Incipio DuroSHOT DRX Review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by techdude6693, Jan 9, 2011.

1. techdude6693 macrumors 6502

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

This case looks like what the Candyshell should've been and I'm sittin here now debating about picking up this case. Great review.

3. techdude6693 thread starter macrumors 6502

Definitely worth it. So far, I haven't seen any downsides to it. I was even using front and back shields during the review

4. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

I ended up getting one in yesterday. It is awesome and the buttons are disturbingly tactile. Really easy to press. My only true complaint is the $35 price tag. For $35 bucks, I would have liked the rear to be a little stiffer (wow that sounds dirty).

The plastic frame is pretty stiff, but you can feel right through the NGP material in the middle. For the price I would have liked it to be a little thicker to make it feel a little more sturdy/rugged.

Overall though the case is awesome and I would assume it will withstand some damage. I liked this case for for the iTouch and really like it here too.

Still prefer my Candyshell which has been a renewed favorite the past couple of weeks. Feels a little more protective but for those looking for a slim case with some medium range protection and can look past the price, the DRX is a good choice.

Oh, and the screen shield that mine came with had some raindowing on it. Just like the Case-mate ones. Switcheasy is the only case manufacturer that packages screen protectors that are on par with the "higher end". Power support is still the best.

5. mantic macrumors 6502a

It's a little difficult to tell in the video--is the blk/gry or blk/wht case?

6. techdude6693 thread starter macrumors 6502

Black/Grey

7. techdude6693 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its soft in the middle for better impact protection. As for the Screen Protector, I didn't see any with the incipio ones I've used in the past, right now I have a powersupport anti-glare

8. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I went to Microcenter and picked one up and this is now my favorite case. That may change when I receive my Otterbox Defender in the mail in a couple of days, but as of now this case is the best. I love the look and feel of the case. Very satisfied customer :cool:

9. techdude6693 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't like the Defender IMO. Good for protection, but ugly and kills the beauty of the display

10. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Me & the OB Defender have a love/hate relationship. This will be about my 3rd or 4th one and I've even lost one. Some days I like it and most days I don't. I keep it around for those days I do like it. I agree though it's definitely not a case for looks.

11. techdude6693 thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha yea. the only times I use it are the days when I know I'll need optimum protection

12. mantic macrumors 6502a

Has anyone see the blk/wht version in person? I was thinking about getting it but worried it might look cheap..

13. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

It's black & gray and I love the color combo personally. I picked it up today and it will be my everyday case going forward.

14. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

I get that it is for impact but considering I can feel the back of the phone through it means it should be a tad thicker in my opinion. Especially for the price. For a thin case with ok protection I really like this case. The buttons are truly fantastic and it is pretty thin.

The only real issue is there is a 10 premium over the NGP (15 when buying the NGP at Walmart for 20) and for paying that much more I would expect more protection than the standard NGP. Looking at both they have the same back and protection overall but with the DRX having the thin plastic frame that really doesn't add much to it in terms of protection.

I personally need a little more protection than that and I'm sure a few others out there do too considering how popular the Otterbox brand it. The Candyshell, despite the scratching on the black one and the flaking that goes away after a couple of days is a better overall case in terms of protection.

I would put the DRX slightly below the Commuter in terms of protection despite the exposed Apple Logo, but definitely above the Capsule Rebel since the Rebel is really squishy on the top and bottom. I also put the DRX in front of the Tough since the tough does not protect the bottom dock at all due to the loose silicone.

Seriously if this case was 24.99 (maybe $30) I would have zero issues recommending it to everyone looking for a thin case with decent protection. There are just a bunch of other options that are significantly cheaper at the moment that offer better protection while still keeping a thin profile.

15. mantic macrumors 6502a

This is the color option I was referring to:

[​IMG]

This is not black and gray..

16. techdude6693 thread starter macrumors 6502

nah, it'll look fine

17. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Exactly how thin is this case? Anything you can compare it to? It sounds like it's thinner than the NGP which to me is a good thing. Is it as thin as the SGP Neo Matte Hybrid?

18. techdude6693 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure, I don't have an SGP Neo Hybrid.

19. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

It's roughly the same size as the NGP. Appears to be the same but the plastic frame on the DRX makes it appear slightly wider and thicker by like a single millimeter. Not much difference.

As for the Neo Hybrid from SGP, the DRX is slightly thicker but not as wide since the sides are straight. The Neo Hybrid is slightly rounded and bowed on the sides. The DRX is essentially a box.

20. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

After a day or so with the case I must say that I like it, but I definitely think the price point is a bit much when you compare to other cases in the same price bracket i.e. Candyshell. This case reminds me of the NGP that I own as well. Once again decent case, but I've reverted back to to my Contour Showcase for the time being.

21. techdude6693 thread starter macrumors 6502

The NGP was my daily driver case, but now its the DRX. There's just something about the case that just impresses me. Its like the protection I'm looking for, without being to bulky

22. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

I'm assuming you got yours for free from one of the usual suspects hence the reason you are all about recommending it. I did so I know they are sending them out for "reviews".

I'm with djransom as Ihave stated my opinion already. Great case but too expensive. If I had actually paid money for this I would have been disappointed when I opened the box.

The good news is that it is still a solid case. When these things hit eBay for 25 bucks or on a coupon code discount it will be a good deal.

23. techdude6693 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did, yes price is a downpoint, but that doesn't mean the case is bad. compared to the offerings from other companies, its worth it

24. martd macrumors newbie

Sorry if this is a stupid, as well as first, post but would i need to remove this case to use a docking station?

Thanks all (looking to buy either this or the SwitchEasy Vulcan(possibly)), btw)