Inexpensive, powered speakers to hook up to airport expess.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by reubs, Jul 16, 2009.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2006
    My wife is abt to have a child, and she wants some speakers for her iPod to have in the del room. I'd like to double up and use them at home as a small set up for use with our iTunes library.

It's not a huge house, and we don't need anything fancy. Can someone recommend decent powered speakers for less than $150.00?

Thanks in advance!
  2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

Dec 29, 2006
    dallas, texas
    Congrats on the baby, it sounds like you just need computer speakers. Powered Speakers are nicer but they require a lot of additional work. In all honesty you can go out and get a set of Creative or Logitech's that will def. suit the purposes you are going to use them for and we are only talking about $50.

My normal speaker comments:
    The general recommendations are going to be some Bose product that I won't recommend and people will make jokes about. The Sound Sticks which people seem to be giving a lot of credence to these days. I'll recommend the Altec Lansing FX6021, which will lead to another discussion. Then someone will recommend the Logitech Z-2300. At this point, someone will recommend that something from Wal-Mart that costs $25.00 and they will swear it that's greatest thing ever. Someone will then recommend Bose and get flamed, followed by the comment about get yourself a good set of cans (headphones), because those will always sound better. Somewhere along the way the M-Audio's will be thrown around, followed by people like me recommending a different set of pro monitors, followed by another Bose posts. There are a couple of intangibles: someone might recommend the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1, Creative's T40 or some other Logitech that's probably not as good as the Z-2300s. After about 20 posts or so, the general consensus will be reached by a couple of users, you should probably just go hear them for yourself, making the thread can decide...

Here is one thread for $100 USD. Good Discussion.
    USB Speaker Discussion Here
    Here is another discussion
    Wireless Thread Here...although it diverged.
    2.0 DiscussionHere
    $200 Discussion Here
  3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Oct 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Logitech has several different sets for less than that, and I've always had good luck with their stuff. Check them out.
  4. techound1 macrumors 68000

Mar 3, 2006
    Oooh, that's a nice budget to play with - and golden has some nice links for you.
  5. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2008
    Columbus, OH

Love your analysis..... very well done!!

OP: I've owned a few logitecs and a Bose set as well. But for your budget I'm in the camp that thinks that the HK Soundsticks II are the sure way to go. I had a set that I gave to my brother. I'm now waiting until after I move to new apartment to set a new set.
  6. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2008
    Columbus, OH