'Incidents' spark Tube evacuation


iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
9,025
1
Reuters reporting nail bomb at Warren St Tube, and incident on bus in East End...

:(
 

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
1,027
0
London, UK.
i've heard that they were 'dummy explosions' in 3 tube stations..i.e. just the detonators (sp?).

reports also of a nail bomb at warren st tube and an explosion on a bus in east london [hackney]

errm..i'm not sure why they've evacuated the oval though?
 

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
2,529
0
Londinium
Looks like they got to Warren Street before anything happened though, as they'd already evacuated due to a suspect package. And I hope the rest were all det-duds. Means it'll be easier to nab the idiots behind it.
This seems to be less organised than two weeks ago - maybe a group of people hoping to do the same, but without the obvious support the last four had?
No reports of casulties so far, lets hope it stays that way.....
 

geese

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
525
0
London, UK
Am at goodge street. Warren street blocked off. Have seen some paramedic vehicles fly pass but no ambulances. Central Line and other lines are still working.

I'm hoping that this a mountain out of a molehill this time.
 

fitinferno

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
371
0
London, UK
asif786 said:
i've heard that they were 'dummy explosions' in 3 tube stations..i.e. just the detonators (sp?).

reports also of a nail bomb at warren st tube and an explosion on a bus in east london [hackney]

errm..i'm not sure why they've evacuated the oval though?
There was a small bang at Oval and some people saw a man running away.

This is so crazy...I have friends who were very scared after what happened a fortnight ago...in fact, one got so scared that she got off three stops earlier and called a friend to come help her get home.

I can only imagine how much she's going to want to travel after this. It is hard sometimes to try to convince people that the tube and buses are perfectly safe.
 

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
1,027
0
London, UK.
Applespider said:
Let's wait and see what's actually happening before we worry too much. We've got one group in the office who are bemoaning the end of civilisation...
indeed, it doesn't seem to be too big..although it may not be over yet.

i wish i was sleeping atm. that way i could just wake up in 5 hours and get accurate info as opposed to tidbits..heh
 

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
1,027
0
London, UK.
fitinferno said:
I can only imagine how much she's going to want to travel after this. It is hard sometimes to try to convince people that the tube and buses are perfectly safe.
that' very true. i'm normally undeterred by these sorts of things..you have to get on with things - but after the second lot of 'incidents' even i think i'll be staying away for a few days..or maybe just every other thursday.. :/

mm..how melodramatic
 

fitinferno

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
371
0
London, UK
asif786 said:
that' very true. i'm normally undeterred by these sorts of things..you have to get on with things - but after the second lot of 'incidents' even i think i'll be staying away for a few days..or maybe just every other thursday.. :/

mm..how melodramatic
Yeah I don't blame you.

I'm very undeterred and will ride whenever I please...but I still have the whole "I can't afford the tube" issue so I'm stuck on the buses. And the route 188 (my main bus) is so bad as it is...no one would be able to do anything bad to it because the bus NEVER comes...lol
 

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
2,529
0
Londinium
Seems to be all duds so far. Which makes me think could it be extremists sowing seeds of paranoia, or just morons thinking this would be a laugh?

I'm lucky as I can walk to work in 10min (I work at a major hospital in South London) so I'll never have to worry about the commute to work. Still, I think my travel patterns have changed since 2 Thursdays ago... I find myself avoiding the first 3 carridges of any tube now...... something I'm going to stop doing.
 

Applespider

macrumors G4
Piarco75 said:
I find myself avoiding the first 3 carridges of any tube now...... something I'm going to stop doing.
Given that the experts said in the papers that the bombers made a mistake going for the first/last carriages of the Tubes and should have gone for the middle of the train for maximum effect, I've decided just to get on wherever I'm planning on getting off.
 

fitinferno

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
371
0
London, UK
Applespider said:
Given that the experts said in the papers that the bombers made a mistake going for the first/last carriages of the Tubes and should have gone for the middle of the train for maximum effect, I've decided just to get on wherever I'm planning on getting off.
Heh, that's probably the best way to do things...and if you plan it right, you get to be the lucky person who's door stops right in front of the Way Out :D It's always great to be ahead of the slower people, especially if you're trying to get somewhere.
 

spacefreak4

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2005
47
0
Virginia
Wow. I can't believe that the same type of attacks happened again. Living in America, I actually felt the safest after the first set of London terror attacks, because I thought that no terrorist would be stupid enough to try an attack so close to the previous one. But I guess I was wrong. Stay safe London.
 

hob

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2003
2,023
0
London, UK
The BBC has reported in the last 15 minutes that a man has been arrested in whitehall - outside of downing street. There are pictures of armed police taking a middle-eastern man with his shirt undone away...
 

