Infighting on MR iPhone sub-forum

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Ingster, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

I've been a longtime lurker and a fairly recent member, i've enjoyed all the rumors and discussions, checking the site and forum several times per day. I loved the run up to the iPad, and got addicted to the UK iPhone 4 thread.
    Recently though i've started to dislike the forum, more and more trolls coming in, arguments over the signal issue (yes i have an iP4 and yes i do have the signal issue, but am happy enough holding it in my right hand until there is a fix/recall), everyone biting back at each other, the sense of community is not there anymore.

I'm an apple fanboy, i admit that but i do recognise there is a problem with the iP4, not enough for me to return it but for some it may seem necessary.

I'm not out to attack or offend and i do realise everyone is entitled to their own opinion i just think we could be a little friendlier to each other, we all like apple - this is an apple rumor site afterall! - so why not try to get along better.

I know this post will get slammed by certain people and probably most won't give a damn, so i'll duck and cover and wait for the onslaught!

2. Simbazz macrumors regular

Totally agree, I only joined in the build up to the iPhone 4, and the UK thread is brilliant.

This forum was brilliant, but all the fighting and bickering over the issues the iPhone 4 has is ruining it. Why can't there just be one thread in regards to the issues at hand? Instead of a billion, that's where the fighting starts!

Lets all be friends, yeah? :)

3. frenchie0101 macrumors 6502

just like any forum you get idiots!, however it is still a great resource and there is a lot more decent people on here with great knowledge, you just learn to take it all with a pinch of salt, i always think its down to jealousy

4. Simbazz macrumors regular

You have a point there,

What I don't get is why those with the reception/antenna problem, some of those guys talk some utter crap in regards to those of us who are damn lucky to seemingly not have them.

Its just like the camera yellowing issue, its there on some, on others, not so much.

5. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Well said. I am a regular member on two forums - the other being the EU World of Warcraft forums. In the past few weeks this forum has reminded me of the WoW ones - so much flaming, immaturity and anger. I've seen so many troll posts and simple responses with a lolcat-esque image in response to the person's post - I always considered the community here to be generally more mature.

People are just angry about it - and to the people who don't have issues I can see why its so annoying to have people bashing a great phone. Its also been hyped up alot - I'm sure alot of people are complaining about losing one or two bars when the real issue is just losing complete data flow, not simply two bars. But then on the other hand the people who actually have the issue come here trying to get news about a response from Apple and just get people saying "its not a real issue, get over it" when it actually is. Here's hoping Apple does something soon so these forusm calm down.

6. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

FWIW I agree. The level of bitchiness around has increased recently from kindergarten level to High School level. A further increase to, say, 90210 level will probably mean I'll go elsewhere for my Apple rumour fixes:)

I'm not sure why this should be, but some people seem to mock and/or attack others based solely on their view of an inanimate object. Some posters have been attacked with a huge degree of vitriol because ther level of knowledge isn't perhaps as high as it might be, or their theories are slightly flawed. This is not really acceptable and is really just a swaggering style of bullying on the part of some of those who can't or won't just ignore threads they disagree with or use soft/reasoned tones in their responses.

Strange and disappointing. It's just a phone. Yes, I want one, yes I'm wary of the various issues involved, yes I'll probably still buy one. It looks like a great phone and Apple does have a hugely loyal fan base but nevertheless it's still only a phone - I don't mind if people think it's not a good phone since it's my decision and my money I'll be spending, no-one else's.

What I do mind is some (few, thankfully) posters feel obligated to heap derision on those who hold a different opinion to them. Perhaps the moderators need to be a little more heavy-handed for a few days until things calm down?

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Agreed. Much too much flaming occurs in the forums. Aside from being unpleasant, it lowers the signal-to-ratio of information.

Perhaps there should a dedicated forum for controversial issues so that the blowhards can feel that they have had their say. Greater use of the ban-hammer would also not go amiss.

8. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

It's a good thing most of you aren't Mods, seriously. The level of bias you're exhibiting towards others right now is exactly what you're professing to be complaining about.

