Incipio Dual Pro or Otterbox Commuter... iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by magichoops7, Sep 25, 2012.

1. magichoops7 macrumors newbie

I have the option to get both... Which is the best?
    Thoughts/Opinions please....

2. SatManager macrumors 6502

SatManager

I just received my commuter case today. I found the fit to be very good, the rubber flaps that cover the lightning connector and the earphone plug to fit firmly in place. The case over the volume and power button are easy to use with a firm (but not hard) press with a great tactile and audible feedback. I have spine damage with a reduction in hand strength and find it easy to press the buttons.

As in anything, these are my opinions but I am happy with the case. It gives a nice feel, doesn't snag when removed from my pocket, and it does come with a screen protector (which I don't use as I keep my phone away from my keys and i have never found one that I liked).

3. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

i had the dual pro for about an hour and returned it. It is a nice looking case , but kind of feels cheap. Not overly, but was a little chauncy for my liking.
    I took it back and got the frequency as I am not one to like bulky cases.
    Got 2 otter box commuters this week though for the family for their 4s' and the fit and feel are a bit better.

4. Mark Scheuern, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

Mark Scheuern macrumors member

That's good to know. I've been reading some reviews here and on Amazon on the Commuter which mention sharp edges, hard-to-push power button, poor fit, etc., and getting a bit worried about the one I have on order. Meantime, I'm really liking my DualPro, so much so that I considered cancelling the Commuter. I'll keep my order and see how I like it compared to the DualPro.

5. brandct macrumors member

I love my Dual Pro and am thinking about ordering another one to get the color combination that I want.

6. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

The Otterbox is much better made then the Incipio, all around. Otterbox has been known to be the leading competitor in terms of 'tank' like cases.

7. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I picked up the DualPro. Otterbox looks like a great case, just don't care for the apple cutout on the back. So far, I really like the DualPro. The fit and feel is nice in the hand. At first I didn't like how the case extends onto the screen at the top and bottom but it actually helps with the lip not being pulled backwards. The outer hard shell keeps the sides snug and tight. All buttons are super responsive and very easy to push. Bought as temporary case but actually really like it. Still looking at the NGP, Frequency, and LifeProof for the future.

[​IMG]

8. BigRedOne macrumors regular

20 mins ago installed the Otter Box Commuter on my iPhone 5, fit is right on. Feels really good in the hand. Don't know about the other case, never used one.

This is my first Otter box, so I really do not know if it will hold up to the many positive posts. But it feels and looks like it will do just fine.

9. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Pics?

10. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

I would love to see more shots of the Incipio DualPro from different angles!

11. v3rn macrumors regular

The opening on the back of the Commuter killed it for me. Great spot for sand and anything else to scratch the back of the phone and make it's way into the case. I've owned otterbox and incipio dualpro cases before, they both make good accessories. I would go check both out at a wireless store or best buy, they usually carry both of them.

So I ordered a Dualpro, waiting for it to come. But it will just be a temporary case until I receive my Rokshield. And then I'll be waiting for a Taktik. Check out the Rokshield though, should be shipping in October.

www.rokform.com

12. Wise87 macrumors 6502

I put a Wrapsol rear shield on the back of mine so there is no chance of mine getting scratched. Plus I wanted the logo to show through.

13. whitesand macrumors regular

Those were my reasons for deciding against the otterbox commuter...Still looks like a solid case but I went with the dualpro...Everything lined up and fit perfectly when I put the case on the very first time...

14. hoppyjr macrumors newbie

I have the Dual Pro and compared it to the Otterbox Commuter today. The Commuter seems more slippery to me, in addition to slightly bigger in all dimensions. I went with the Dual Pro and I'm happy with it.

15. BigRedOne macrumors regular

i would love to show pictures, but my new iPhone 5 is locked. I tried transferring all my old data using iCloud and it just froze. Now I cannot use my old phone, nor my new one. Heading to Apple store first thing in the am.

16. Crotalus_Joe macrumors regular

Thanks for the link! If the Rokshield was waterproof/resistant i would have ordered one already.

I am leaning towards a LifeProof right now. For normal use i prefer the phone without a case, but i do a lot of fishing and like to take pics. The iPhone camera is much better than my old waterproof camera so I would prefer using it.

17. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

Anyone know of a retail store that carries Incipio Dual Pro for iPhone 5, preferably black. It is backordered on both Amazon and Incipio's site.

18. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Check AT&T or Radio Shack. Both carry Incipio although stock is limited.

19. msmith2112 macrumors 6502

msmith2112

Verizon stores carry them. Mine had a ton available, black included.

20. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I ordered an Otterbox Commuter when I pre-ordered the iPhone 5, but it's on backorder. I just received my iPhone yesterday and went to a Verizon store for help getting it activated, and ended up buying the Dual Pro while I was there, since I don't want to carry around my new phone unprotected. So far I like it - it has a nice grip to it, and feels slim overall. The one thing I don't like about it is that it seems to attract a TON of pocket lint...not sure if it's due to the materials or what, but I have to continually wipe/blow off the screen before each use.

I'll follow up once I receive the Commuter and get a chance to compare them.

21. kschles macrumors regular

kschles

I got a Dualpro from the Verizon store as well, and have been using it for several days. I like the feel of the case. The Iphone feels protected, without the case adding a lot of bulk. However, I took the case off today; and a lot of dust, dirt, and lint managed to to work its way under the rubber case. I do carry the Iphone in my pocket quite a bit. I'm not really thrilled by that, so I'm re-thinking my case options.

22. photojenic macrumors newbie

damn this case looks so dope .. almost like the new lambo marce .. SO DOPE!! Bat mobile style !!

23. magichoops7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just received the commuter case in the mail... It's a little heavier and bulkier than the Incipio DualPro but the Commuter case doesn't pick up lint/dust from your pockets. The commuter case has a much better feel and overall 4.5/5... However, you have to use ''some" force with the sleep/wake button... But not a big deal...

Now to decide whether to put the Otterbox screen protector on or use the Moshi I bought? OPINIONS ??

24. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

I assume it should fit the Sprint version iPhone 5 32GB?

25. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

I have the Commuter case and the screen protector from Otterbox that came with it. It is not that great of a screen protector. I had problems putting it on, and I never have problems with a screen protector. It doesn't cover the whole device, leaving open cuts on the top and bottom. I am waiting till Powersupport comes out with one for the 5.

Here is a few pictures of Otterbox and you will see the screen protector on.

One of the reasons I am thinking about the Incipio is the open area that exposes the back and dust. I like the case, but that does worry me.

Attached Files: