Inception (*spoilers*)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by longball11, May 5, 2010.

1. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

This movie features the best including Leonardo DiCaprio and director from The Dark Knight, Christopher Nolan. It hits theaters everywhere starting July 16, 2010.
    While I wish this movie would be best at the box office this summer, I don't think it will with the competition from Iron Man 2, Robin Hood and many others. I believe it will be mind boggling and be the best rated movie of the summer.
    One thing, what is this movie going to be about? Looks incredibly weird and confusing. I read the description of what the movie may be about in Yahoo! Movies but it just looks much deeper than the given description.

2. ethical macrumors 68000

It's two months after Iron Man 2 and Robin Hood, so I don't think they will pose much of a threat for the specific weekend box office sales.

It certainly looks very weird, but I like Leonardo Dicaprio so I'll probably go watch it.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Robin Hood is a remake that should have never been done. Iron Man will be 2.5 months old by the time the movie comes out. I see no reason for concern.

4. longball11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

longball11

Well, you got Toy Story 3, Twilight (sigh), The Last Airbender (m.night), Predators all coming just before that.
    I forgot about Toy Story 3, I think that may get better box office than iron man 2. I'm 21 and going to see it without a doubt.

Inception supposed to be a delusional view of life or something? Seeing all these builings roll up towards people awfully nightmare-ish.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Kind of reminds me of "Dark City" without the men dressed in black.

6. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Never thought of that, but you are spot on! :eek: :D

7. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I can't decide which movie to see next weekend.

[​IMG]

8. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Nolan gave a brief interview at the premier saying it's something to do with seeing the world through someone else's subconscious. Maybe not that exactly, but something to that effect. Sounds and looks to be the best of the year - I think most people have enough confidence in Nolan by now that you can trust him to tackle a complex idea and not make a mess of it.

9. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

But The Sorcerer's Apprentice has Nicholas Cage.

;)

10. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

I say inception. Sorcerers apprentice looks tacky.

11. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I agree. My "indecision" was more of a joke. I've been waiting impatiently for Inception since the first clips came out a year ago. I just thought the Tomatometer contrast between next week's releases was too ripe (forgive the pun) to not take notice.

I won't be able to see Inception opening night, but hope to the next day. Someone commented above that it is reminiscent of Dark City. I agree. Because it deals with dream intrusion (in the trailer - I'm not giving anything away), it also reminds me of a movie I loved when I was a kid - Dreamscape.

12. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Saw it tonight, all I can say is wow! I highly recommend seeing this film, fantastic work by Nolan!

13. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Excellent. Very excited about seeing it. I have an unhealthy affinity for The Dark Knight, and need something new.

14. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Oh jesus that was pretty rotten :rolleyes:

I'm excited for inception since the first trailers, I'm excited to hear anyones reviews.

15. jsf8x macrumors 6502

jsf8x

I'm pumped for this movie, looks awesome and I can't wait

16. Kimba macrumors member

Kimba

Thanks for the update! Memento is one of my all-time favorite movies so I'm really looking forward to seeing Inception. In fact, I'm planning to see it at a midnight showing tonight.:D

17. walangij macrumors 6502

Just got back from it. Wow. An amazing movie experience. Nolan did an excellent job, as did all the actors. I haven't had this kind of movie going experience in a long time. Some teenagers were complaining afterwords about it, but they are the kind of kids who think that Transformers 2 was the best movie of last year.

18. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

I've been wanting to see this for a few weeks now, it looks like it has a really interesting story and badass visuals. I just hope it won't be as big of a disappointment as Avatar was.

19. macfan881 macrumors 68020

Took my younger Sis to see Sorcers Aprentance wasnt that bad not as epic or anything But if you liked National Treasure etc you will enjoy this I hope to catch Inception thursday possibly

20. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

The ending is a nice cliffhanger, one that has everyone sigh a collective frustrated "Aww," but I think I figured out what happens afterward. :p

I'm not sure if I enjoyed it per se. I thought it was extremely clever, intricate and deep, but despite the ending of the movie being drawn out deliberately, it still felt sort of rushed for me. Toward the end I also wished that there was more unique action and less traditional shooting bits. The moments of the movie where physics and natural laws break down were the most unique and captivating. Seeing the actors operate in such conditions was the best part, I think. More of that would make it feel like a more complete movie; but then it would've been three hours long! :p

Still, it's something that everyone needs to see; it's a smart movie for the masses, finally! My favourite makes-you-think movie since Moon.

21. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Dazzling movie. Nolan takes the classic heist framework and somehow infuses it with an elaborate, layered commentary on the nature of fantasy and consciousness. It's a film that appears, and sometimes feels, so familiar, yet is always toying with fascinating and frightening ideas. It's sort of a hybrid between the sort of dorky hard sci-fi mind trips that only the terminally nerdy among us truly embrace and a best-of-breed summer blockbuster.

22. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Saw it twice in the last 24 hours (midnight showing plus 7:30 showing with the "gang") and this is by far one of the most amazing films I've seen in years. The practical effects, the multi-layered story, the characters, the concepts, this is everything the Matrix's philosophical/imaginative storyline should have been, but done SO much better and cleaner. LOVE the cliff hanger at the end. Most people in the theater stuck around and talked about it for 10 minutes. My friends and I spent at least an hour trying to figure out the entire puzzle. It's a heist film, a romance, an action thriller, and a sci fi all rolled into a beautifully crafted package. Incredibly entertaining!

23. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Spoilers in white below. I want to discuss the convoluted plot! Highlight to read!

I have two theories about the movie that are bugging me. Part of me thinks that Cobb has been dreaming ever since he met Yusuf. The "strong sedative" he was given when they first met; he woke out of it too quickly. He washes his face in the bathroom, and proceeds to spin the top. But Saito interrupts, and he knocks it over. We never see if the top stops or continues to spin. This implies, perhaps, that the top never stops spinning and in fact Cobb is in a 1st level dreamworld. The rest of the movie is built underneath this dreamworld. As a result, when Saito shoots Leo in the end, it just sends him deeper into limbo. He awakens on the plane, but it is merely another layer of his imagination, and upon seeing the face of his children, he accepts the world, and the top (the next time we see it spin at the end credits) presumably never stops.

However, if Cobb has been dreaming since he met Yusuf and was placed underneath the strong sedative, then the entire concept of falling into limbo upon being killed (if under said strong sedative) is a figment of Cobb's imagination. It is something he has created, for whatever reason, that does not actually exist. If it doesn't exist, however, then Saito should never have been in Cobb's limbo world. He should have awoken upon dying from his gunshot wound. Even if he were in the same world, Cobb would wake up to the snow world upon being shot by Saito; the explosion wakes him up to the hotel, the elevator wakes him up to the van, and drowning in the van wakes him up to the airplane. He is back in the real world.

Thoughts?

24. walangij macrumors 6502

discussing plot in white, don't highlight!

That's an excellent observation cleanup. I am definitely going to watch it again, this time more closely just to focus on details rather than the movie going experience. I think both are open to interpretation. But then again, Yusuf said that it would be a good starting point for a sedative. And correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it show Yusuf tinkering with the formula later too? Which could all be a dream still.

25. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Highlight to reveal. Spoilers.

Thanks! I just realised though, that Saito WOULD fall into Cobb's limbo. At that point anything is technically possible. Cobb is the only one who was hooked up to Yusuf's machine while under the sedative; nobody else was in it. If he's dreaming, then EVERYTHING we see in the movie from that point on is a projection. Nobody is hooked up to the same dreamworld. It's all in Cobb's head.

However, it's a bit of a cop out to just say oh, the entire movie was just Cobb's imagination, and that the Inception job hasn't even taken place yet. Seems like a bit of a cheap way to explain some of the plot holes (ie. why doesn't Fischer recognise anyone on the plane when he awakes? Why is there gravity in the mountains? Etc. Those may be signs that it all in fact is a dream, but most of me wants to believe that it's not so simple. I want to think that the top falls at the end of the movie. There are also several more interpretations involving Moll. She has to play a bigger role in it. Some people are saying that in attempting to incept Moll, Cobb merely convinced himself that his dreamworld was in fact his real world. Moll's supposed suicide in fact woke her up. She is not dead, but Cobb is stuck in perpetual limbo. The audience never saw the real world. Other interpretations also incorporate the beginning of the movie (where the team is trying to extract from Saito), which is often overlooked.

GAH, this damn movie. I'll be seeing it again soon hopefully! :p