incase slider users! does your phone scratched up?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by V4705, Jul 10, 2009.

1. V4705 macrumors 6502

i see many complaints, but i'm interesting to see what are the odds.

please answer only if you got INCASE slider and not just a slider.

thanks!

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I have the incase slider. I'va had it since the 4th of July. Its a matte black one. I have not seen any scratches on my 3Gs before replacement, or on this one. Its a snug and is by far the greatest case I've ever had for my iPhone. I use it with no screen protector, and in my eyes, its a winning combination.

Although, Buyer Beware, I may have gotten lucky. I've heard that some people get a good case, and some get horrific scratches.

I keep my phone in my pocket and on my desk all day, and I've seen no peeling of my matte case or scratching of my phone or screen. But this is my situation. If you buy the slider, you may still be at risk for a scratched back.

Try it out and see. If you dont like the fit, return it in 30 days and try another case.

3. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

I've had 3 Sliders on 3 iPhones. All phones have ended up with scratched bezels, especially on the bottom, below the Home button. None have had their backs scratched. I don't use the Slider now, because the one I had on my 3G creaks and groans on the 3GS; the fit isn't QUITE right. I loved the Slider and will probably try another one later on, but my advice would be to plan on keeping it on the phone 4ever, unless you don't mind a scratched bezel if you decide to "go naked" later on.

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

all cases will eventually scratch your phone.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Bezel scratching, but I've sorta just come to concede to that is going to happen with any case.

6. sneeks macrumors 6502a

Very true, so much as look at the bezel and it scratches.

7. V4705 thread starter macrumors 6502

not true.

i know the candyshell will not scratch any part of the iphone.
    and thats only one example because this is what i'm using right now.
    i'm sure there are many more good cases.

8. nfl46 macrumors 603

It scratched my bezel up on my 3G. I had it on my 3GS for 4 days, and I returned it. I'm going caseless.

9. daonesteven macrumors 6502

heed my words, it obviously won't happen to everyone or maybe to most, but it happened to me, luckily that 3g I was able to return to the genius bar due to technical issues.

I'm very OCD about keeping my 3g and case dust/debris/fingerprint free before I put it in. After I had it on for a week, I saw a lot of dust accumulation on the exposed charging area, and so basically something basically got caught behind the case and the phone and dragged across the back of my phone as I slid the top part off, causing a 3 inch scratch that ran across my entire apple logo as well. I was so pissed off and ended up returning the case. I'm pretty sure I was just unlucky as hell, but it can happen to anyone else too.

10. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I figure, the bezel will scratch in a case or without, but the Slider hasn't scratched mine yet, so I'm keeping it on. If I drop my iPhone, I'd rather it be in a case.

11. krnboy503 macrumors regular

scratched the body

my incase slider made a hairline scratch all the way in the middle from top to bottom. good thing my iphone 3gs is a white one so you can barely see it. i now have an invisible shield full body and you cant tell anymore :)

12. Chizzled macrumors member

I had a 3G iphone I was using until I could exchange it for a 3GS and I kept it enclosed in an Incase Slider. I was super careful with it because if there were any noticeable scratches, AT&T would not let me return it. I had the 3G in the case for about 1 week and when I went to remove it, I could hear it grinding on something caught between it and the case. I had a hairline scratch about 1/2" long running along the back. Luckily, it was barely noticeable and AT&T exchanged my phone.

I had gone to the beach and I think a speck of sand in my pocket got inside the case.

Even though I scratched my phone a tiny bit, I still keep my 3GS in an incase slider. I have taken it out of the case twice now and have yet to find one scratch; although the bezel at the very bottom had a couple nicks on it. I think if you are careful, you will be alright, but nothing will keep it perfect forever. I have a piece of mind knowing that my phone is in an incase slider, and the gunmetal looks super clean.

Hope this helps!

13. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I was removing the slider from my 3G and a bit of plastic overlay dug an inch long groove into the back of my phone. Haven't touched and Incase Slider since, and it was my favorite case on the original phone.

14. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

I have no sympathy for people who scratch there back with the slider. It's really easy to check for extra plastic or rough flash edges to not have that happen.

I have 3 sliders and none have scratched the back casing ;)

15. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

I just bought a red bamboo Incase slider for my 3GS since I had a close call a bit ago to almost dropping my iPhone on a black top :)

I'll post up in a week and see if it has any scratches on it. This case is 40% bamboo and 60% polymer so it isn't as hard as the full plastic ones :)

16. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

nice take some pics, if you can, of the red one. havent seen it, just the black pepper one ive seen

17. daonesteven macrumors 6502

doesn't the bamboo slider smell kinda funky? I thought the idea was cool so when I looked at one at the apple store, for some reason they all emitted some interesting smell, i can't really name it but it was a bit nauseating.

18. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

LOL, I like how you assume we are incompetent. :rolleyes:

The little rubbery strip in the back of the case on mine came off while I was removing it, scratching the heck out of the back in the process from a little piece of plastic that was exposed. Guess I should have checked that too, huh? ;)

19. daonesteven macrumors 6502

ditto, i'm pretty sure I am a lot more OCD than most people about constantly wiping off my phone and inside of my slider to absolute perfection with no dirt/smudge/fingerprints before I put them together, and somehow I ended up with a 3 inch scar across my 3g. I have no idea how it happened but it did and it definitely didn't have anything to do with my incompetency.

It's probably just one of those freak things that can happen but not often so those who haven't experienced it have no idea how it is even fathomable. That always happens in life :)

20. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

^You sound incompetent.^

I have the incase, and it doesn't scratch up the back as much as it tears up the bezel. When I first got it, it stayed really tight and didn't slide apart much. Now, I'll pull it out of my pocket and it will slide apart a little bit. Didn't think it was doing any damage until I took it out and looked closer and the bezel looks awful. Best Buy sells a slider case where the two pieces lock together. Seems like the best case to me for the scratching issues.

21. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

no i sound like i have common sense, sorry.

the rubber rails just came up huh? :rolleyes:

i must be the only one getting good sliders and have no scratches since the 3G model

22. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I just tried taking the Incase Slider off my 3GS, and I can't?? This thing is glued on to here WTF?

23. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Bezel Scratches - Yes!

I used a matte black incase slider on my 3G for approximately six months. Very solid case, however it did scratch the bezel quite a bit and kind of pi$$ed me off. The body of the phone was pristine however. It did save the phone from at least one fall to a hardwood floor with zero damage to phone or case.

24. asuandy macrumors member

asuandy

I have had this happen to me and it's frustrating. Take a pencil with a nice clean eraser on it and push against the headphone jack while you hold the slider on the sides to alleviate pressure. That should get your iPhone out :)

25. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I never said you sounded like anything. Might wanna check who you are quoting.