As one Mod has already stated, if you're not interested in participating, move along, nobody is forcing you to read this subforum, nobody is there beside you clackin' out your posts, nobody is there with a hammer hitting your finger on the Submit or Submit Reply button.

Just move along... in time things will return to somewhat-normal for this place, just like it always does after a product launch/release - the hysteria over how cool something could be can also be flipped around and become anger over how defective it could be in pretty much the same measure.

Move along...

9. Simbazz macrumors regular

Never to criticise the moderators here, a site this size must take some real work! But, being a little over heavy for a day or two does seem to calm things down from my knowledge on other forums.

10. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

It does - I'm a mod on a site where we often receive suggestions to close down our Lounge area due to flames/dodgy content. I won't allow that to happen on my watch, but equally if I think individuals are getting out of hand then I'll take steps to remedy that.

Being a mod isn't easy, and the volumes here are huge, but a board like this will eventually wither away if the atmosphere becomes too hostile.

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

'Bias'? There are many instances of name-calling, putting down people for requesting information, and other forms of impolite behaviour. It's just not necessary and it clutters the site up.

I am not suggesting that any moderator stops people from having their say (unless they cross the line and break MR forum rules), but to move more controversial threads to their own forum.

12. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

I would simply add that:

The iPhone subforum here is one small part of the equation. If the OP had said "Infighting on MR's iPhone subforum" it would be a bit more accurate, to some degree.

But this particular subforum is just one small part of it all. Consider that each day more people get computers, more people get online, more people find this forum, more people are buying Apple products (curses!!!), and hence more "content" is going to appear for a wide variety of reasons.

The primary rule of a Moderator is to moderate, per board rules, per the board's owner or most senior Admin, and do it without bias - that's the toughest part of all because people will attack Mods on a personal level over issues that are completely related to forum activity, and that's a problem all by itself.

I've been a Mod on hundreds of forums over the decades - just because we have "The Internet" as it exists today doesn't mean it's always been like this, long ago there were bulletin board systems and before that it was all Usenet which I continue to use to this day, and have done so since 1976.

I admire the Mods here for not going heavy handed - heavy handed would mean they're taking a different stance from the normal one, leaning towards a given direction, and that basically means biased towards or against something, and that can't be done or else the entire concept of "moderating" becomes "censoring based on mood/content" and again, it's a no-no.

This place - and this subforum - are just fine as it is. It's as normal as any Internet forum I'm presently associated with, probably even more so come to think of it.

Take a chill pill, folks, play with your iPhones or something, move along... ;)

13. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

You and others are basically saying "I don't like this situation" which is a personal motive, it's something you don't like, and that doesn't have anything to do with the rules.

Show a Mod a specific example of something that flat out flies in the face of the MacRumors forum rules or guidelines and they'll do something about it.

If they're not doing anything presently - and they are quite busy, that's a given - then there's nothing wrong. Get over it, it's not your forum, it's theirs, for the most part. Let them handle it the way arn and others see fit.

Don't like it? As stated, move along...

14. Simbazz macrumors regular

With respect, its people like you who cause the fighting. Your tone is completely not needed, its almost as if you're talking down to us.

If you don't agree with whats being said, then I believe you should follow you own advice :)

15. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Nah, I'll let a Mod stop by and close the thread for being yet another pointless one amongst so many.

This is the iPhone subforum and it's not open for topics that realistically aren't iPhone-related hence this very thread is going against the rules by being off-topic itself.

This would best be served in the Site and Forum Feedback subforum.

NEXT!!!

16. Simbazz macrumors regular

Ok, I've tried to level with you, now I'm going to move onto the ignoring you. I feel everyone should do the same in this thread.

17. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Something Moderators can't afford to do, unfortunately... not that I am one here at MacRumors, but... if I went around ignoring every childish or stupid person that crossed my path, I wouldn't be able to point out how childish and stupid they were being by saying "I'm not gonna listen to you anymore <virtual equivalent of stomping their feet, sticking out their tongues, plugging their ears with their fingers>"

Don't worry, you'll be fine.

18. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

I'm tempted to go all 90210 on you, but that would be just too ironic and probably miss the mark anyway. Your arguments may well be valid, but unfortunately your delivery is somewhat less than diplomatic.

Suffice to say your tone proves the OP's point rather well.:(

19. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Memorandum

Not at all. I give a damn... it's nice to be reminded that there's others with the same sentiment. And I agree, things have been very tense on the forums lately. I think a lot of people are stressed or disappointed with the iPhone, those people vent their frustration but many also make false claims and whine, which in turn upsets the long-time regulars here.

Part of this is due to the season, the iPhone, and kids being out of school for the summer with too much time on their hands.;) But also keep in mind that with eve new product that :apple: is gaining more marketshare and a wider fan base. This lends to, unfortunately, a less intelligent (or shall we say "uninformed") base as well as a younger group of product owners who don't hesitate to judge, criticize apple and is fans, or otherwise cause unneeded conflict. However, I believe that a number of said trolls aren't even apple product owners at all (or maybe own one apple device, like an iPod), let alone apple fans. I get the sense that many are really just taking this opportunity, where there is a highly publicized flaw with the iPhone, to generally wreak havoc on the forums.

But I tip my hat to your intent, your sincerity and optimism. I think we could all try a little harder to be kind and respectful of each other. The tone in the past has often been light and sometimes jovial, but also explorative and helpful. I say keep up the positive attitude and maybe we can hope it becomes contagious. If nothing else, know that with the influx of young and new MacRumors members, we ought to set an example of how to act and treat each others (and yes, remind newbies of proper forum etiquette, but do so respectfully and not fan the flames). None of us is perfect, and we all can lose our patience, but let's keep the big picture in mind. I initially came to the forums for the information, entertainment, community and the camaraderie it (sometimes!) provides. I'd like to maintain, or see a return to that. Let's not implode from all this craziness and steer things in the right direction.

And with that said... YES WE CAN! (sorry, had to be done :D)

Here's to the MacRumors we all know and love! Slainte! :)

20. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

Oh the irony!

...isn't it ironic that the thread title: Infighting on MR forums

...and this very thread is turning into just that?

My story about the iPhone 4 (i will keep it brief)..

received iP4 directly from Apple (two completely different spread-apart serial numbers) - both have antenna issues, both lose signal when cupped or not cupped and just held normal the Steve way.

I love Apple products, and have spent many thousands of Pounds, and have never ever had to return any Apple products ever.

However, the signal issues with these two phones after a whole week of trying to put up with it was simply unacceptable.

I have decided to return them both, and get my money back - but I have done this with a heavy heart, and changing my mind twice about it !!

But what I won't do is bash Apple for it, or bash other people that agree or disagree with me. What's the point?

If a product does not work, as it should do, then I have made my own personal decision to return it and get my money back.

There is no need to Sue, class action lawsuit, or bash anyone in the process.

I'm fairly sure that Apple is doing something about it - and that's fine by me.

Finally, the iP4 is a great phone/device, it really is, so much so, I will buy one when the storm calms down, and perhaps a completely fairly fault-less batch emerges in a few months time.

/peace to everyone, and be nice!

21. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

22. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

I like where some of you are taking this. But, for the others, please...let's not start fighting in here either.

Can we agree to, at least in this thread, stay positive? Let's set the tone, maybe even STICKY, five star, whatever this thread... Just maybe we can send a positive message and get things back on track! :confused: :eek: :)

23. Simbazz macrumors regular

Due to one person, it seemed so, but I'm sure people can just block him out. I know I've put him on my ignore list, I don't need people talking to me in the manner.

Anyways, sad to see you returned them. Knowing Apple, they will do something, if they don't...then it could seriously harm mine and a lot of others thoughts on their future products.

24. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

OP, MODS, WHOEVER...quick! Amend the thread title! This needs to stay in the iPhone forum. :D