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
1,027
0
London, UK.
hob said:
The BBC has reported in the last 15 minutes that a man has been arrested in whitehall - outside of downing street. There are pictures of armed police taking a middle-eastern man with his shirt undone away...
indeed..i wonder if they had some info on him..or if they just arrested him because he was stupid enough to stand outside the MOD with an unbuttoned shirt after 'incidents' like these..

there's something happening at university college hosp too..3 armed police went in with machine guns..and nobody's allowed in or out..
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,407
0
VA
hob said:
The BBC has reported in the last 15 minutes that a man has been arrested in whitehall - outside of downing street. There are pictures of armed police taking a middle-eastern man with his shirt undone away...

It will be great if they catch some of these guys alive. I really hope they're able to track them down and get at the people behind the whole thing.

But I'm amazed that its happened again so soon.....very sad.

D
 

Applespider

macrumors G4
At the moment, it looks like opportunists trying to copycat since it appears, thankfully, amateurish.

And we're all being told to go back to normal business... The Victoria line is apparently running on on either side of Warren St and the City branch of the Northern line is working too.

So how back to normal are we going to get... anyone still up for the MR meetup tonight? ;)
 

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
2,265
0
Hopefully this is not another one. Hopefully everything is alright across the pond...
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
The citizens of Britain and London in particular have and continue to be in my prayers. I have been listening to the coverage today on a local radio station. It's quite amazing that they were able to do this again so soon. The resolve the the British continues. Was happy to hear that no lives were lost this time. A warning to let us know of the gravity that remains in our war against terrorism. With all the cameras, it would seem very possible to make some arrests.
 

fitinferno

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
371
0
London, UK
Applespider said:
At the moment, it looks like opportunists trying to copycat since it appears, thankfully, amateurish.

And we're all being told to go back to normal business... The Victoria line is apparently running on on either side of Warren St and the City branch of the Northern line is working too.

So how back to normal are we going to get... anyone still up for the MR meetup tonight? ;)
Ah, I would've totally been up for the meetup tonight (I just saw that post today, lol) but I fell asleep until now! I'm so lazy...

I hope it was good if you all did still have it :)
 

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
935
0
Dallas, Texas
Applespider said:
At the moment, it looks like opportunists trying to copycat since it appears, thankfully, amateurish.
Or maybe others emboldened by the bombings 2 weeks ago.

Either way, I really hope that the cops catch them and give them what they deserve.

Stay safe Brits.
 

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
1,782
100
London, UK
They seem to be saying that the bombs are very similar to the ones used 2 weeks ago, which suggests it's the same group as before (people linked the bombers of two weeks ago).

They are saying that all bombs were meant to go off, but the detonators failed to set off the explosive material. I know that in Spain for example, some of the bombs did fail to go off (which is how they were able to trace the terrorists), but I don't think I have ever heard of a terrorist plot where all the bombs failed. :confused:
 

fitinferno

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
371
0
London, UK
hvfsl said:
They seem to be saying that the bombs are very similar to the ones used 2 weeks ago, which suggests it's the same group as before (people linked the bombers of two weeks ago).

They are saying that all bombs were meant to go off, but the detonators failed to set off the explosive material. I know that in Spain for example, some of the bombs did fail to go off (which is how they were able to trace the terrorists), but I don't think I have ever heard of a terrorist plot where all the bombs failed. :confused:
I'm just glad to see they all didn't properly go off. I hope that this means the police can catch who was behind putting them there in the first place and get some information out of them about who might be initiating these things.

We really need to put a stop to this...and hopefully it does not mean the start of a trend of attacks.
 

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
853
60
Pittsburgh
With any luck, these guys are associated with the terrorists of two weeks ago. If so, it's something of a miracle that none of the bombs exploded. Not only was there no loss of life, but there should be an enormous amount of information to be gained from the bombs, and hopefully one or more of the suspects can be taken alive. (It appears that one suspect was unfortunately shot dead - although with the emotions running high, I can see why the police might be a little trigger-happy.)

One of the truly sad outcomes of the bombings will be a reduction in Londoners' famous tolerance of multiculturalism. No matter how tolerant you consider yourself, it's hard to imagine now not feeling uncomfortable on a train next to a young man in Muslim garb, especially one carrying a backpack. In the end, that's probably what the terrorists want. Tolerance tends to defuse extremism - it's hard to paint general society as an enemy if they accept you.

Dave