info on battery life without sync

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by al404, Jul 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. al404 macrumors 6502

al404

I'm interested in an Apple watch, actually I have a gear fit 2 and i use it for:

- motivational for move from my desk when I'm working
    - track how much i walk during the day
    - track how much i sleep , it tracks the total hours of sleep and how if is deep or not

I'm not going to use it connected to the phone and in sync with it, i have an iPhone 6

how long can it run on battery used without phone sync?

as far as i know apple watch doesn't have a sleep tracker is it going to be in next iOS version? not sure if Apple released the beta like for iOS

does it has a valid third party app integrated with apple health for sleep?

any difference in battery life between apple watch 1 and 2?

any alternative watch / band that works great with apple health?

2. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

dont buy the apple watch if you dont plan on syncing it to a phone (it must be synced for initial setup). Not sure why you refuse to sync it given you have an iphone 6 though.

3. al404, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017

al404 thread starter macrumors 6502

al404

i did not mean that wasn't going to sync for initial setup and every few days but that i will not keep the BT connection on for notifications, alerts and so on

4. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

You obviously don't understand how the :apple:Watch works. You don't "sync" it to your iPhone.

5. al404 thread starter macrumors 6502

al404

Sorry maybe did not explain exactly what I meant

I had an android watch and now the gear fit 2 and I used them with an android device

Both could be used to track walking and other activity. Most of the people that use these whatces keep the watch connect via Bluetooth at their mobile phone so thei can get notification, SMS, call directly on the watch. I never used thes features because I don't need them and also drain the battery.

I used my gear fit 2 to collect data about walking, sleep and other activities and once a week I connected the watch via Bluetooth to the phone so it can sync the data with SHealth

I can still that on iPhone too, but I was evaluating Apple Watch. Maybe it work in a different way, since I know that can run standalone app I thought it was possible to connect the watch to iPhone via BT to sync the data once in a while.

Since on android wearable the notification sync between the watch and the phone make a huge difference in terms of battery life I was asking the same thing over Apple Watch

Did I got it wrong?

6. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

You can keep the AW on Airplane Mode to keep its radios off, which indeed helps with battery life.

It'll log workouts, step data, and all that other stuff, storing it until you take it out of Airplane Mode and it re-syncs with the phone.

The bigger battery drain is the LEDs used for heart rate monitoring during workouts. You'd still need to top it off daily if you monitor workouts with it. If you use a bluetooth chest strap to get HR, it's a little more efficient (but then you'd need to take the watch out of Airplane Mode so it'll connect to the strap, too).

To answer your primary question: Using the AW minimally, though, the AW can run for three or four days. Tried it myself earlier this year as an experiment.

BUT, you'd be missing out on a lot of the capability of the AW. It would be, in effect, a bulkier Fitbit or Vivosmart but with shorter battery life.

7. al404 thread starter macrumors 6502

al404

thanks, i guess i will keep my gear fit 2

the bad part is that it can't sync with apple health, i read around internet and seems that Apple health can get data from external source but as far as i know most tracker use proprietary app and don't integrate with apple health

A display is useful but i could also consider some activity tracker, not sure witch can share data with Apple Health

8. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Other tracker gadget manufacturers have to protect their own hardware from losing sales, and they're doing it by blocking data from other sources. Most visibly, during the first few months after the launch of the original Apple Watch, Fitbit's platform used to read step data that had been gathered by the AW. Fitbit saw that they could lose sales of their bands (who would keep using a Fitbit if their new AW did the same job?), so they updated their platform's iOS app to ignore any data from the AW.