Incase slider scratched my new 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jabingla2810, Nov 5, 2009.

1. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Had a black 32GB 3GS for a few days now... loving it

I was determined not to get a case, but im going out at the weekend, and was scared of dropping my phone.

I caved in and got the incase slider (black).

I wiped the back of the phone, and the inside of the case, and put it on.... it felt nice and tight.

I came to take it off, the top half came off first, not sure if this is right, and I looked at the back of the phone where there is now a 10mm hairline scratch.

It stands out a bit because of the black case.

Probably nothing I can do about it

But is there anything out there that covers such scratches to make it look like new again?

No big deal I guess... but doesnt leave me with a lot of confidence with this case :(

2. nipponfan macrumors regular

I noticed the back of the iPhone is very scratch-sensitive, especially the "logo". But thankfully it's not as bad as the iPod touch. I got me a clip-on plastic case, not a big fan of the slider.

3. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Exactly the reason I don't use a case at all anymore. The only scratches I had in my last phone, were from an incase slider as well. Two of them, on the back, right where the bottom half slides on and off.

I have a replacement phone now, due to ring\vibrate switch falling off, and have not used a case in 6 months. No scratches at all. Frustrating eh? I did find that car wax was helpful in "minimizing" the scratches that were on the black portion of the phone, but your mileage may vary.

4. carbon337 macrumors newbie

I have had the same experience using the Griffin Elan Form Graphite.

The back of my 3gs back is now showing a lot of scratches - Im starting to think there is no point using it.

5. jabingla2810 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeha, really frustrating

I supose over the 18 month contract it was bound to get a cuple of scratches... but the first one is the worst!

Anyhow... I cant for the life of me get the bottom bit of the case off now...

Ive read around and apparently incase will send you another if its too tight

I cant seem to find the UK number for incase support....

I might just phone apple, because I bought it of the website

6. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Just google Incase slider scratched my iPhone. You'll find plenty of people with the same issue. It also happens to other slider cases, not just incase.

7. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

You can email incase, but their response times aren't great.

8. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

Yes, they all do as well as the speck case for macbooks.

9. jabingla2810 thread starter macrumors 68020

Just got off the phone to Apple

They are replacing it

I'll let you know if the new one fits any better

Im not being crazy here... but the bottom should definatly come off pretty easy right?

Well definatly easier that the top bit anyway? :confused:

10. SuperKat macrumors regular

Slider Probs

I stopped using my slider for a bit. Chrome is scraped up and it was super hard to get off at first, but it's eased up a bit after some use.
    Went back to a basic back covering by SGP.

11. nyisles84 macrumors regular

Incase is famous for that. try the Seidio Innocase. It's the same thickness i believe, has a rubberized exterior and the inside is lined with felt to avoid scratches. Prob the best case I have ever used.

12. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

I would rather have a scratch then a cracked screen from a drop....I dropped mine once with out my slider and ended up spending $200 for a replacement....dropped twice with the slider from higher drops and I saved $200 twice...some people might have $200 to blow...idunno

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

Yep

1+ great cases.IMO I have black, blue and red or maroon, FYI you can find them on eBay about $12 a case i found all three for $24 :D

14. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

I just have a foam sock type case that you slide in to and out each time you need to use it. Keeps the look of the iPhone but protects it when you're not using it.

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

It will not likely be your last scratch nor the worst. If you analyze your car with the same level of scrutiny, you will find much bigger scratches.

16. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Read any post about the Incase Slider on this forum and you will see scratched bezels as a COMMON problem.

However, if you think about it, if you are covering the phone with the case, you won't see the scratches. If you leave the phone naked, you can get scratches. Face it, your phone will show wear and tear unless you leave it unused in the original box. It's a tool, not a museum specimen!

17. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Exactly, LOL. I actually wonder why I ever kept any of my previous phones in a case, when in the end, I throw them out, looking brand new from being in the case, and replace them with an upgrade! :D

18. kicko macrumors 65816

the difference is you can still sell your iphone for a pretty penny and basically have itself pay for the new upgrade. Your old nokia...well... is just old.

Yes I agree everyone is way to anal about the condition of their phones in general. I like to keep my stuff as nice as possible but somehow, someway i'll end up with a scratch somewhere. You can always brush the chrome and fix the bezel scratches, plus there is a scratch remover for the back of the iphone too.

I just want to protect my phone and be happy, not drive myself crazy trying to keep it "mint". That said, I love my slider cases.

19. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

this is why I returned my incase slider. it also picked up a lot of dirt that gets in through the lens opening. I took it off last night and the dirt was actually stuck on the phone. I had to add some pressure to take it off. Not to mention it does scratch the chrome bezel. I picked up a SENA slimflit pouch last night and I love it.

20. jaxxx macrumors newbie

replacing the phone for what??? scratches??

21. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I think they are replacing the slider..

22. lollicup macrumors regular

Perfectly said

You guys are pretty anal

a 10mm scratch is not going to reduce the value of the phone

Why do you guys need to keep the phone in perfect condition ?

cases are best if you want to avoid accidental drops

skins ( bse/is/bg) are best if you want to avoid scratches

If you want good dual protection go with a skin + a silicone case

in the end though you are spending a lot of money ( $50 + ) when the resale of your device is not going to be affected that much.

23. SooneratND macrumors regular

Seidio Innocase II

Basically an InCase slider, but has a felt lining on the back to prevent just this type of problem.

24. samven582 macrumors 6502a

Seidio Innocase II is just as bad

25. kicko macrumors 65816

All cases in one way shape or another have the possibilty of scratching your phone.

Weight the risk of dropping vs. a 10cm hair line scratch, that you have to tilt just the right way to see.