasing a hard/soft touch case (such as the Speck or Incase).

If you just want to carry it from A to B and don't want the added weight that goes along with the Speck/Incase - then a normal sleeve will do.

18. QWIK83 macrumors newbie

QWIK83

Jw if you noticed the port on the back of unibody right under the screen hinge? Thats where I always feel the hot air blowing from, the body never get much over room temp unless I have my hands on the palm rest. If youd like, I am going to buy a incase hardcase and have a laser temp reader and can do a test to prove it isn't that bad w/ temp. Plus plastic doesn't insulate very well.

19. yousoldtheworld macrumors member

yousoldtheworld

Yeah, it really is all preference.

I have had cases before (for other machines) and it always bothers me, so I am an Applesac (put in a padded backpack when transporting) person.

20. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Let me know how you like the incase one. I have the speck one and it's not bad and saved my Macbook already from getting a dent, well worth it!

21. QWIK83 macrumors newbie

QWIK83

Will do, I just have to wait for my state income tax return, I spent the fed on this new unibody lol.

22. budkid macrumors regular

at least they came out with different colors.

23. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I don't want my MacBook to overheat

Anyone own the new InCase and can tell me if the venting is better than the new Speck See thru Satin?

24. ghostwriter macrumors regular

ghostwriter

I bought a new clear inCase. Fits well and venting seems to be great as well. Really like the look and the extra layer of protection. I resell my computers every 2 years. Protecting the case now ensures that I'll get the highest price possible when its time to resell.

25. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Bought it!!

Saw the new InCase Hardshell at the Apple Store. I liked it so much better than the Speck... I bought it. The Speck weighs 14.2 ounces - the InCase, 12.4 ounces. The Speck Satin is rubbery on the outside but still is hard brittlely plastic on the inside - the InCase is softer on the inside to match the outside. The Speck has a 2.25" square of narrow vent slots on the bottom on one side - the InCase has vent holes all across the bottom.

All in all, the InCase is more malleable, less brittle feeling, lighter weight and better vented. Unlike the previous generations this case does not restrict the display tilting all the way back. I think it's just a better case.

One other note, when I removed my red Speck case from my MacBook, I had several red scuff marks. They came off, but I didn't like that at all. I only had it a few weeks, so I wonder after a year or so if the hard brittlely case would eventually scratch up my MB. Who knows.