Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Infuse 5.3 is here, and it's our biggest update of the year! Ok, maybe that's not saying much since 2017 still has a ways to go - but this update includes our awesome new playback core, parental controls, support for more formats, and a bunch of other great improvements which make it pretty amazing.

Here's all the deets on what's new...

New, ultra-high-performance playback core
The new, revamped Infuse playback core is now faster and better than ever before. We started at the very foundation, and worked our way through the entire playback pipeline, improving and optimizing almost everything along the way to deliver exceptional performance for nearly every video type.

infuse53-perf_2x.jpg

Flexible parental controls
Playing your favorite content is great, but sometimes it's what's not playing that's important. New parental controls provide flexible options for limiting what type of videos your little ones can access. Set PIN code restrictions for movie and TV show age ratings - it even works with Touch ID on iOS devices too.

infuse53-family_2x.jpg

Even more video formats
Infuse has expanded its bag of tricks, and now supports Blu-ray disc images (ISO) and folders (BMDV). These will be recognized and added to your Library automatically - just tap to play.

infuse53-bluray_2x.jpg

Plus a whole lot more...
Numerous other features and improvements are included in 5.3, and a complete list of what's new can be found here.

Do more with PRO
We think you're really going to love what we've added in 5.3, and when you download Infuse 5 you can test drive all the awesome new Infuse Pro features for an entire month, for free!

As always, we love hearing from you - so please feel free to post a comment below or drop us a note with any thoughts or questions you may have.

Enjoy! :cool:

Reactions: iccb and Dim08

dgsgc

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2015
New player is noticeably faster, good work. The meta data fetching seems better as well. When I add new episodes it has the correct art first time I open that series.

Only small negative is that opening movies favourite seems a little slow. It does have hundreds of movies in though.

Reactions: BeefCake 15

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
New player is noticeably faster, good work. The meta data fetching seems better as well. When I add new episodes it has the correct art first time I open that series.

Only small negative is that opening movies favourite seems a little slow. It does have hundreds of movies in though.
Great to hear!

Loading a folder-based favorite can be a bit slow if the folder contains a lot of items.

One way around this is to browse via the Library option, as this is an indexed view and will perform MUCH faster.

Reactions: Dim08

Moriske

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2015
Unfortunately, after many updates ..... just the same playback stuttering problems (reference movies like The Dark Knight, Avatar, etc ...) on my ATV4 with infuse Pro5.3 :oops:

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Unfortunately, after many updates ..... just the same playback stuttering problems (reference movies like The Dark Knight, Avatar, etc ...) on my ATV4 with infuse Pro5.3 :oops:
Hmm, we're seeing pretty awesome playback here after the improvements added in 5.0 and 5.3. If these are HEVC videos, we have a number of improvements for these on our roadmap, and hope to have more news on this topic available soon.

If you can drop us a quick note with a few more details we'd be happy to look further into your specific case. https://firecore.com/contact

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Is this update taking advantage of hardware decoding which Apple made accessible in 10.2?
Yes, among many other changes, Infuse 5.3 takes advantage of the new 'VideoToolbox' hardware decoding on tvOS.

Hardware decoding has been available in the iOS version since the original 1.0 release.

Reactions: BeefCake 15

thekayman

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
Yes, among many other changes, Infuse 5.3 takes advantage of the new 'VideoToolbox' hardware decoding on tvOS.

Hardware decoding has been available in the iOS version since the original 1.0 release.

Is this the case for non-native codecs / containers? I've found that trying to play atypical videos (high bitrate, m2t, mts, ts containers, mpeg2 etc.) has been a no go in any app on the aTV.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Is this the case for non-native codecs / containers? I've found that trying to play atypical videos (high bitrate, m2t, mts, ts containers, mpeg2 etc.) has been a no go in any app on the aTV.
Yes, Infuse will use VideoToolbox for anything that is h.264 based, even things in non-Apple containers (MKV, MTS, etc...). This gives us a very high bitrate threshold (IIRC it tops out around 100-110 Mbps or so - which is crazy high).

Other formats use Infuse's internal decoding, which has been heavily optimized in the recent 5.3 update. Our standard is perfect playback of high-bitrate Blu-ray content, and as far as I know Infuse is the only player that can make this claim.

Aside from that, there are two content types we are actively working to improve, and those are high-bitrate interlaced videos, and HEVC. We hope to have more news on each soon.

Of course, you can download the free version of Infuse (Infuse Pro includes a free month trial) to see how it works with your own videos firsthand. :)

Colonel Badger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
Thanks @firecore. We're having intermittent streaming issues from my Synology 216j to my Apple TV. We're streaming Mpeg 2 MKV's. Are there any "throughput" tests or debug I can enable in Infuse to diagnose? We're using SMB as the share type.

Apple TV is using Wifi, the Synology is connected to a 1Gb/s port on the router.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Thanks @firecore. We're having intermittent streaming issues from my Synology 216j to my Apple TV. We're streaming Mpeg 2 MKV's. Are there any "throughput" tests or debug I can enable in Infuse to diagnose? We're using SMB as the share type.
You might check the network connection first. The Apple TV can achieve speeds of 100Mbs over Ethernet, but goes up to 1Gbs when using Wi-Fi (802.11ac).

Also, if you have a chance to send in a report from the Apple TV, it might help us pinpoint the issue.
https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles/215090927-Troubleshooting-and-Getting-Support

Reactions: Dim08

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Just dropping by to say thanks for the latest update! The new parental control features with folder lock-down are fantastic.

Reactions: firecore

active8

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008
Why does infuse take so long to scan the titles on my QNAP TS251+ NAS? It never seems to finish scanning. :/ am ustilising an 802.11ac connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.