Incredible AppleCare Experience!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uhslax24, Feb 22, 2014.

1. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

Some backstory:
    I bought my first rMBP when they first came out in 2012. Loved it to death, used it as my workhorse, but it was plagued with GPU issues. After 6 months of troubleshooting and diagnostics, AppleCare offered me a replacement machine.

I was thrilled, had a working machine, and all was well for 13 months.

New problems:
    In January, my SSD started having problems. Finder and the OS as a whole would hang, etc. Ran a hardware test, got a SATA error, and sent it in to have the SSD replaced.

Got the computer back, still had the same issues. At this point, did some further testing to ensure it wasn't a software issue (preferences, etc.).

After confirming the issue wasn't limited to software my advisor (to my surprise) offered to replace the machine with a late '13 model of equivalent features.

She offered me a 15" 2.6/16/512 model, and mentioned that I could pay $500 to upgrade the SSD. $500 is far too much for 1tb IMHO.

As we were setting up the mail exchange, I asked if I could do it via the Apple Store instead. She said she wasn't sure, but would be happy to call the store and see.

She spoke with the Genius admin at my local store, and they agreed to have me in to do the exchange in-store.

I visited the store this morning to meet with the Genius admin and she informed me that because they only have certain models in stock, the only comparable models for which they could do an even exchange were those with 1TB SSD's.

Long story short:
    I walked out of the store a very lucky man with a maxed-out 15" rMBP.

I'm a satisfied Apple customer :)

2. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Lol, nice one! :D
    I'm waiting for my mid 2012 rMBP to develop faults, but nothing yet :)

3. sjinsjca macrumors 68010

sjinsjca

Fantastic story, and all too typical of my own experience. AppleCare is a whole 'nother reason to go Mac, as if the build quality, software quality, OS X quality and user-experience quality weren't reasons enough.

4. kathyricks macrumors 6502

Wow were you fortunate! Especially if your new maxed out machine is troublefree for at least a few years. Interesting to hear that SSD's in real world use are not necessarily as bulletproof as they have been made out to be.

5. uhslax24 thread starter macrumors 6502

uhslax24

Certainly was interesting to continue having trouble with the SSD's -- especially peculiar that one has the same issues as the last. I suspect that it was something with surrounding hardware that caused the issues -- like the SATA cable.

Can't know for sure, though!

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I have always been impressed with Apple's customer service.

As to the OP, they did the right thing. Hopefully, you won't have anymore problems.

----------

Who has been touting said drives as bulletproof? I haven't read of such rhetoric.

7. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Maybe that is why Apple changed to the PCIe flash storage so soon.

Congrats on the new rMBP. I purchased a Macbook Pro on ebay back in 2010 that started to have flickering of the screen. I sent it in under the existing Applecare and they stated that they replaced the logic board, but the issue still existed when I got it back. Ultimately, after a little complaining, they ended up giving me a brand new replacement. So a used Macbook Pro from ebay later turned into a new Macbook Pro from Apple.

8. RMXO macrumors 6502a

I recently had to get my mid 2012 MBP for repairs and the intial callback from Apple Store rep was that they were not going to repair my LCD for free since there were small puncture holes and Apple Care didn't cover it. But when I got a 2nd callback 4 days later, they told me they replaced the LCD for free.

9. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I had a 21" iMac screen replaced for free last year, was over 2 years out of warranty and no apple care:)

10. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

Very lucky! Nice to hear about some good experiences at the store.

11. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Good to hear another story of excellent customer service!

12. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

13. uhslax24 thread starter macrumors 6502

uhslax24

This SSD's speed is blowing my mind...

Old 2012 rMBP:
    [​IMG]

New rMBP (1TB SSD):
    [​IMG]

14. RMXO macrumors 6502a

You're so lucky. Part of me is hoping I have to keep on bringing back my MBP for repairs but I know I'm not that lucky in getting something like you.

15. uhslax24 thread starter macrumors 6502

uhslax24

It was seriously the result of everything aligning perfectly...requesting to do the exchange in store was key because they don't have a huge variety of configurations in-stock, but they do usually have maxed out models.

Crazy though...I'm still in disbelief! :D

16. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

Good deal. Any tips on how to deal with Apple with warranty issues like this? You obviously received exceptional service. What kind of disposition did you have in speaking with them (i.e were you nice, angry, passive, aggressive, etc)?

17. uhslax24 thread starter macrumors 6502

uhslax24

Definitely be nice and friendly.

Remember, the issues you are having are not the fault of the person you are talking to, even though they represent apple. It's better to have an advocate than anything else IMO. Also keep in mind that the rep you're talking with talks with a ton of other people every day. Take the opportunity to be refreshing. Talk to them.

The 2nd largest component is to be persistent. If the issue you are having persists, get to a senior advisor and be in contact whenever the issue occurs (video & screenshots are huge because they're practically irrefutable).

Finally, be reasonable and realize that there is a human on the other end of the line. Treat them as such and don't look for handouts. Be pleasant to talk with. Apple is courteous enough to provide a consistent point of contact; be courteous enough to build rapport and get to know that person on some level beyond a means to an end.

At the same time, don't be afraid to ask for the solution that is best for you. I did this with the replacement. I use the machine for work and sending it in over and over for an unknown problem is very inconvenient (and it affects my productivity/profitability).

Does that answer your question?

18. augustya macrumors 68020

augustya

Can you please elaborate what was this GPU issues that your rMBP had ? Was it a GPU dedicated machine ? Was it a GPU Failure ?

19. uhslax24 thread starter macrumors 6502

uhslax24

Yes, I had a dedicated GPU

It was hard to diagnose. I had some glitching on the screen and some notable sounds coming from the top left hand corner of the keyboard.

The primary reason they replaced it is because the issue was so unique and they could not diagnose it after several repairs. My machine was sent to Cupertino to be tested further by engineering.

Sorry I can't be more specific!

20. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

Yes, definitely great tips to keep in mind. Thanks!

21. uhslax24 thread starter macrumors 6502

uhslax24

No problem!

22. augustya macrumors 68020

augustya

Yet another Dedicated GPU Failure case :rolleyes:

23. uhslax24 thread starter macrumors 6502

uhslax24

Haha, yeah. I'm glad to have not experienced it for a while!

24. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

well i hope i am as lucky as you are. I already had one screen replacement, and replacement of a few key caps. Now my backlight does not work and neither does my left usb port, as well as my charger cable being frayed. How many repairs qualifies for a replacement?

25. uhslax24 thread starter macrumors 6502

uhslax24

There's no policy (publicly stated at least), but I've often heard that 3 failures of the same major module (SSD, Logic Board, etc.) warrants a discussion about replacement.

The best way to approach it: "(name of rep), thank so much for your time working through this with me. One thing I am concerned about is the number of times that this machine has been in for repairs. I use this computer for (work, school, whatever), and it's tough for me to continue sending it in and getting it back with more issues.

At what point do we start considering other options outside of continued repairs?