Incipio, Speck, or Other Cases for MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tech324, Aug 13, 2011.

1. tech324 macrumors 6502

Anyone have any opinions on how well either of these cases work for the Macbook Air? Do they scratch, stay on well, protect it well, etc? I am thinking about getting either the Incipio Feather, or the Speck Satin. If there are any other options please post as well. Thank you.

Incipio Feather Case:
    http://www.myincipio.com/MacBook-Air-13in-Cases-Accessories/Incipio-MacBook-Air-13in-feather-Ultralight-Hard-Shell-Case.asp

Speck Satin Case:
    http://www.speckproducts.com/macbook-cases/macbook-air-cases-13/satin-macbook-air-case-13-black.html

2. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I just got the speck yesterday and it looks and works very well. I really like it.

3. tech324 thread starter macrumors 6502

The Speck case stays on pretty well? I am wondering if it might scratch the air overtime also. I know the case is only held on by little clips.

4. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I havent, nor plan on dropping it, so i can't say how well it'll stay onif that were to happen. Its definitely not "tight" on there, but I haven't had any issues with it coming off or anything. Of course I've only had it one day.

5. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I have Speck clear ones on my MBP 13, 15, 17 and MBA 11.

They are awesome, and the fit is extraordinarily precise in mine. I'm always amazed that these ultra small plastic tabs keep the cases on so well.

6. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

The Speck case is held on by clips to the inside of your Air. So it won't directly scratch the Air's exterior. The only thing that will scratch your laptop is the dust and debris that may get inside between the case and the Air.

I had a Macbook before with a black satin Speck case, and it worked beautifully. Just take your case off occasionally, wipe down the Air & the Speck insides, and you'll be fine.

I think the Speck case looks sharp on the Air, especially the satin finish ones.

7. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I always read about people stating their laptops got scratched from the debris trapped beneath the Speck cases, and I don't doubt that could happen. Anecdotally, I almost never clean the debris, but the few times I do, I've not noticed any scratches at all.

I suppose it would depend on the debris. If there's any chance of glass, sand, or metallic particles, I would brush those off immediately.

8. Formula1freak macrumors member

Formula1freak

True,

As much as i loved my Speck see thru satin hardshell case to protect my previous aluminum unibody MacBook, unless you plan on taking it off frequently to clean the debris that gets trapped between the case and your MacBook, stay away from these. Simple things like dirt, dust particles, or any type of hard food particle that gets trapped can easily leave scuffs or small/hairline scratches over time if not dealt with in a timely manner. I would lean more towards cases/sleeves like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Be-ez-robe-13...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313271010&sr=1-1

These sleeves are made of a low resistance polyurethane and protect from falls by absorbing the impact and making it quick and easy acess to clean from dirt and other particles, and you can even add a zagg invisible shield for more protection. I love my La Robe air <3

9. joelseph7 macrumors newbie

I was looking at that case too. Do you have any issues with the zippers? I was worried that zipper style sleeves would scratch the MBA or would be too weak and break off like the hard candy sleeve. I opted for a simple speck case instead, this http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products-Form-Fitting-13-Inch-SPK-A0227/dp/B004LWN3R0/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313274579&sr=1-15 I hope it does the job. Does anyone have this case? Would like to hear from those who have it.

10. mac jones macrumors 68040

I just got mine today. Very nice. Extremely light for the amount of impact resistance that I think I might offer.

I had one of these for my Wacom tablet (custom for the Bamboo), and this one is the same case (larger of course).

note: I have a lot of cases but I think i'll be using this one (for reasons I stated). I haven't field tested this yet so I don't want to recommend it until I do. You never know. There might be some caveats.

11. tech324 thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone know where to get either of these cases (The incipio feather or the Speck Satin) for less than $50? I can only find them for $50 through Amazon or local

12. maclook macrumors 65816

I've read that Speck's case doesn't last long. One reviewer noted that one of the feet fell off.
    I've also read that Incipio's doesn't wear well and that the new right angle magsafes don't fit well.
    I don't like hearing about debris/dust getting stuck in between the case and the computer, resulting in scratches that negate any reason for getting the case in the first place.

This is the first time I've looked into cases since I left my old MB bare during it's whole life and never had problems. Since the MBA is so thin, I felt that I might as well add a layer of protection since it'll still be lightweight and thin but after researching my options I think I'll take Formula1freak's advice and just stick with a good sleeve.

13. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

14. maclook macrumors 65816

15. tech324 thread starter macrumors 6502

That is what I wonder. I noticed the Speck cases are sold in the Apple stores. So I assume Apple would approve of their product. However all the reviews I hear say the Speck cases crack and stuff.

16. turbotoes macrumors regular

I've got the incipio feather and am very happy with it. It doesn't seem to get dust underneath it, and the soft touch finish means I feel more secure when carrying the air about.
    The only thing I have done to mod it, is trim a tiny sliver off the edge where the top case closes over the right hand USB port, as I keep a tiny, tiny verbatim USB key in that port 24/7 and the case applied a tiny bit of pressure on it.
    All the little clips that hold the case in place seem quite strong and it's simple to put on and take off.

Mine's the dark purple, which is more like dark blue IMO.

17. tech324 thread starter macrumors 6502

How long have you had the Incipio feather? I was thinking of maybe getting this one instead of the Speck one.

18. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I've yet to hear from incipio about the magsafe issue, if they've fixed it, I'd go with them instead.

I used a Speck Satin for my MBP but I'm not sure which to choose for my air, wouldn't want a case that cracks.

19. B.Chang macrumors member

I'm trying to find a sleeve for an 11" MBA that is very thin and will protect from scratches.

Does anybody know of one???

20. turbotoes macrumors regular

I've had it about three weeks, bought it to protect my 2011 MBA, I was going to get the Speck initially but decided I preferred the solid color of the Incipio

21. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

Does it still have the problem with obstructing the magsafe adapter?

22. turbotoes macrumors regular

No, the case is clear of the MagSafe port on all four sides, about 1mm top and bottom and 4mm on the rear. It is also clear of all other ports.

23. Bonilla macrumors member

Bonilla

I just bought mine Air ultimate and i was not sure to buy a case or bag, but my last experience with MBP 15" with speck let me chose, I never have any scratch on my last MBP.

So I got the satin speck case in black and let me tell you

Looks!+ so coool +1

Like Macbook air on black

Let me know your opinion.

This pic with flash:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/805/20110814230211.jpg/

This without flash:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/20110814230252.jpg/

Closed.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84/20110814230342.jpg/

24. tech324 thread starter macrumors 6502

That looks nice. I heard the Incipio Feather does not let the Apple logo show through. Which for me would be nice.

25. Bonilla macrumors member

Bonilla

Thank you tech324, yeah i was worry about if the black case could let the apple logo can show, and then we have an excellent view.

Just when remove the case i will be very carefully and dont get any scratches for the action and thats all.