"Indiana Jones" first review: "Smart, sleek, familiar"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Thomas Veil, May 18, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Sounds good to me!

Just last week I re-viewed "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" in preparation for this film, and I have to tell you, I'm pumped! I'd almost forgotten just how much freakin' fun these movies are. But even though I'm over 50, I feel like a teenage fanboy waiting for this picture.

From this review, it sounds like it's as good as we all hoped it would be. :)

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Russians baddies are sooooo '80s. He should have gone to Iraq in "Indiana Jones: Search for the WMD" and died of boredom.

3. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I can't wait for the new movie. I have watched the first 2 with the kids and we are going to go see the new movie in the theater after we watch the 3rd movie.

Cheers.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it actually looks pretty good. i'm glad that their not breaking away from the franchise though as that would just ruin it completely.

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

7. Keebler macrumors 68030

i can't wait to go.

I think the biggest thing is to not put such huge expectations.

For me - I just want Indy fun. cheesy lines, heroic actions and he wins in the end.

i get chills when I hear the theme song while watching the trailer!

to clarify, it's Wednesday night or early Thursday morning at midnight or late Tuesday/early Wednesday A.m.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Gonna be a normal holiday weekend mid week release Wednesday morning at midnight.

9. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

The main reasons I'd watch this is obviously for Harrison Ford and I'm excited to finally see Karen Allen again (even if it's 27 years later...). The main downer of this movie for me instantly, will be Shia LaBeouf...no offense to him, but he's the one of the most unlikely people I'd have expected to see in an Indy film..
    + He's a very poor actor imo, transformers really wasn't an 'acting' movie anyway.

If talks of the sequel (which Lucas was rumoured to state) focus on Shia LaBeouf, I easily won't watch that. I just hope this movie is at least better than Temple of Doom...:p

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I though that guy was awesome in Transformers. It didn't take a great actor, but it did take a "regular guy" with a sense of humour, and that's how I'd describe Indy. He passes my test.

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It's not doing extraordinarily well on rotten tomatoes so far hovering between 65-75% (the others installments rated between 85-95%)*. From the reviews it sounds like you'll enjoy if you are a fan of the originals and carry in that enthusiasm. Which I guess describes everyone.

*Yes, yes. I know numbers mean nothing for a real cinema fan.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Likewise.

I am looking forward to seeing it. :)

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think/hope it'll be exactly what you should expect from an Indy film and nothing more. Reviewers really get my goat sometimes. People want a film to entertain them, not be a Shakespearean "master piece".

Was just reading in the paper that the over all feeling from Cannes was that it was a good sequel. So that's good enough for me...then again if they had said it was crap I'd have still wanted to see it, I mean, what do they know? :p :D

14. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

after watching the last crusade on BBC HD last night, I can't wait to see the new one!!

come on Indy :)

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Exactly. Besides, these people went to the Cannes Film Festival, the largest film festival in the world, to watch Indiana Jones. It's not as bad as going to watch the premiere screening of "Dude, Where's My Car?", but I'd assume that most people get dressed up for Cannes to see the rarer gems rather than the films they'll be able to see at any cinema, in any country. Why should I trust their judgement when it already seems so poor?

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Hey I liked 'Dude, Where's My Car?" :D :eek:

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I loved that movie too! *high five* Tattoo scene (aka: The "Duuuuude! Sweeeeet! Duuuuuuuuuuude! Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!" scene) was awesome.

I wouldn't fly 20000 km to Cannes, dress up in a suit, and go watch its premiere, though.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The Los Angeles Times ran a review of the movie this morning on the front page. That's how we know that LA is a company town, and also that the Times is so desperate for readership that they'll try almost anything.

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The accompanying photo of Spielberg/Lucas/Ford was notable mostly for the gray hair!

Even if the Times promotes Hollywood, their film reviews seem balanced, and they liked this film overall as an action flick, complaining only that it drags in the middle.

We got our original Indiana Jones DVDs out of the closet, and we'll have fun watching them again too. I'm glad they brought back Karen Allen for the new movie.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I haven't read the entire review yet, but Kenneth Turan is a trustworthy movie critic who doesn't kowtow to the industry (he didn't like Iron Man, the latest bankable blockbuster). Still, I've taken the Times for probably 30 years and never seen them review a movie on the front page, as though it was one of the most important news events of the day. At least they ran the review below the fold! And I guess they had to run that picture of Spielberg & pals instead of a photo of Harrison Ford in character, because that would have looked, you know, too much like an advertisement.

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Maybe the Times writers are of the age where the return of Indiana Jones is a life-altering event, the way the return of Star Wars movies was a thrill for so many fans.

In any case, think of it this way: If that's a worthy front page story, then there must be fewer multi-car crashes, gang shootouts, celebrity arrests, political scandals, forest fires, mudslides, or other typical L.A. events news to report. So this way they didn't have to resort to reporting Dog Bites Man.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You're being more generous than I can be, having watched the Times steadily diminish as a newspaper over the last ten years or so, especially after they were taken over by the Tribune Corp. Running a movie review on the front page is just another sign that they have completely given up on being taken seriously. I bet they get a lot of letters.

23. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Da da da, da da, da da daaaa!

Who here is going to a midnight screening? I am...and I plan to see it a second time this weekend. The Indiana Jones movies have always been incredibly fun!

24. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Other reviews are looking very good as well, although Roger Ebert gets into more detail than I'd like. If you're the kind of person who'd rather be surprised and delighted going into this movie, rather than already knowing what it's all about, I'd advise you skip his review.

25. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Yes, and it has accelerated. We just shake our heads sometimes. But that's a topic for another thread.